|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
(a) Eight million copies.
(b) Ten million copies.
(c) More than ten million copies.
(d) Four million copies.
2. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
(a) Six months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Nine months.
(d) Three months.
3. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) April 15, 1971.
(b) May 13, 1972.
(c) April 15, 1972.
(d) May 13, 1971.
4. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Motivated if inexperienced.
(b) Talented if inexperienced.
(c) Talented and experienced.
(d) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
5. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
(a) Ten minutes, several times a day.
(b) Ten minutes, once a week.
(c) Five minutes, several times a week.
(d) Five minutes, once a day.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
2. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
3. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
5. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
2. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
3. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
4. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
5. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
6. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
7. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
8. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
9. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
10. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)