|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A cricket.
(b) A spider.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) A ladybug.
2. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
3. How do Katharine and White communicate while at work?
(a) Interoffice memos.
(b) The office intercom.
(c) During office breaks.
(d) Messages delivered by other people.
4. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
(a) St. Barnabas Hospital.
(b) St. Luke's Hospital.
(c) St. Mary's Hospital.
(d) St. Vincent's Hospital.
5. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A careful author.
(b) A literary aficionado.
(c) A literary defective.
(d) A selective author.
Short Answer Questions
1. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
2. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
3. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
4. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
5. Where does White wait for Alice during a missed opportunity to see her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in 1941 that leads to White's work in Washington?
2. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
3. What suggestions does White have for the New Yorker between 1932 and 1935?
4. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
5. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
6. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
7. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
8. Where were White's parents from and what is their background?
9. What description does White provide of his wedding?
10. How do White and Katharine handle their careers when they are first married?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)