|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
2. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
3. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
4. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
5. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain three examples of the office memos that White would write to other writers and editors at the New Yorker. For each example, describe what White's intentions are and the writing techniques he uses to achieve them.
Essay Topic 2
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
Essay Topic 3
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
This section contains 1,545 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)