|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
2. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
3. When does White write to President Nixon?
4. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
5. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White's published criticism of Alexander Wollcott is documented by their letters in the New Yorker.
1) Describe who Alexander Wollcott is, the letter that he writes, and why White finds it offensive.
2) Explain White's response to Wollcott's letter and why it is featured in the New Yorker.
3) Analyze why White decides to write a second letter, the point of the letter, and whether or not he is serious in his criticism or using humor to deliver the point.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's early childhood and how it inspired him to begin writing. Also, include why he began writing at such an early age, his opinion of school, the subjects of his earliest letters, and how they show the initial development of his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
This section contains 1,530 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)