|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Lindley Evans.
(b) Anne Boyd.
(c) John Antill.
(d) Benjamin Lee.
2. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
(a) Because of the income she is generating.
(b) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
(c) Because White is there.
(d) Because she enjoys the work.
3. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
(a) Edward Teller.
(b) William Bradford Shockley.
(c) Charles Hard Townes.
(d) Donald Arthur Glaser.
4. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
(a) He never set out to achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(b) A style of writing is like an alter-ego for a writer.
(c) He set out to deliberately achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(d) A style of writing is like a coat that a writer puts on.
5. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
(a) Yale and Harvard.
(b) Cornell and Harvard.
(c) Cornell, Yale, and Harvard.
(d) Cornell and Yale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
2. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
3. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
4. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
5. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
2. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
3. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
4. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
5. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
6. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
7. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
8. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
9. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
10. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)