|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Anne Boyd.
(b) Benjamin Lee.
(c) John Antill.
(d) Lindley Evans.
2. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) One has to want to write a book.
(b) The writer has to keep going until the end.
(c) Think of a subject and begin.
(d) Set aside several days for the writing process.
3. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
(a) Five minutes, once a day.
(b) Ten minutes, several times a day.
(c) Five minutes, several times a week.
(d) Ten minutes, once a week.
4. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(b) He does not have an idea for a story.
(c) He has too many ideas for stories.
(d) He is having bouts of dizziness.
5. How many proposals does White have to make a movie of "Charlotte's Web"?
(b) A few.
6. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
(a) Because he enjoys the work.
(b) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
(c) Because of the income he is generating.
(d) Because Katharine is there.
7. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
8. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
(a) Neither Life nor Harper's.
(b) Life and Harper's.
9. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
10. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "East of Eden".
(b) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(c) "Of Mice and Men".
(d) "Travels with Charley".
11. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
(a) Twenty four.
(b) Fifty three.
(c) Seventy three.
(d) Eighty four.
12. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
(c) Club soda.
13. When does White write to President Nixon?
(a) September, 1970.
(b) September, 1969.
(c) July, 1970.
(d) July, 1969.
14. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(b) The Antique Automobiles Show.
(c) The Museum of Modern Art.
(d) The Museum of Art and Design.
15. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Quartet in F Major.
(b) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(c) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(d) Symphony in B-flat Major.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
2. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
3. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
4. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
5. When does E.B. White pass away?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)