|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
2. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
3. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
4. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
5. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "One Man's Meat"
2. As provided in his letters, what are some of White's opinions of the war and drafting?
3. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. How does White discover the New Yorker?
6. Where were White's parents from and what is their background?
7. Why did White first begin writing during his childhood?
8. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
9. How do White and Katharine handle their careers when they are first married?
10. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Katharine passes away and her legacy is secured as White contributes to his own biography towards the end of his life.
1) Describe the change in White's writing after Katharine passes away, how her literary effects help establish her legacy, and the way her book, "Onward and Upward in the Garden" is published.
2) Explain the contributions that White makes to his biography as it is being written and his opinion of the finished book.
3) Analyze the ways that E.B. White will be remembered along with the impact of his work in writing and entertainment.
Essay Topic 2
White and Howard Cushman travel across the country in 1922 to learn about writing and life.
1) Describe Howard Cushman, his situation, and why he wants to embark on a cross country trip.
2) Explain White's motivation for the trip and what he hopes to accomplish.
3) Analyze White's job with the Seattle Times and his relationship with Alice Burchfield during the time of his trip.
Essay Topic 3
"Charlotte's Web" is considered to be White's most popular book and one of the most recognized children's stories for several reasons.
1) Describe White's farm and the inspiration behind the ideas that formed "Charlotte's Web".
2) Explain White's concerns with the illustrations for the book, "Charlotte's Web", and how he resolves them with his publisher.
3) Describe the issues that White has with the cover art for the book, "Charlotte's Web", the suggestions and advice that he gives to his publisher, and why the advice is particularly appropriate.
4) Analyze White's reaction to the success of "Charlotte's Web", and whether or not he is surprised that it connects with children in such a huge way.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)