|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) Central Park.
(c) The library.
(d) Grand Central Station.
2. Which Supreme Court Justice does White reference in his letters during his time in Washington?
(a) William O. Douglas.
(b) Frank Murphy.
(c) Felix Frankfurter.
(d) Tom C. Clark.
3. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
4. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
(a) The excessive number of movie critics.
(b) The changes in the design of sailing boats.
(c) The disappearance of the American touring car.
(d) The lack of quality news stories.
5. How many children did White's parents have?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
2. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
3. What issue should people be concerned about, according to White in a 1947 letter to John Wentworth?
4. According to White's letter to Katharine, what is "man's ancient privilege"?
5. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does White write about his brother, Stanley, and his sister, Lillian?
2. What unscheduled vacation does White take from the New Yorker and how does he inform them of his absence?
3. How does White describe his meeting in Washington in January, 1942?
4. Who is Alice Burchfield?
5. What is the topic of the humorous letter of outrage that White sends to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
6. How does White describe kindergarten and high school?
7. What impulsive decision does White write to Katharine about in May, 1937?
8. How does White discover the New Yorker?
9. Why does Katharine hesitate before agreeing to marry White?
10. What complications does Katharine have while giving birth to their son in 1931?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)