|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(b) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(c) The situation of film critics.
(d) The situation of modern poets.
2. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
(c) Robert Browning.
(d) Robert Frost.
3. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(b) Mercer Raceabout.
(d) Model T Roadster.
4. How does White describe the perception of him at the New Yorker office in July, 1931?
(a) A perpetual vacationist.
(b) An unpredictable vacationist.
(c) A returning vacationist.
(d) An unapologetic vacationist.
5. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Marion Carion.
(b) Lillian Gillian.
(c) Marion Harion.
(d) Lillian Illian.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
2. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
3. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
4. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
5. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestions does White have for the New Yorker between 1932 and 1935?
2. What is "One Man's Meat"
3. How do White and Katharine handle their careers when they are first married?
4. How does White show Katharine her importance in his life?
5. Why does White decline a job offer from the Saturday Review?
6. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
7. What does White do after he returns from his road trip?
8. Who is Alice Burchfield?
9. How does White discover the New Yorker?
10. Where were White's parents from and what is their background?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)