|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
(c) Writing fast.
2. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
3. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) An edited and shortened version.
(b) The same version.
(c) An expanded and revised version.
(d) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
4. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He does not have an idea for a story.
(b) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(c) He has too many ideas for stories.
(d) He is taking an intentional vacation.
5. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) Set aside several days for the writing process.
(b) Think of a subject and begin.
(c) The writer has to keep going until the end.
(d) One has to want to write a book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
2. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
3. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
4. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
5. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is White's concern with the cover art for "Charlotte's Web" and what appropriate advice does he share?
2. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
3. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
4. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
5. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
6. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
7. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
8. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
9. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
10. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)