|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
2. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
3. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
4. According to White's letter to Katharine, what is "man's ancient privilege"?
(a) Living a thought-provoking life.
(b) Living a whimsical life.
(c) Living an organized life.
(d) Living a reasonable life.
5. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) June, 1939.
(b) July, 1940.
(c) April, 1940.
(d) March, 1939.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
2. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
3. What is the name of White and Katharine's Scottish terrier?
4. What type of background did White's mother have?
5. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does White gain confidence as a writer while in college, and what acquaintances does he make there?
2. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
3. How do White and Katharine handle their careers when they are first married?
4. What description does White provide of his wedding?
5. How does White discuss his interest in movies with Stanley in a March, 1937 letter?
6. What causes White to write a seething letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
7. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
8. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
9. What is Katharine Angell's background?
10. How does White return to the New Yorker and what embarrassing situation does he encounter there?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)