|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Two dollars each.
(b) Four dollars each.
(c) One dollar each.
(d) Three dollars each.
2. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
(b) Bread for ten cents.
(c) A shirt for ninety cents.
(d) Milk for twenty cents.
3. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
(a) The library.
(b) Central Park.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) Grand Central Station.
4. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
5. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A ladybug.
(b) A cricket.
(c) A spider.
(d) A grasshopper.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
2. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
3. How does White describe the perception of him at the New Yorker office in July, 1931?
4. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
5. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
2. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
3. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
4. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
5. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
6. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
7. What description does White provide of his wedding?
8. How does White discover the New Yorker?
9. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
10. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)