|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) May 13, 1972.
(b) April 15, 1971.
(c) April 15, 1972.
(d) May 13, 1971.
2. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
(a) The Chicago Tribune.
(b) The Washington Post.
(c) The Seattle Times.
(d) The New York Times.
3. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In June, 1952.
(b) In October, 1953.
(c) In October, 1952.
(d) In June, 1953.
4. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A shortened school day for students.
(b) A longer school day for students.
(c) Voluntary prayer in school.
(d) A new grading system for schools.
5. Who first sends White a copy of Strunk's textbook about English usage and style?
(a) The editors of the book.
(b) A relative.
(c) A friend from Cornell.
6. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) William D. Hathaway.
(b) Edmund S. Muskie.
(c) Frederick G. Payne.
(d) Margaret Chase Smith.
7. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
(a) To allow it to seem familiar.
(b) To allow it to breathe.
(c) To allow it to seem new.
(d) To allow it to ripen.
8. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
9. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
10. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
(a) "Stuart Little".
(b) "Charlotte's Web".
(c) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(d) "Here is New York".
11. How long does White carefully study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" before returning it to his agent with his annotations?
(a) One month.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Two months.
(d) One week.
12. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy five hundred dollars.
13. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(b) "East of Eden".
(c) "Travels with Charley".
(d) "Of Mice and Men".
14. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) One has to want to write a book.
(b) The writer has to keep going until the end.
(c) Think of a subject and begin.
(d) Set aside several days for the writing process.
15. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
(a) A fever.
(c) A liver infection.
(d) An appendix infection.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
2. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
3. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
4. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
5. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)