|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
2. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) William D. Hathaway.
(b) Frederick G. Payne.
(c) Edmund S. Muskie.
(d) Margaret Chase Smith.
3. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
4. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 50,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 75,000 copies are sold.
5. How long does White carefully study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" before returning it to his agent with his annotations?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
2. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
3. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
4. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
5. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
2. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
3. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
4. What ailments does White have in 1963, and how does he write about his recovery?
5. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
6. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
7. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
8. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
9. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
10. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)