|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rilke when he writes the second letter?
(a) Athens, Greece.
(b) Viareggio, near Pisa, Italy.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Berlin, Germany.
2. During what decade does the correspondence contained in this volume take place?
3. In the third letter, what does Rilke say he wishes he could do for the young poet but is unable to do?
(a) Present the poet's work to Rilke's publishers.
(b) Visit the young poet.
(c) Give the poet some of his own books.
(d) Publish the poet's work.
4. How does Professor Horacek know Rilke?
(a) Professor Horacek knows Rilke's grandfather.
(b) Professor Horacek is Rilke's editor.
(c) Professor Horacek teaches Rilke at a military academy.
(d) Professor Horacek raises Rilke.
5. Rilke says that there is only one thing that "can grasp and hold and be just toward" art. What is that thing?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke enclose with his third letter to the young poet?
2. In the first letter, which of the young poet's pieces does Rilke say demonstrates the most talent?
3. In the third letter, Rilke requests that the young poet avoid something. What is it that he asks the poet to avoid?
4. Why does it take Rilke so long to respond to the young poet's second letter?
5. What does Rilke thank the young poet for at the end of the first letter?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)