|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
(a) A coat.
(b) A necklace.
2. Where does White travel to after disappearing from the New Yorker?
(d) Rhode Island.
3. According to White's letter to Katharine, what is "man's ancient privilege"?
(a) Living a whimsical life.
(b) Living an organized life.
(c) Living a thought-provoking life.
(d) Living a reasonable life.
4. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
(a) A painful, but important task.
(b) A necessary and rewarding task.
(c) An impossible task.
(d) A nearly-impossible task.
5. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
2. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
3. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
4. Where is the Whites' farm located?
5. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
2. What description does White provide of his wedding?
3. How does White describe kindergarten and high school?
4. Where were White's parents from and what is their background?
5. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
6. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
7. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
8. How does White discover the New Yorker?
9. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
10. What suggestions does White have for the New Yorker between 1932 and 1935?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)