|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
2. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
3. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
4. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
5. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
2. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
3. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
4. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
5. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
6. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
7. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
8. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
9. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
10. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
Essay Topic 2
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)