|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Corinne Malvern.
(b) Garth Williams.
(c) Mel Crawford.
(d) Sharon Kane.
2. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is offended.
(b) She is amused.
(c) She is appreciative.
(d) She is confused.
3. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
(a) July, 1961.
(b) February, 1962.
(c) March, 1961.
(d) September, 1962.
4. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
5. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) William Faulkner.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) Ian Fleming.
(d) John Updike.
6. When does White write to President Nixon?
(a) September, 1970.
(b) September, 1969.
(c) July, 1969.
(d) July, 1970.
7. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Museum of Automotive Design.
(b) The Antique Automobiles Show.
(c) The Museum of Art and Design.
(d) The Museum of Modern Art.
8. When is the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan" performed?
(a) May 13, 1972.
(b) May 13, 1971.
(c) April 15, 1972.
(d) April 15, 1971.
9. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
(a) Eighty four.
(b) Twenty four.
(c) Seventy three.
(d) Fifty three.
10. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Herald Tribune.
(b) New York Times.
(c) New York Daily News.
(d) New York Sun Times.
11. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
12. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In June, 1952.
(b) In October, 1953.
(c) In June, 1953.
(d) In October, 1952.
13. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) An expanded and revised version.
(b) An edited and shortened version.
(c) The same version.
(d) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
14. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
(a) Onward and Upward in the Garden.
(b) Onward in the Garden.
(c) The Garden, Onward and Upward.
(d) Upward in the Garden.
15. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Only photos.
(b) Photos and information.
(c) Neither photos nor information.
(d) Only information.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
2. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
3. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
4. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
5. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)