|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) April, 1940.
(b) June, 1939.
(c) March, 1939.
(d) July, 1940.
2. What does White expect the project in Washington to be?
(a) A patriotic project.
(b) A worthwhile project.
(c) A long project.
(d) A short project.
3. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
4. What label does the New York Herald Tribune give to White while responding to his criticism of their editorial?
(a) A naive element of society.
(b) A questionable element of society.
(c) A dangerous element of society.
(d) A controversial element of society.
5. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Three dollars each.
(b) Two dollars each.
(c) Four dollars each.
(d) One dollar each.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
2. How does White describe himself as a child?
3. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
4. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
5. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
2. What is the New York Herald Tribune's response to White's letter, and how does he reply?
3. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
4. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
5. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
6. How does White discover the New Yorker?
7. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
8. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
9. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
10. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)