|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 150,000.
(b) Over 50,000.
(c) Over 20,000.
(d) Over 100,000.
2. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) April, 1940.
(b) July, 1940.
(c) June, 1939.
(d) March, 1939.
3. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
(a) Poetry editor.
(b) News editor.
(c) Fiction editor.
(d) Features editor.
4. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) Mount Vernon, NY.
(b) Brooklyn, NY.
(c) Queens, NY.
(d) New York, NY.
5. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
(a) A painful, but important task.
(b) A nearly-impossible task.
(c) An impossible task.
(d) A necessary and rewarding task.
Short Answer Questions
1. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
2. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
3. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
4. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
5. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
2. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
3. How does White discover the New Yorker?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
6. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
7. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
8. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
9. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
10. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)