|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
(d) West Palm Beach.
2. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(b) The Museum of Art and Design.
(c) The Museum of Modern Art.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
3. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
(a) The Sixteen Clocks.
(b) The Sixteen Doors.
(c) The Thirteen Clocks.
(d) The Thirteen Doors.
4. What does White write to his granddaughter about journalism?
(a) It is where he feels the most comfortable.
(b) It is the basis for all of his books.
(c) It is the foundation for most of his books.
(d) It is where he feels the least comfortable.
5. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
(a) Eighty four.
(b) Twenty four.
(c) Fifty three.
(d) Seventy three.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
2. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
5. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
2. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
3. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
4. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
5. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
6. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
7. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
8. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
9. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
10. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)