|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 50,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 75,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 100,000 copies are sold.
2. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) May 13, 1972.
(b) May 13, 1971.
(c) April 15, 1972.
(d) April 15, 1971.
3. What does White write to his granddaughter about journalism?
(a) It is where he feels the most comfortable.
(b) It is the basis for all of his books.
(c) It is the foundation for most of his books.
(d) It is where he feels the least comfortable.
4. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy five hundred dollars.
5. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A longer school day for students.
(b) A shortened school day for students.
(c) A new grading system for schools.
(d) Voluntary prayer in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
2. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
3. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
4. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
5. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
2. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
3. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
4. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
5. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
6. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
7. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
8. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
9. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
10. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)