|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
(a) Four million copies.
(b) Eight million copies.
(c) More than ten million copies.
(d) Ten million copies.
2. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
(b) Suspiciously serpentine.
(c) Uncharacteristically excited.
(d) Suspiciously sad.
3. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
(a) Upward in the Garden.
(b) The Garden, Onward and Upward.
(c) Onward and Upward in the Garden.
(d) Onward in the Garden.
4. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
5. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) No different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
6. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In June, 1953.
(b) In June, 1952.
(c) In October, 1952.
(d) In October, 1953.
7. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
8. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
(b) Talented and experienced.
(c) Motivated if inexperienced.
(d) Talented if inexperienced.
9. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
(a) Excluding an explanation of how the story compares to others.
(b) Explaining what the book is and is not.
(c) Excluding an explanation of the key points of the story.
(d) Explaining why the book should be read.
10. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
(d) Club soda.
11. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
(a) The Washington Post.
(b) The Chicago Tribune.
(c) The Seattle Times.
(d) The New York Times.
12. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Thirty six years.
(b) Fifty six years.
(c) Forty six years.
(d) Twenty six years.
13. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Neither photos nor information.
(b) Photos and information.
(c) Only information.
(d) Only photos.
14. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
15. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
(d) Writing fast.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
2. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
3. Who first sends White a copy of Strunk's textbook about English usage and style?
4. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
5. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)