Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
Essay Topic 1
Katharine passes away and her legacy is secured as White contributes to his own biography towards the end of his life.
1) Describe the change in White's writing after Katharine passes away, how her literary effects help establish her legacy, and the way her book, "Onward and Upward in the Garden" is published.
2) Explain the contributions that White makes to his biography as it is being written and his opinion of the finished book.
3) Analyze the ways that E.B. White will be remembered along with the impact of his work in writing and entertainment.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the key points about White's experiences at Cornell University. Provide examples of his knowledge and practice of journalism, the associations he had while at college, and what those connections led to later in his life.
Essay Topic 3
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
This section contains 328 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)