|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) April 15, 1972.
(b) May 13, 1971.
(c) May 13, 1972.
(d) April 15, 1971.
2. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) April, 1982.
(b) September, 1982.
(c) August, 1982.
(d) December, 1982.
3. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
4. When does White write to President Nixon?
(a) July, 1969.
(b) September, 1969.
(c) September, 1970.
(d) July, 1970.
5. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
(a) He watched one spin a web.
(b) He had a conversation with one.
(c) He studied them by reading a book about spiders.
(d) He saw a unique looking spider on his farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
2. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
3. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
4. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
5. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
2. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
3. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
4. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
5. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
6. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
7. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
8. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
9. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
10. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)