|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
2. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
3. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
4. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
5. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
2. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
3. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
4. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
5. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
6. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
7. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
8. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
9. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
10. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White answers a number of letters and questions from students about writing and education in general.
1) Describe White's explanation of the process for writing a book to a fourth-grade class in Columbus, Ohio.
2) Explain White's advice to a depressed college student as well as his advice to a confused senior, and his comments about his own writing identity.
3) Compare and contrast the advice that he gives to his granddaughter, Martha, with the responses that he sends to other college students.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's response to a letter by Cathy Durham about why he has not written another children's book. Include why he might have replied that way, the response of Cathy's librarian, and the solution that White's publisher develops for preventing any future issues.
Essay Topic 3
Explain three examples of the office memos that White would write to other writers and editors at the New Yorker. For each example, describe what White's intentions are and the writing techniques he uses to achieve them.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)