|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) Think of a subject and begin.
(b) One has to want to write a book.
(c) Set aside several days for the writing process.
(d) The writer has to keep going until the end.
2. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Larchmont, NY.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Pelham, NY.
(d) Brooklyn, NY.
3. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
(a) A broken arm.
(b) A sprained ankle.
(c) A large skull gash.
(d) A broken leg.
4. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
5. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Bars, subways, and closets.
(b) Bars, closets, and garages.
(c) Bars, subways, and garages.
(d) Subways, closets, and garages.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
2. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
3. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
4. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
5. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
2. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
3. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
4. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
5. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
6. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
7. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
8. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
9. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
10. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)