|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
2. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(b) The Museum of Art and Design.
(c) The Museum of Modern Art.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
3. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(b) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(c) He has too many ideas for stories.
(d) He does not have an idea for a story.
4. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) September, 1982.
(b) April, 1982.
(c) August, 1982.
(d) December, 1982.
5. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
6. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A shortened school day for students.
(b) Voluntary prayer in school.
(c) A new grading system for schools.
(d) A longer school day for students.
7. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
8. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Sun Times.
(b) New York Herald Tribune.
(c) New York Daily News.
(d) New York Times.
9. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "East of Eden".
(b) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(c) "Of Mice and Men".
(d) "Travels with Charley".
10. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The color of the pig.
(b) The lettering of the title.
(c) The style of the spider.
(d) The shade of the sky.
11. How many proposals does White have to make a movie of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) A few.
12. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
13. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
(a) Writing fast.
14. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) John Updike.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) Ian Fleming.
15. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Talented and experienced.
(b) Talented if inexperienced.
(c) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
(d) Motivated if inexperienced.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
2. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
3. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
4. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
5. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)