|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
2. What label does the New York Herald Tribune give to White while responding to his criticism of their editorial?
(a) A controversial element of society.
(b) A questionable element of society.
(c) A naive element of society.
(d) A dangerous element of society.
3. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
(a) Interested, but not interesting.
(b) Neither interesting nor interested.
(c) Both interested and interesting.
(d) Interesting, but not interested.
4. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The leisure section.
(b) The front page.
(c) The last page.
(d) The classified section.
5. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
(a) Five hundred dollars per month.
(b) Three hundred dollars per week.
(c) Three hundred dollars per month.
(d) Five hundred dollars per week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
2. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
3. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
4. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
5. Where is the Whites' farm located?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White categorize "Charlotte's Web" in his October, 1952 letter to Ursula Nordstrom of Harper & Brothers, and what are the sales like for the book's first edition?
2. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
3. In another letter to Stanley, what does White say about his use of traction?
4. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
5. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
6. As provided in his letters, what are some of White's opinions of the war and drafting?
7. What journalistic advice does White give to his granddaughter in 1975?
8. Why does White write to Maine Sen. Margaret Chase Smith?
9. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
10. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)