|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Quartet in F Major.
(b) Symphony in B-flat Major.
(c) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(d) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
2. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
(a) Donald Arthur Glaser.
(b) William Bradford Shockley.
(c) Edward Teller.
(d) Charles Hard Townes.
3. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) Frederick G. Payne.
(b) Margaret Chase Smith.
(c) Edmund S. Muskie.
(d) William D. Hathaway.
4. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(c) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
5. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
2. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
3. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
4. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
5. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
2. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
3. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
4. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
5. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
6. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
7. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
8. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
9. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
10. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)