|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is the Whites' farm located?
(a) Sedgwick, ME.
(b) Sunshine, ME.
(c) Naskeag, ME.
(d) Brooklin, ME.
2. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
3. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Institute of Education.
(b) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(c) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
(d) The National Council of the Arts.
4. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
5. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
2. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
3. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
4. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
5. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "One Man's Meat"
2. What changes does White experience after Katharine passes away?
3. How does White discover the New Yorker?
4. Who is Alice Burchfield?
5. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
6. How does White's response to Cathy Durham generate controversy, and what solution does his publisher implement?
7. What question does Cathy Durham ask White, and how does he respond?
8. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
9. Why does White write to Supreme Court Justice Felix Frankfurter and the director of the Bronx Zoo respectively?
10. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)