|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
3. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
4. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
5. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
Short Essay Questions
1. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
2. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
5. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
6. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
7. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
8. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
9. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
10. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's early childhood and how it inspired him to begin writing. Also, include why he began writing at such an early age, his opinion of school, the subjects of his earliest letters, and how they show the initial development of his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)