Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
Essay Topic 2
In 1937, White displays his whimsical nature in a letter to Katharine.
1) Explain White's motivation for his letter, leaving the New Yorker, and why he thinks it is an ancient privilege to live in a whimsical way rather than a reasonable way.
2) Compare his decision in the letter with other impulsive decisions that he has made, such as unannounced vacations, trips, etc.
3) Analyze White's tone in his letter to Katharine, what he hopes to accomplish, and the aspects of his decision that he has considered as well as the ones that he has not considered.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze White's response to a letter by Cathy Durham about why he has not written another children's book. Include why he might have replied that way, the response of Cathy's librarian, and the solution that White's publisher develops for preventing any future issues.
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)