|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
2. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) December, 1982.
(b) April, 1982.
(c) September, 1982.
(d) August, 1982.
3. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
(a) A broken leg.
(b) A broken arm.
(c) A large skull gash.
(d) A sprained ankle.
4. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
(a) The New York Herald Times.
(b) Harper's magazine.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The New York Post.
5. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
(a) He saw a unique looking spider on his farm.
(b) He studied them by reading a book about spiders.
(c) He watched one spin a web.
(d) He had a conversation with one.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
2. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
3. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
4. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
5. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
2. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
3. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
4. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
5. Who does the illustrations for "Charlotte's Web", and what does White send to his publisher to help with the drawing of Charlotte?
6. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
7. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
8. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
9. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
10. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)