|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Rilke advise the young poet to avoid seeking advice?
(d) Military officers.
2. How does Professor Horacek know Rilke?
(a) Professor Horacek is Rilke's editor.
(b) Professor Horacek teaches Rilke at a military academy.
(c) Professor Horacek knows Rilke's grandfather.
(d) Professor Horacek raises Rilke.
3. What holiday is Rilke marking with his sixth letter?
(a) The New Year.
(c) All Saints Day.
4. How does the young poet describe the writer and personal acquaintance Rilke mentions?
(a) "Living and writing in heat."
(b) "Living and writing among the living."
(c) "Living and writing with blood."
(d) "Living and writing with true passion."
5. In letter ten, what does Rilke express pleasure in about the young poet's life?
(a) The young poet's career change.
(b) The young poet's pending marriage.
(c) The young poet's decision to stop writing.
(d) The nature of the young poet's profession.
Short Answer Questions
1. Around what holiday is the tenth letter written?
2. Besides works by that writer, what other book does Rilke always have accessible to him?
3. To what does Rilke compare the realization about the true nature of human existence in letter eight?
4. What city has Rilke departed from to come to the place where he composes the fourth letter?
5. What does Rilke ask the young poet to do for him at the end of the first letter?
This section contains 313 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)