|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Hollow tree.
(b) Willow tree.
(c) All-purpose tree.
(d) Rope ladder tree.
2. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
3. When is White's son, Joel, born?
4. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
(a) New Jersey.
5. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(b) Mercer Raceabout.
(c) Model T Roadster.
Short Answer Questions
1. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
2. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
3. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
4. How does White describe the perception of him at the New Yorker office in July, 1931?
5. Following the death of Katharine's father, where do the Whites vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Katharine's legacy preserved?
2. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
3. Who is Alice Burchfield?
4. What is the subject of the exchanged letters between White and President Richard Nixon in July, 1969?
5. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
6. What complications does White have with his vision in 1982, and how many years does he provide newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
7. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
8. What happens during White's early New York Times interview?
9. What is Katharine Angell's background?
10. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)