|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of sadness does Rilke call "dangerous"?
(a) Sadnesses that are caused by love.
(b) Sadnesses that are caused by helplessness.
(c) Sadnesses that one suppresses rather than lives.
(d) Sadnesses that are caused by feelings of inferiority.
2. What is the primary topic of the eighth letter?
3. What famous author does Rilke reference in letter eight?
(a) William Shakespeare.
(b) Charlotte Perkins Gilman.
(c) Nathaniel Hawthorne.
(d) Edgar Allan Poe.
4. Why does Rilke delay so long in replying to the young poet's fifth letter?
(a) Rilke leaves the young poet's letter in another city.
(b) Rilke has been ill.
(c) Rilke does not like to write letters when he is traveling.
(d) The young poet's fifth letter has angered Rilke.
5. Who does Rilke say in the seventh letter cannot understand love?
(a) Young people.
(b) Anyone who is not an artist.
(d) Military officers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has brought Rilke to the place from where he writes the second letter?
2. To what does Rilke compare artistic experience?
3. What does Rilke imply about losing God?
4. What does Rilke say about careers in the sixth letter?
5. In the first letter the young poet sent to Rilke along with his poems, what does he ask of Rilke?
This section contains 320 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)