|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Suspiciously serpentine.
(b) Uncharacteristically excited.
(c) Suspiciously sad.
(d) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
2. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The Seattle Times.
(d) The Washington Post.
3. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
(a) A former Harper's coworker of White.
(b) The editor at Harper & Brothers.
(c) A former New Yorker coworker of White.
(d) The owner of Harper & Brothers.
4. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Talented if inexperienced.
(b) Talented and experienced.
(c) Motivated if inexperienced.
(d) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
5. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
(a) He had a conversation with one.
(b) He saw a unique looking spider on his farm.
(c) He studied them by reading a book about spiders.
(d) He watched one spin a web.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
2. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
3. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
4. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
5. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
2. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
3. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
4. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
5. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
6. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
7. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
8. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
9. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
10. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)