|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(b) The lake.
(c) The zoo.
2. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The style of the spider.
(b) The color of the pig.
(c) The shade of the sky.
(d) The lettering of the title.
3. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Suspiciously serpentine.
(b) Suspiciously sad.
(c) Uncharacteristically excited.
(d) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
4. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Walt Disney.
(b) Warner Bros.
(c) Hanna Barbera.
(d) Ruby Spears.
5. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
(a) Onward and Upward in the Garden.
(b) Onward in the Garden.
(c) Upward in the Garden.
(d) The Garden, Onward and Upward.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does White write to President Nixon?
2. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
3. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
4. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
5. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
2. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
3. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
4. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
5. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
6. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
7. What does White reveal about his farm in his answer to the questions of Mrs. Bard's fifth-grade class in Larchmont, New York?
8. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
9. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
10. In a December, 1951 letter, how does White respond to a depressed undergraduate student about her plans to become a writer?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)