Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Post.
(b) Cornell Times.
(c) Cornell Daily News.
(d) Cornell Daily Sun.
2. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A spider.
(b) A ladybug.
(c) A cricket.
(d) A grasshopper.
3. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
(a) The Louisville Herald.
(b) The Lexington Sun.
(c) The Louisville Times.
(d) The Lexington Gazette.
4. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
(a) A committee of ignorance.
(b) A committee of misinformation.
(c) A committee of few.
(d) A committee of one.
5. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will be unedited.
(b) That they will have an alternate ending.
(c) That they will include an extra chapter.
(d) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does White marry Katharine Angell?
2. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
3. What phrase does White use to describe the office he and James Thurber share?
4. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
5. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
2. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
3. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. How does White revise his work to be included in the new edition of "The Elements of Style"?
6. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
7. Which ailment and animal's escapades does White write to his stepson and his wife about in 1968?
8. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
9. What is "One Man's Meat"
10. How does White respond to a confused senior at Newton High School?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)