|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
2. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
3. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
4. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
5. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
2. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
3. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
4. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
5. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
6. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
7. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
8. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
9. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
10. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
An editorial in the New York Herald Tribune outrages White, whose response sparks a public debate.
1) Explain the editorial that is published in the New York Herald Tribune and the "loyalty oath" it discusses.
2) Describe why White objects to the editorial and his letter to the New York Herald Tribune.
3) Explain the New York Herald Tribune's response to White and why they consider his thinking to be dangerous during that time in American history.
4) Analyze the irony in White's criticism of a newspaper publishing an opinion that he disagrees with.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the key points about White's experiences at Cornell University. Provide examples of his knowledge and practice of journalism, the associations he had while at college, and what those connections led to later in his life.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)