Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
Essay Topic 2
White's published criticism of Alexander Wollcott is documented by their letters in the New Yorker.
1) Describe who Alexander Wollcott is, the letter that he writes, and why White finds it offensive.
2) Explain White's response to Wollcott's letter and why it is featured in the New Yorker.
3) Analyze why White decides to write a second letter, the point of the letter, and whether or not he is serious in his criticism or using humor to deliver the point.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the key points about White's experiences at Cornell University. Provide examples of his knowledge and practice of journalism, the associations he had while at college, and what those connections led to later in his life.
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)