|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many children did White's parents have?
2. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
(a) May, 1938.
(b) July, 1937.
(c) May, 1937.
(d) July, 1938.
3. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
4. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
(c) Martin Sampson.
(d) William Strunk.
5. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Hollow tree.
(b) Willow tree.
(c) All-purpose tree.
(d) Rope ladder tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What issue should people be concerned about, according to White in a 1947 letter to John Wentworth?
2. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
3. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
4. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
5. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the elements included in the Philadelphia Orchestra's children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" in 1972?
2. What is White's problem with taxi cab doors in his 1950 memo to Harold Ross?
3. What is the purpose of White's letter to John Wentworth in 1947?
4. What joke does White make to his brother, Stanley, before having a hernia operation?
5. How does White describe the beginning days of the New Yorker to an author that is researching a book?
6. How does Hanna-Barbera acquire the rights to produce the animated motion picture version of "Charlotte's Web"?
7. What is the purpose of White's trip with Howard Cushman, and where do they go?
8. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
9. What feedback and advice does White offer to James Thurber for the story,"The Thirteen Clocks"?
10. What is the New York Herald Tribune's response to White's letter, and how does he reply?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)