|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
2. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
3. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
4. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
5. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
4. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
5. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
6. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
7. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
8. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
9. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
10. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
E.B. White provides an autobiography about his family background as the preface for the "Letters of E.B. White".
1) Describe the background of White's parents and what led them to make their home in Mt. Vernon.
2) Explain which siblings White is closest to and why.
3) Describe the help and encouragement that White receives while growing up.
Essay Topic 2
In 1925, White takes a big step in his career and begins working for the New Yorker.
1) Describe White's situation after he returns from his road trip and before he discovers the New Yorker magazine.
2) Explain how White first learns about the New Yorker and the way he begins writing for it.
3) Describe how White writes about his initial impression of the New Yorker and the people he meets there.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)