|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the second letter, who does Rilke cite as his artistic influences?
(a) The writer of the Psalms and Shakespeare.
(b) Shakespeare and Beethoven.
(c) Jens Peter Jacobsen and the writer of the Psalms.
(d) Jens Peter Jacobsen and Auguste Rodin.
2. What novel does Rilke discuss in letter three?
(a) Across the World.
(b) Jude the Obscure.
(d) Niels Lyhne.
3. What does Rilke tell the young poet to rejoice in?
(a) The young poet's work.
(b) The young poet's writing.
(c) The young poet's growth.
(d) The young poet's parents.
4. Rilke challenges the young poet to ask himself a question regarding his writing. What is that question?
(a) "Must all of these words be part of the work?"
(b) "Is my writing truly reflective of myself?"
(c) "Is my writing genuine?"
(d) "Must I write?"
5. What does Rilke advise the young poet to take comfort in if he feels uneasy in his new profession?
6. What does Rilke say about Professor Horacek in his first letter?
(a) That he holds admiration and gratitude for the professor.
(b) That the professor is a great poet.
(c) That the professor helps to nurse Rilke back to health as a boy.
(d) That the professor is a great scholar.
7. What does Rilke ask the young poet to do for him at the end of the first letter?
(a) Tell Professor Horacek of Rilke's esteem for him.
(b) Distribute Rilke's books to the young poet's friends.
(c) Visit his mother.
(d) Write a letter to the young poet's school informing the school of Rilke's success.
8. From where does Rilke write the fourth letter?
(a) Viareggio, near Pisa, Italy.
(b) Paris, France.
(c) Worpswede, near Bremen, Germany.
(d) Berlin, Germany.
9. In the first letter, which of the young poet's pieces does Rilke say demonstrates the most talent?
(a) "Ode to the Hills."
(b) Sonnet IV.
(c) "My Soul."
(d) "To Leopardi."
10. In what year is the first letter from Rilke to the young poet written?
11. To what does Rilke compare artistic experience?
12. In what year does Rilke write the third letter?
13. What does Rilke view as a challenge of the young poet's new profession?
(a) Its rigorous hours.
(b) Its lack of free time.
(c) Its adherence to convention.
(d) Its lack of creativity.
14. What does Rilke advise the young poet to buy in letter three?
(a) A collection of the complete works of Jens Peter Jacobsen.
(b) A collection of the complete works of Sophocles.
(c) A collection of the complete works of Homer.
(d) A collection of the complete works of William Shakespeare.
15. What does Rilke thank the young poet for at the end of the first letter?
(a) The young poet's confidence.
(b) The young poet's admiration.
(c) The young poet's talent.
(d) The young poet's effort.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what holiday does the young poet write his third letter to Rilke?
2. What is Rilke's salutation at the end of the first letter?
3. In the first letter, what does Rilke advise the poet to do to improve his writing?
4. In letter three, how many books does Rilke say he has published?
5. What does Rilke believe is wrong with sex?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)