|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
2. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
3. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
4. Following the death of Katharine's father, where do the Whites vacation?
5. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
2. How do White and Katharine handle their careers when they are first married?
3. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
4. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
5. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
6. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
7. What is Katharine Angell's background?
8. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
9. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
10. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
Essay Topic 2
White's published criticism of Alexander Wollcott is documented by their letters in the New Yorker.
1) Describe who Alexander Wollcott is, the letter that he writes, and why White finds it offensive.
2) Explain White's response to Wollcott's letter and why it is featured in the New Yorker.
3) Analyze why White decides to write a second letter, the point of the letter, and whether or not he is serious in his criticism or using humor to deliver the point.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the key points about White's experiences at Cornell University. Provide examples of his knowledge and practice of journalism, the associations he had while at college, and what those connections led to later in his life.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)