|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
2. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) No different than it was in the 1920s.
3. What does White state in the official "letter from the author" that a child receives when writing to him?
(a) That he never dreamed of writing to an author.
(b) That children should read more books.
(c) That he always dreamed of writing to an author.
(d) That children have always been fans of literature.
4. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) Think of a subject and begin.
(b) One has to want to write a book.
(c) Set aside several days for the writing process.
(d) The writer has to keep going until the end.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
2. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
3. When does White write to President Nixon?
4. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
5. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
4. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
5. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
6. How does White contribute to his biography, and when and where does he pass away?
7. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
8. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
9. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
10. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)