|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Times.
(b) New York Sun Times.
(c) New York Daily News.
(d) New York Herald Tribune.
2. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty six years.
(b) Forty five years.
(c) Forty eight years.
(d) Forty four years.
3. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
4. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
5. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Fifty six years.
(b) Twenty six years.
(c) Forty six years.
(d) Thirty six years.
6. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Subways, closets, and garages.
(b) Bars, closets, and garages.
(c) Bars, subways, and closets.
(d) Bars, subways, and garages.
7. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
(a) Yale and Harvard.
(b) Cornell and Harvard.
(c) Cornell and Yale.
(d) Cornell, Yale, and Harvard.
8. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(b) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(c) Symphony in B-flat Major.
(d) Quartet in F Major.
9. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
10. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Anne Boyd.
(b) Lindley Evans.
(c) John Antill.
(d) Benjamin Lee.
11. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) No different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
12. How many major surgeries does Katharine have between 1966 and 1970?
13. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
(a) Twenty four.
(b) Eighty four.
(c) Seventy three.
(d) Fifty three.
14. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Larchmont, NY.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Brooklyn, NY.
(d) Pelham, NY.
15. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
(a) Shrimp newburg.
(b) Ahi Carpaccio.
(c) Shad roe.
(d) Fiddlehead ferns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
2. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
3. When does White write to President Nixon?
4. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
5. Based on White's input to a book on the New Yorker, from which magazines was Ross trying to make the New Yorker different?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)