|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
2. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is amused.
(b) She is appreciative.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is offended.
3. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Bars, closets, and garages.
(b) Bars, subways, and garages.
(c) Subways, closets, and garages.
(d) Bars, subways, and closets.
4. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Three hundred.
(b) Four hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Over five hundred.
5. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
(a) A fair amount.
(d) A lot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
2. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
3. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
4. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
5. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
2. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
5. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
6. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
7. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
8. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
9. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
10. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)