|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who first sends White a copy of Strunk's textbook about English usage and style?
(a) A friend from Cornell.
(c) The editors of the book.
(d) A relative.
2. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Anne Boyd.
(b) Benjamin Lee.
(c) John Antill.
(d) Lindley Evans.
3. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To talk to people he knows.
(b) To study his life.
(c) To read his words.
(d) To talk to him.
4. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) An expanded and revised version.
(b) An edited and shortened version.
(c) The same version.
(d) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
(a) He thinks it will be easier to understand.
(b) He thinks his life is not that interesting.
(c) He thinks the book will be more exciting.
(d) He thinks the stories will have more impact.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
2. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
3. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
4. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
5. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
This section contains 273 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)