|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What writer and personal acquaintance does Rilke discuss in letter three?
(a) Richard Dehmel.
(b) Professor Horacek.
(c) Richard Strauss.
(d) Thomas Hardy.
2. How old is the young poet when he begins corresponding with Rilke?
3. In the first letter the young poet sent to Rilke along with his poems, what does he ask of Rilke?
(a) If his poems are good.
(b) If Rilke can help the poet get published.
(c) If Rilke can send the poet a poem Rilke has written.
(d) If Rilke can come visit him.
4. Where does Rilke say humans should look for lessons on how to approach sex and pleasure?
(a) Plants and animals.
(b) The Bible.
(d) The work of the great poets.
5. What type of locale is Rilke in as he is writing the fourth letter to the young poet?
(a) A rural plain.
(b) A southern seaside.
(c) A city.
(d) A farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the young poet write about in his third letter to Rilke that Rilke mentions in his letter back to the young poet?
2. From where does Rilke write the fourth letter?
3. How does Rilke say one can know if a poem is good?
4. In the first letter, what does Rilke cite as the most disruptive hindrance to the young poet's progress?
5. Which letter from the young poet is Rilke responding to with his fourth letter?
This section contains 306 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)