|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does White use to describe the office he and James Thurber share?
(a) An exaggerated spare room.
(b) A sort of expanded cubicle.
(c) A magnified coatroom.
(d) A sort of elongated closet.
2. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
(a) New Jersey.
3. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(b) To understand opposing points of view.
(c) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
(d) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
4. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of film critics.
(b) The situation of modern poets.
(c) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(d) The situation of Hollywood actors.
5. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
Short Answer Questions
1. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
3. Who was White's favorite sibling?
4. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
5. When is White's son, Joel, born?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
2. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
3. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
4. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
5. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
6. How does White gain confidence as a writer while in college, and what acquaintances does he make there?
7. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
8. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
9. Who is Alice Burchfield?
10. What is Katharine Angell's background?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)