|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
2. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
3. Where does White travel to after disappearing from the New Yorker?
4. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
5. How many children did White's parents have?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
2. What description does White provide of his wedding?
3. What is Katharine Angell's background?
4. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
5. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
6. What is the New York Herald Tribune's response to White's letter, and how does he reply?
7. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
8. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
9. How does White gain confidence as a writer while in college, and what acquaintances does he make there?
10. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe in detail three examples of how White uses his creativity and writing skills to communicate with Katharine and show her how important she is to his life. Include an analysis of what techniques White uses and why they are effective.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze White's early childhood and how it inspired him to begin writing. Also, include why he began writing at such an early age, his opinion of school, the subjects of his earliest letters, and how they show the initial development of his writing style.
Essay Topic 3
Katharine passes away and her legacy is secured as White contributes to his own biography towards the end of his life.
1) Describe the change in White's writing after Katharine passes away, how her literary effects help establish her legacy, and the way her book, "Onward and Upward in the Garden" is published.
2) Explain the contributions that White makes to his biography as it is being written and his opinion of the finished book.
3) Analyze the ways that E.B. White will be remembered along with the impact of his work in writing and entertainment.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)