|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) A solid supply of paper.
(c) An electric typewriter.
(d) A wide assortment of pens.
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
(a) Because of the income he is generating.
(b) Because he enjoys the work.
(c) Because Katharine is there.
(d) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
(a) An appendix infection.
(c) A fever.
(d) A liver infection.
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Fifty six years.
(b) Forty six years.
(c) Thirty six years.
(d) Twenty six years.
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
(a) He thinks the book will be more exciting.
(b) He thinks the stories will have more impact.
(c) He thinks it will be easier to understand.
(d) He thinks his life is not that interesting.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
2. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
3. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
4. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
5. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)