|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
2. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
(a) A broken arm.
(b) A large skull gash.
(c) A sprained ankle.
(d) A broken leg.
3. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(b) He does not have an idea for a story.
(c) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(d) He has too many ideas for stories.
4. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
5. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Anne Boyd.
(b) John Antill.
(c) Benjamin Lee.
(d) Lindley Evans.
6. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Twenty six years.
(b) Thirty six years.
(c) Forty six years.
(d) Fifty six years.
7. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
8. When does Katharine pass away?
(a) November, 1977.
(b) July, 1977.
(c) July, 1978.
(d) November, 1978.
9. How long does White carefully study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" before returning it to his agent with his annotations?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Two months.
(c) One month.
(d) One week.
10. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
(a) Explaining why the book should be read.
(b) Excluding an explanation of the key points of the story.
(c) Excluding an explanation of how the story compares to others.
(d) Explaining what the book is and is not.
11. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
(a) September, 1962.
(b) July, 1961.
(c) March, 1961.
(d) February, 1962.
12. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Photos and information.
(b) Only information.
(c) Neither photos nor information.
(d) Only photos.
13. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "Of Mice and Men".
(b) "Travels with Charley".
(c) "East of Eden".
(d) "The Grapes of Wrath".
14. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
(a) A frog.
(b) A squirrel.
(c) A swan.
(d) A muskrat.
15. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Over five hundred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
2. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
3. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
4. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
5. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)