|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
2. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
(a) "Our Standing Corrections".
(b) "We Stand Corrected".
(c) "Corrected We Stand".
(d) "All Standing Corrections".
3. Where does White wait for Alice during a missed opportunity to see her?
(a) A river.
(b) A classroom.
(c) A bridge.
(d) A tree.
4. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
(a) Neither interesting nor interested.
(b) Both interested and interesting.
(c) Interesting, but not interested.
(d) Interested, but not interesting.
5. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did White's parents have?
2. Where is the Whites' farm located?
3. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
4. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
5. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions does White have for the New Yorker between 1932 and 1935?
2. What is "One Man's Meat"
3. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
4. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
5. What is Katharine Angell's background?
6. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
7. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
8. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
9. Who is Alice Burchfield?
10. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)