|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
2. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A cricket.
(b) A grasshopper.
(c) A spider.
(d) A ladybug.
3. How many children did White's parents have?
4. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Short items and poetry.
(b) Long columns and poetry.
(c) Long columns and short items.
(d) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
5. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Eight minutes.
(b) Two minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Six minutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
2. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
3. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
4. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
5. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White gain confidence as a writer while in college, and what acquaintances does he make there?
2. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
3. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
4. Who is Alice Burchfield?
5. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
6. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
7. As provided in his letters, what are some of White's opinions of the war and drafting?
8. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
9. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
10. What is the New York Herald Tribune's response to White's letter, and how does he reply?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)