|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
2. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
3. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
4. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
5. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
2. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
3. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
4. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
6. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
7. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
8. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
9. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
10. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White answers a number of letters and questions from students about writing and education in general.
1) Describe White's explanation of the process for writing a book to a fourth-grade class in Columbus, Ohio.
2) Explain White's advice to a depressed college student as well as his advice to a confused senior, and his comments about his own writing identity.
3) Compare and contrast the advice that he gives to his granddaughter, Martha, with the responses that he sends to other college students.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's response to a letter by Cathy Durham about why he has not written another children's book. Include why he might have replied that way, the response of Cathy's librarian, and the solution that White's publisher develops for preventing any future issues.
Essay Topic 3
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)