Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
2. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
3. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
4. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
5. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
6. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
7. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
8. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
9. What is "One Man's Meat"
10. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the New Yorker magazine in the 1950s with the way it was in the 1920s. Use White's letter to his brother, Stanley, as a reference for his concern about the changes taking place at the magazine. Also, include White's description of the original goal of the New Yorker and his experiences while working there as he writes to an author that is researching a book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe White's involvement with "The Elements of Style", what inspires him to first write a remembrance for Professor Strunk, how his text is revised and expanded, the contributions that he makes to the new edition, and the reasons why the book has become so popular with students and writers. Use White's letter to a former secretary later in his life to also explain why he indicates that he does not understand "The Elements of Style".
Essay Topic 3
White marries Katharine Angell after her careful consideration.
1) Describe Katharine's background and how she came to work at the New Yorker.
2) Explain the concerns she has about pursuing a relationship with White, and how she eventually agrees to marry him.
3) Analyze how White writes about the wedding and the way both he and Katharine return to work.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)