|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty eight years.
(b) Forty four years.
(c) Forty five years.
(d) Forty six years.
2. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
3. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
4. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Photos and information.
(b) Only photos.
(c) Neither photos nor information.
(d) Only information.
5. What book does White negotiate the movie rights for between 1966 and 1970?
(a) "Here is New York".
(b) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(c) "Charlotte's Web".
(d) "Stuart Little".
6. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
7. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
(a) Nine months.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Twelve months.
8. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Sun Times.
(b) New York Daily News.
(c) New York Herald Tribune.
(d) New York Times.
9. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
(a) Two hundred.
(b) Three hundred.
(c) Over five hundred.
(d) Four hundred.
10. When does White write to President Nixon?
(a) September, 1970.
(b) July, 1969.
(c) July, 1970.
(d) September, 1969.
11. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
12. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is amused.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is offended.
(d) She is appreciative.
13. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "Travels with Charley".
(b) "Of Mice and Men".
(c) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(d) "East of Eden".
14. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Art and Design.
(b) The Museum of Modern Art.
(c) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
15. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(a) The lake.
(b) The zoo.
Short Answer Questions
1. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
2. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
3. When does E.B. White pass away?
4. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
5. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)