|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rilke writes that "most events are inexpressible," and says that one category of things is more inexpressible than all the rest. What is this category?
(a) Human communication.
(b) Works of art.
(c) Human frailty.
(d) Human suffering.
2. What is the name of the young poet who is the recipient of the letters contained in this volume?
(a) Franz Rilke.
(b) Franz Xaver Kappus.
(c) Franz Horacek.
(d) Xaver Rilke.
3. Whose ideas about sex does Rilke advise the young poet to avoid subscribing to?
(a) Richard Dehmel's.
(b) Professor Horacek's.
(c) Jens Peter Jacobsen's.
(d) Rilke's own.
4. In letter three, what does Rilke claim to be the most important element of becoming an artist?
5. In letter three, how many books does Rilke say he has published?
(b) 20 or 21.
(c) 12 or 13.
(d) 25 or 26.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke say about everything that is serious?
2. In what year is the first letter from Rilke to the young poet written?
3. What works by the writer who Rilke revers most does Rilke always have accessible to him?
4. What novel does Rilke discuss in letter three?
5. What writer does Rilke revere most?
This section contains 239 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)