|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
2. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
3. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
4. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
5. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
Essay Topic 1
Explain three examples of the office memos that White would write to other writers and editors at the New Yorker. For each example, describe what White's intentions are and the writing techniques he uses to achieve them.
Essay Topic 2
White answers a number of letters and questions from students about writing and education in general.
1) Describe White's explanation of the process for writing a book to a fourth-grade class in Columbus, Ohio.
2) Explain White's advice to a depressed college student as well as his advice to a confused senior, and his comments about his own writing identity.
3) Compare and contrast the advice that he gives to his granddaughter, Martha, with the responses that he sends to other college students.
Essay Topic 3
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)