|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rilke advise the poet to do in regard to his efforts to get published?
(a) Discontinue his efforts to receive feedback from publishers and other external parties.
(b) Send his poems to the United States.
(c) Send his poems to as many magazines as possible.
(d) Send his poems to Rilke's publisher.
2. What does Rilke view as a challenge of the young poet's new profession?
(a) Its lack of creativity.
(b) Its adherence to convention.
(c) Its lack of free time.
(d) Its rigorous hours.
3. Why has Rilke come to the place where he composes the fourth letter?
(a) To improve his health.
(b) To meet with his publisher.
(c) To visit his family.
(d) To write in solitude.
4. What type of sadness does Rilke call "dangerous"?
(a) Sadnesses that are caused by love.
(b) Sadnesses that are caused by feelings of inferiority.
(c) Sadnesses that one suppresses rather than lives.
(d) Sadnesses that are caused by helplessness.
5. What does Rilke say is bad about physical pleasure?
(a) Its ability to keep artists away from their work.
(b) Its ability to bring happiness.
(c) Its temptation.
(d) Humans' misuse and waste of it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rilke say in the seventh letter about things that are difficult?
2. What type of poetry does Rilke advise the poet not to write?
3. Whose ideas about sex does Rilke advise the young poet to avoid subscribing to?
4. Why does it take Rilke so long to respond to the young poet's second letter?
5. What does Rilke advise the young poet to take comfort in if he feels uneasy in his new profession?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)