|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
2. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) Robert Browning.
(b) Robert Frost.
(c) T.S. Eliot.
(d) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
3. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
(a) November, 1926.
(b) November, 1925.
(c) September, 1927.
(d) September, 1924.
4. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
(a) A coat.
(c) A necklace.
5. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
(a) A committee of few.
(b) A committee of ignorance.
(c) A committee of misinformation.
(d) A committee of one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White expect the project in Washington to be?
2. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
3. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
4. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
5. What idea does White speak against while in Washington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
2. Why did White first begin writing during his childhood?
3. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
4. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
5. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
6. What is the topic of the humorous letter of outrage that White sends to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
7. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
8. What is "One Man's Meat"
9. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
10. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)