|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
2. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Seventy five hundred dollars.
3. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
(a) A lot.
(b) A fair amount.
4. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
(a) Ten minutes, several times a day.
(b) Ten minutes, once a week.
(c) Five minutes, once a day.
(d) Five minutes, several times a week.
5. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
6. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
(a) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
(b) Because of the income she is generating.
(c) Because she enjoys the work.
(d) Because White is there.
7. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
8. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
(a) The Seattle Times.
(b) The New York Times.
(c) The Chicago Tribune.
(d) The Washington Post.
9. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) April 15, 1971.
(b) May 13, 1972.
(c) April 15, 1972.
(d) May 13, 1971.
10. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "Travels with Charley".
(b) "Of Mice and Men".
(c) "East of Eden".
(d) "The Grapes of Wrath".
11. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
(a) Simon & Schuster.
(b) Random House.
(c) Harper Collins.
(d) Macmillan Co.
12. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Two hundred.
(c) Three hundred.
(d) Over five hundred.
13. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
14. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) August, 1982.
(b) September, 1982.
(c) April, 1982.
(d) December, 1982.
15. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) John Updike.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) Harper Lee.
(d) Ian Fleming.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
2. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
3. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
4. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
5. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)