|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To study his life.
(b) To talk to people he knows.
(c) To read his words.
(d) To talk to him.
2. What does White state in the official "letter from the author" that a child receives when writing to him?
(a) That he never dreamed of writing to an author.
(b) That children have always been fans of literature.
(c) That children should read more books.
(d) That he always dreamed of writing to an author.
3. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty five years.
(b) Forty six years.
(c) Forty eight years.
(d) Forty four years.
4. What type of people did Ross hire when starting the New Yorker, according to White?
(a) Unmotivated and inexperienced.
(b) Talented if inexperienced.
(c) Talented and experienced.
(d) Motivated if inexperienced.
5. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
(a) The Thirteen Doors.
(b) The Sixteen Clocks.
(c) The Thirteen Clocks.
(d) The Sixteen Doors.
6. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
(a) Because of the income she is generating.
(b) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
(c) Because White is there.
(d) Because she enjoys the work.
7. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
(a) The editor at Harper & Brothers.
(b) The owner of Harper & Brothers.
(c) A former New Yorker coworker of White.
(d) A former Harper's coworker of White.
8. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) An electric typewriter.
(b) A solid supply of paper.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) A wide assortment of pens.
9. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Quartet in F Major.
(b) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(c) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(d) Symphony in B-flat Major.
10. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A new grading system for schools.
(b) Voluntary prayer in school.
(c) A shortened school day for students.
(d) A longer school day for students.
11. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Mel Crawford.
(b) Corinne Malvern.
(c) Garth Williams.
(d) Sharon Kane.
12. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Modern Art.
(b) The Museum of Art and Design.
(c) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(d) The Antique Automobiles Show.
13. When does E.B. White pass away?
(a) October 10, 1985.
(b) October 5, 1985.
(c) October 1, 1985.
(d) October 14, 1985.
14. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
(a) To allow it to ripen.
(b) To allow it to breathe.
(c) To allow it to seem familiar.
(d) To allow it to seem new.
15. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(a) The zoo.
(d) The lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
2. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
3. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
4. In a memo to Harold Ross, how many inches does White say that the height of taxi cab doors are?
5. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)