|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first letter, which of the young poet's pieces does Rilke say demonstrates the most talent?
(a) Sonnet IV.
(b) "My Soul."
(c) "Ode to the Hills."
(d) "To Leopardi."
2. What does the young poet write about in his third letter to Rilke that Rilke mentions in his letter back to the young poet?
(a) The works of Jens Peter Jacobsen.
(b) The works of William Shakespeare.
(c) His decision to become a sculptor.
(d) His first publication.
3. In the third letter, what does Rilke say he wishes he could do for the young poet but is unable to do?
(a) Publish the poet's work.
(b) Present the poet's work to Rilke's publishers.
(c) Give the poet some of his own books.
(d) Visit the young poet.
4. Where is the young poet who is the recipient of the letters studying when he begins to receive correspondence from Rilke?
(a) A military academy in Germany.
(b) A military academy in Paris.
(c) A military academy in Prague.
(d) A military acdemy in Oslo.
5. Rilke says that there is only one thing that "can grasp and hold and be just toward" art. What is that thing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke advise the poet to do in regard to his efforts to get published?
2. During what decade does the correspondence contained in this volume take place?
3. In the first letter, what does Rilke cite as the most disruptive hindrance to the young poet's progress?
4. Rilke challenges the young poet to ask himself a question regarding his writing. What is that question?
5. What has brought Rilke to the place from where he writes the second letter?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)