|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Whites' farm located?
2. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
3. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
4. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
5. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description does White provide of his wedding?
2. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
3. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
4. What is Katharine Angell's background?
5. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
6. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
7. As provided in his letters, what are some of White's opinions of the war and drafting?
8. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
9. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
10. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his career, White has declined various offers for jobs, associations, and interviews. Choose three examples of offers that White declines, and explain the situations for each of them along with the reasons why White might have turned those offers down.
Essay Topic 2
"Charlotte's Web" reaches even more audiences with a successful animated film adaption of the story in 1973.
1) Explain White's concerns about the direction of a producer's idea for "Charlotte's Web", and how Hanna-Barbera is eventually given the rights to produce the film.
2) Describe the way White studies the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web", his notations that he includes when returning it, and how they are received by the animation studio.
3) Explain White's suggestions for the music of the movie and how they compare with the finalized movie.
Essay Topic 3
White answers a number of letters and questions from students about writing and education in general.
1) Describe White's explanation of the process for writing a book to a fourth-grade class in Columbus, Ohio.
2) Explain White's advice to a depressed college student as well as his advice to a confused senior, and his comments about his own writing identity.
3) Compare and contrast the advice that he gives to his granddaughter, Martha, with the responses that he sends to other college students.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)