|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
2. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
3. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
4. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
5. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
Essay Topic 1
An editorial in the New York Herald Tribune outrages White, whose response sparks a public debate.
1) Explain the editorial that is published in the New York Herald Tribune and the "loyalty oath" it discusses.
2) Describe why White objects to the editorial and his letter to the New York Herald Tribune.
3) Explain the New York Herald Tribune's response to White and why they consider his thinking to be dangerous during that time in American history.
4) Analyze the irony in White's criticism of a newspaper publishing an opinion that he disagrees with.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's early childhood and how it inspired him to begin writing. Also, include why he began writing at such an early age, his opinion of school, the subjects of his earliest letters, and how they show the initial development of his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
This section contains 1,543 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)