|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase does White use to describe the office he and James Thurber share?
(a) An exaggerated spare room.
(b) A sort of expanded cubicle.
(c) A magnified coatroom.
(d) A sort of elongated closet.
2. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
(b) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(c) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
(d) To understand opposing points of view.
3. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
4. What section of the American freedoms pamphlet is White originally hired to write, before being asked to rewrite the entire document?
(a) The section on Freedom of the Press.
(b) The section on Freedom of Speech.
(c) The section on the Pursuit of Happiness.
(d) The section on the Right to Bear Arms.
5. What does White expect the project in Washington to be?
(a) A short project.
(b) A worthwhile project.
(c) A long project.
(d) A patriotic project.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
2. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
3. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
4. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
5. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
2. What description does White provide of his wedding?
3. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
4. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
5. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
6. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
7. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
8. How does White discover the New Yorker?
9. What is "One Man's Meat"
10. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)