|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
(b) Inexperienced writers.
(c) Lack of editing.
2. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(a) Model T Roadster.
(d) Mercer Raceabout.
3. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
(b) Gas station workers.
(c) Future soldiers.
4. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
(a) Soccer and naval architecture.
(b) Football and archery.
(c) Football and naval architecture.
(d) Soccer and archery.
5. How many children does Katharine have when she and White are married?
Short Answer Questions
1. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
2. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
3. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
4. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
5. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
2. Where were White's parents from and what is their background?
3. How does White describe kindergarten and high school?
4. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
5. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
6. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
7. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
8. How does White begin writing for the New Yorker, and what does he do once his position becomes permanent?
9. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
10. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)