|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of modern poets.
(b) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(c) The situation of film critics.
(d) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
2. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
(a) Oppressive, but not bureaucratic.
(b) Bureaucratic, but not oppressive.
(c) Oppressive and bureaucratic.
(d) Neither oppressive nor bureaucratic.
3. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
(a) "Our Standing Corrections".
(b) "All Standing Corrections".
(c) "Corrected We Stand".
(d) "We Stand Corrected".
4. How many children did White's parents have?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Bread for ten cents.
(b) Milk for twenty cents.
(c) A shirt for ninety cents.
(d) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
2. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
3. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
4. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
5. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
Short Essay Questions
1. What description does White provide of his wedding?
2. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
3. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
4. How does White explain the process of writing a book to fourth-graders of Columbus, Ohio?
5. What is Katharine Angell's background?
6. How long does White study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" and what suggestions does he make?
7. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
8. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
9. What illnesses does Katharine battle between 1960 and 1965, and how does she adjust her work schedule?
10. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)