|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
(a) The New York Herald Times.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) Harper's magazine.
(d) The New York Post.
2. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Over five hundred.
(d) Two hundred.
3. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
(a) The Thirteen Doors.
(b) The Sixteen Doors.
(c) The Sixteen Clocks.
(d) The Thirteen Clocks.
4. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) An electric typewriter.
(c) A solid supply of paper.
(d) A wide assortment of pens.
5. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
(a) To allow it to seem new.
(b) To allow it to seem familiar.
(c) To allow it to ripen.
(d) To allow it to breathe.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
2. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
3. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
4. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
5. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
4. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
5. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
6. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
7. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
8. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
9. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
10. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)