|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
(a) A large skull gash.
(b) A broken leg.
(c) A broken arm.
(d) A sprained ankle.
2. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Suspiciously sad.
(b) Suspiciously serpentine.
(c) Uncharacteristically excited.
(d) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
3. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Brooklyn, NY.
(b) Larchmont, NY.
(c) New York, NY.
(d) Pelham, NY.
4. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
(a) Ahi Carpaccio.
(b) Shrimp newburg.
(c) Shad roe.
(d) Fiddlehead ferns.
5. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
(b) Motivated if inexperienced.
(c) Talented if inexperienced.
(d) Talented and experienced.
6. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
(a) Random House.
(b) Harper Collins.
(c) Macmillan Co.
(d) Simon & Schuster.
7. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty six years.
(b) Forty eight years.
(c) Forty five years.
(d) Forty four years.
8. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Art and Design.
(b) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(c) The Museum of Modern Art.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
9. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
(a) February, 1962.
(b) July, 1961.
(c) March, 1961.
(d) September, 1962.
10. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Four hundred.
(d) Over five hundred.
11. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) Voluntary prayer in school.
(b) A shortened school day for students.
(c) A new grading system for schools.
(d) A longer school day for students.
12. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
13. When does E.B. White pass away?
(a) October 5, 1985.
(b) October 14, 1985.
(c) October 1, 1985.
(d) October 10, 1985.
14. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(d) Seventy five hundred dollars.
15. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
(a) Ten million copies.
(b) More than ten million copies.
(c) Four million copies.
(d) Eight million copies.
Short Answer Questions
1. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
2. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
3. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
4. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
5. How many proposals does White have to make a movie of "Charlotte's Web"?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)