|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the fourth letter, what does Rilke say he wishes human beings are more reverent toward?
(d) Their sexuality.
2. In the first letter, in what manner does Rilke suggest the young poet can tend to his personal growth?
(b) Quietly and seriously.
3. What city has Rilke departed from to come to the place where he composes the fourth letter?
(a) Worpswede, near Bremen, Germany.
(b) Berlin, Germany.
(c) Viareggio, near Pisa, Italy.
(d) Paris, France.
4. What type of poetry does Rilke advise the poet not to write?
(b) Love poems and other common forms.
(c) Narrative poems.
(d) Lyric poems.
5. How does the young poet describe the writer and personal acquaintance Rilke mentions?
(a) "Living and writing with true passion."
(b) "Living and writing in heat."
(c) "Living and writing among the living."
(d) "Living and writing with blood."
6. In the fourth letter, where does Rilke instruct the young poet to look for answers to his deepest questions?
7. What is the name of the young poet who is the recipient of the letters contained in this volume?
(a) Franz Xaver Kappus.
(b) Franz Rilke.
(c) Franz Horacek.
(d) Xaver Rilke.
8. Whose ideas about sex does Rilke advise the young poet to avoid subscribing to?
(a) Jens Peter Jacobsen's.
(b) Richard Dehmel's.
(c) Rilke's own.
(d) Professor Horacek's.
9. How does Rilke say one can know if a poem is good?
(a) If it helps readers understand life.
(b) If it is inspired by necessity.
(c) If it reflects human nature.
(d) If it moves its readers.
10. In letter three, how many books does Rilke say he has published?
(a) 12 or 13.
(c) 25 or 26.
(d) 20 or 21.
11. What is Rilke's primary criticism of the young poet's writing in the first letter?
(a) It is shallow.
(b) It has no individual style.
(c) It lacks creativity.
(d) It does not rhyme.
12. In letter three, what does Rilke claim to be the most important element of becoming an artist?
13. How long ago has Rilke departed from the city he has left before arriving at the place where he composes the fourth letter?
(a) Two days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) A month.
(d) Two weeks.
14. Where is Rilke when he writes the second letter?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) Athens, Greece.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Viareggio, near Pisa, Italy.
15. How does Rilke advise the young poet to view sex?
(a) To rejoice in it but not lose oneself in it.
(b) To see it as a temptation to be avoided.
(c) To fear it.
(d) To distance sex from art.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young poet write about in his third letter to Rilke that Rilke mentions in his letter back to the young poet?
2. How old is the young poet when he begins corresponding with Rilke?
3. Rilke says that there is only one thing that "can grasp and hold and be just toward" art. What is that thing?
4. In the first letter, which of the young poet's pieces does Rilke say demonstrates the most talent?
5. What writer does Rilke revere most?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)