|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
(a) Explaining what the book is and is not.
(b) Explaining why the book should be read.
(c) Excluding an explanation of how the story compares to others.
(d) Excluding an explanation of the key points of the story.
2. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is offended.
(b) She is appreciative.
(c) She is amused.
(d) She is confused.
3. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "Travels with Charley".
(b) "East of Eden".
(c) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(d) "Of Mice and Men".
4. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
(a) A former New Yorker coworker of White.
(b) A former Harper's coworker of White.
(c) The owner of Harper & Brothers.
(d) The editor at Harper & Brothers.
5. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 50,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 75,000 copies are sold.
6. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
(a) Writing fast.
7. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
8. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The shade of the sky.
(b) The color of the pig.
(c) The style of the spider.
(d) The lettering of the title.
9. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
(a) Seven is a lucky number.
(b) Versatile means I can change with ease from one thing to another.
(c) Never hurry and never worry.
(d) Humble has two meanings. It means "not proud" and "close to the ground."
10. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He does not have an idea for a story.
(b) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(c) He has too many ideas for stories.
(d) He is having bouts of dizziness.
11. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Sun Times.
(b) New York Daily News.
(c) New York Herald Tribune.
(d) New York Times.
12. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
(a) More than ten million copies.
(b) Four million copies.
(c) Eight million copies.
(d) Ten million copies.
13. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Talented if inexperienced.
(b) Talented and experienced.
(c) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
(d) Motivated if inexperienced.
14. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
(b) A fair amount.
(d) A lot.
15. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
2. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
3. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
4. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
5. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)