|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
2. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
3. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
4. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
5. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
2. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
3. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
4. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
5. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
6. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
7. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
8. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
9. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
10. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 2
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)