|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
Essay Topic 2
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 3
Describe White's involvement with "The Elements of Style", what inspires him to first write a remembrance for Professor Strunk, how his text is revised and expanded, the contributions that he makes to the new edition, and the reasons why the book has become so popular with students and writers. Use White's letter to a former secretary later in his life to also explain why he indicates that he does not understand "The Elements of Style".
This section contains 1,570 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)