|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the young poet request in his third letter to Rilke?
(a) Copies of Rilke's books.
(b) Suggestions for further reading.
(c) A list of publishers to whom the poet can send his work.
(d) Advice on writing sonnets.
2. From where is the first letter from Rilke to the young poet postmarked?
3. In what year does Rilke write the third letter?
4. What is Rilke's salutation at the end of the first letter?
(a) "Yours faithfully."
(b) "Yours faithfully and with all sympathy."
(c) "With gratitude and happiness."
(d) "Warmest regards."
5. What does the young poet write about in his third letter to Rilke that Rilke mentions in his letter back to the young poet?
(a) His decision to become a sculptor.
(b) His first publication.
(c) The works of William Shakespeare.
(d) The works of Jens Peter Jacobsen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What writer and personal acquaintance does Rilke discuss in letter three?
2. What has brought Rilke to the place from where he writes the second letter?
3. What does Rilke advise the poet to do in regard to his efforts to get published?
4. How does Rilke advise the young poet to view sex?
5. In the third letter, what does Rilke say he wishes he could do for the young poet but is unable to do?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)