|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 7.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rilke's salutation at the end of the first letter?
(a) "With gratitude and happiness."
(b) "Yours faithfully and with all sympathy."
(c) "Warmest regards."
(d) "Yours faithfully."
2. How does Professor Horacek know Rilke?
(a) Professor Horacek knows Rilke's grandfather.
(b) Professor Horacek is Rilke's editor.
(c) Professor Horacek raises Rilke.
(d) Professor Horacek teaches Rilke at a military academy.
3. What does Rilke advise the young poet to buy in letter three?
(a) A collection of the complete works of William Shakespeare.
(b) A collection of the complete works of Sophocles.
(c) A collection of the complete works of Jens Peter Jacobsen.
(d) A collection of the complete works of Homer.
4. What does Rilke tell the young poet about irony?
(a) Irony should only be used for humor.
(b) Irony should be liberally used.
(c) Irony should never be used.
(d) Irony should be sparingly used.
5. From whom does Rilke advise the young poet to avoid seeking advice?
(a) Military officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke assert about the nature of human existence that he claims is a fact whether we think so or not?
2. In the first letter, what does Rilke cite as the most disruptive hindrance to the young poet's progress?
3. To what does Rilke compare artistic experience?
4. What does Rilke say about everything that is serious?
5. What does Rilke tell the young poet to do in regards to Rilke's letters?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)