|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
2. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
3. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
4. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
5. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
6. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
7. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
8. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
9. What is "One Man's Meat"
10. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
Essay Topic 1
An editorial in the New York Herald Tribune outrages White, whose response sparks a public debate.
1) Explain the editorial that is published in the New York Herald Tribune and the "loyalty oath" it discusses.
2) Describe why White objects to the editorial and his letter to the New York Herald Tribune.
3) Explain the New York Herald Tribune's response to White and why they consider his thinking to be dangerous during that time in American history.
4) Analyze the irony in White's criticism of a newspaper publishing an opinion that he disagrees with.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
Essay Topic 3
White marries Katharine Angell after her careful consideration.
1) Describe Katharine's background and how she came to work at the New Yorker.
2) Explain the concerns she has about pursuing a relationship with White, and how she eventually agrees to marry him.
3) Analyze how White writes about the wedding and the way both he and Katharine return to work.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)