|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does E.B. White pass away?
(a) October 14, 1985.
(b) October 10, 1985.
(c) October 5, 1985.
(d) October 1, 1985.
2. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Modern Art.
(b) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(c) The Museum of Art and Design.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
3. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 50,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 75,000 copies are sold.
4. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Symphony in B-flat Major.
(b) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(c) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(d) Quartet in F Major.
5. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
(a) An appendix infection.
(b) A fever.
(d) A liver infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
2. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
3. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
4. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
5. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
2. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
3. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
4. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
5. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
6. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
7. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
8. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
9. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
10. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)