|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
(b) Suspiciously sad.
(c) Suspiciously serpentine.
(d) Uncharacteristically excited.
2. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
3. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
(a) Harper's magazine.
(b) The New Yorker.
(c) The New York Post.
(d) The New York Herald Times.
4. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(c) Twenty thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
5. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
(a) The owner of Harper & Brothers.
(b) A former Harper's coworker of White.
(c) A former New Yorker coworker of White.
(d) The editor at Harper & Brothers.
6. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
7. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
8. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Photos and information.
(b) Only photos.
(c) Only information.
(d) Neither photos nor information.
9. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Anne Boyd.
(b) John Antill.
(c) Lindley Evans.
(d) Benjamin Lee.
10. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Walt Disney.
(b) Hanna Barbera.
(c) Warner Bros.
(d) Ruby Spears.
11. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
(a) The Sixteen Clocks.
(b) The Thirteen Clocks.
(c) The Thirteen Doors.
(d) The Sixteen Doors.
12. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
(a) Because of the income he is generating.
(b) Because Katharine is there.
(c) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
(d) Because he enjoys the work.
13. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
14. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
15. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which publishing company contacts White about using his text for Strunk's book?
2. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
3. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
4. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
5. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)