|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Rilke in letter eight, where does destiny originate?
(a) From within individuals.
(b) With God.
(c) With thought.
(d) From external events.
2. At the end of letter eight, what does Rilke remind the young poet of?
(a) His parents' love.
(b) His first poems.
(c) His fear of judgment.
(d) How he once longed to emerge from his youth and realize himself.
3. Near the close of the fourth letter, Rilke mentions the positive aspects of the young poet's new profession. What are those positive aspects?
(a) Independence and solitude.
(b) Discipline and solitude.
(c) Discipline and self-sufficiency.
(d) Inedependence and self-sufficiency.
4. In the first letter, Rilke says he cannot offer critical commentary on the young poet's work. Why?
(a) Rilke believes the young poet's work is flawless.
(b) Rilke says that critical commentary is insufficient for understanding a work of art.
(c) Rilke cannot read the young poet's work because he is blind.
(d) Rilke is ill and does not have the physical stamina to read the young poet's work.
5. What does Rilke say is "the only courage demanded of us"?
(a) The courage to create.
(b) The courage o be solitary.
(c) The courage to be prepared for the unknown or unexpected.
(d) The courage to love.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is the first letter from Rilke to the young poet written?
2. What does Rilke say is wrong with men?
3. On what holiday does the young poet write his third letter to Rilke?
4. What aspect of human life does Rilke say is most burdened with conventions?
5. What does Rilke advise the young poet to do if he cannot connect with people?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)