|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
2. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
(a) Ten minutes, once a week.
(b) Ten minutes, several times a day.
(c) Five minutes, once a day.
(d) Five minutes, several times a week.
3. When does Katharine pass away?
(a) November, 1977.
(b) November, 1978.
(c) July, 1978.
(d) July, 1977.
4. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In October, 1953.
(b) In June, 1953.
(c) In October, 1952.
(d) In June, 1952.
5. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) A solid supply of paper.
(c) A wide assortment of pens.
(d) An electric typewriter.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
2. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
3. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
4. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
5. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
2. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
5. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
6. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
7. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
8. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
9. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
10. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)