Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
Essay Topic 1
Explain three examples of the office memos that White would write to other writers and editors at the New Yorker. For each example, describe what White's intentions are and the writing techniques he uses to achieve them.
Essay Topic 2
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 3
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
This section contains 336 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)