|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Suspiciously serpentine.
(b) Uncharacteristically excited.
(c) Suspiciously sad.
(d) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
2. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Subways, closets, and garages.
(b) Bars, closets, and garages.
(c) Bars, subways, and garages.
(d) Bars, subways, and closets.
3. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
4. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Walt Disney.
(b) Ruby Spears.
(c) Hanna Barbera.
(d) Warner Bros.
5. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To study his life.
(b) To talk to people he knows.
(c) To talk to him.
(d) To read his words.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
2. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
3. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
4. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
5. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
Short Essay Questions
1. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
2. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
3. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
4. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
5. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
6. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
7. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
8. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
9. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
10. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)