|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To read his words.
(b) To talk to people he knows.
(c) To study his life.
(d) To talk to him.
2. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Only information.
(b) Only photos.
(c) Photos and information.
(d) Neither photos nor information.
3. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is appreciative.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is offended.
(d) She is amused.
4. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Uncharacteristically excited.
(b) Suspiciously sad.
(c) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
(d) Suspiciously serpentine.
5. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
(a) The New York Times.
(b) The Seattle Times.
(c) The Washington Post.
(d) The Chicago Tribune.
6. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
(a) April, 1962.
(b) November, 1961.
(c) June, 1962.
(d) March, 1961.
7. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
(a) He set out to deliberately achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(b) He never set out to achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(c) A style of writing is like a coat that a writer puts on.
(d) A style of writing is like an alter-ego for a writer.
8. When does Katharine pass away?
(a) November, 1977.
(b) July, 1977.
(c) November, 1978.
(d) July, 1978.
9. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
10. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
(a) July, 1961.
(b) March, 1961.
(c) September, 1962.
(d) February, 1962.
11. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
12. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) Frederick G. Payne.
(b) William D. Hathaway.
(c) Margaret Chase Smith.
(d) Edmund S. Muskie.
13. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) September, 1982.
(b) April, 1982.
(c) August, 1982.
(d) December, 1982.
14. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
(a) The New Yorker.
(b) Harper's magazine.
(c) The New York Herald Times.
(d) The New York Post.
15. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) John Antill.
(b) Lindley Evans.
(c) Benjamin Lee.
(d) Anne Boyd.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
2. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
3. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
4. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
5. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)