|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
2. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
3. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
4. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
5. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
2. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
3. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
4. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
5. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
6. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
7. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
8. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
9. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
10. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 2
Describe White's trip to Washington, including the events that lead up to it, the reasons he is hired by the Department of Facts and Figures, the difference between his original responsibility with his eventual role in the pamphlet, and his opinions of the meetings and process there. Also, provide an analysis of White's views on the war and the draft that he discusses in the letters he writes when he returns from Washington.
Essay Topic 3
Explain three examples of the office memos that White would write to other writers and editors at the New Yorker. For each example, describe what White's intentions are and the writing techniques he uses to achieve them.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)