|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
(c) West Palm Beach.
2. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A new grading system for schools.
(b) Voluntary prayer in school.
(c) A shortened school day for students.
(d) A longer school day for students.
3. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
(a) April, 1962.
(b) March, 1961.
(c) June, 1962.
(d) November, 1961.
4. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
5. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
(a) To allow it to seem new.
(b) To allow it to ripen.
(c) To allow it to breathe.
(d) To allow it to seem familiar.
6. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) No different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
7. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
(c) A fair amount.
(d) A lot.
8. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Four hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Two hundred.
(d) Over five hundred.
9. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) Ian Fleming.
(b) William Faulkner.
(c) John Updike.
(d) Harper Lee.
10. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
(a) "Charlotte's Web".
(b) "Here is New York".
(c) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(d) "Stuart Little".
11. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
12. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
(a) Cornell and Yale.
(b) Cornell and Harvard.
(c) Yale and Harvard.
(d) Cornell, Yale, and Harvard.
13. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is confused.
(b) She is offended.
(c) She is appreciative.
(d) She is amused.
14. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Hanna Barbera.
(b) Walt Disney.
(c) Warner Bros.
(d) Ruby Spears.
15. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The style of the spider.
(b) The shade of the sky.
(c) The color of the pig.
(d) The lettering of the title.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
2. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
3. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
4. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
5. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)