|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
(b) Life and Harper's.
(c) Neither Life nor Harper's.
2. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
(a) Cornell and Harvard.
(b) Cornell, Yale, and Harvard.
(c) Cornell and Yale.
(d) Yale and Harvard.
3. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
(c) Club soda.
4. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(b) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(c) He has too many ideas for stories.
(d) He does not have an idea for a story.
5. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) John Updike.
(b) Ian Fleming.
(c) William Faulkner.
(d) Harper Lee.
6. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Bars, subways, and garages.
(b) Subways, closets, and garages.
(c) Bars, closets, and garages.
(d) Bars, subways, and closets.
7. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
8. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To talk to people he knows.
(b) To study his life.
(c) To read his words.
(d) To talk to him.
9. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
10. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
(a) Random House.
(b) Macmillan Co.
(c) Simon & Schuster.
(d) Harper Collins.
11. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
(a) Fifty three.
(b) Twenty four.
(c) Seventy three.
(d) Eighty four.
12. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(a) The zoo.
(b) The lake.
13. When does Katharine pass away?
(a) July, 1977.
(b) July, 1978.
(c) November, 1978.
(d) November, 1977.
14. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
15. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The style of the spider.
(b) The shade of the sky.
(c) The color of the pig.
(d) The lettering of the title.
Short Answer Questions
1. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
2. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
5. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)