|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Twenty six years.
(b) Thirty six years.
(c) Forty six years.
(d) Fifty six years.
2. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
(a) Shad roe.
(b) Fiddlehead ferns.
(c) Shrimp newburg.
(d) Ahi Carpaccio.
3. According to his humorous memo to Ross, at which symposium did White decline to speak?
(a) The Antique Automobiles Show.
(b) The Museum of Modern Art.
(c) The Museum of Art and Design.
(d) The Museum of Automotive Design.
4. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(b) He does not have an idea for a story.
(c) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(d) He has too many ideas for stories.
5. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To talk to people he knows.
(b) To study his life.
(c) To talk to him.
(d) To read his words.
6. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is offended.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is appreciative.
(d) She is amused.
7. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
(a) A style of writing is like an alter-ego for a writer.
(b) He set out to deliberately achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(c) He never set out to achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(d) A style of writing is like a coat that a writer puts on.
8. What does White write to his granddaughter about journalism?
(a) It is the basis for all of his books.
(b) It is where he feels the least comfortable.
(c) It is where he feels the most comfortable.
(d) It is the foundation for most of his books.
9. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Ten thousand dollars.
(d) Seventy five hundred dollars.
10. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) The same version.
(b) An edited and shortened version.
(c) An expanded and revised version.
(d) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
11. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Hanna Barbera.
(b) Warner Bros.
(c) Ruby Spears.
(d) Walt Disney.
12. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
(a) To allow it to breathe.
(b) To allow it to seem new.
(c) To allow it to ripen.
(d) To allow it to seem familiar.
13. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Neither photos nor information.
(b) Only photos.
(c) Photos and information.
(d) Only information.
14. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
(a) He thinks the book will be more exciting.
(b) He thinks the stories will have more impact.
(c) He thinks his life is not that interesting.
(d) He thinks it will be easier to understand.
15. What does White caution Thurber about his story in the memo?
(a) Excluding an explanation of how the story compares to others.
(b) Excluding an explanation of the key points of the story.
(c) Explaining what the book is and is not.
(d) Explaining why the book should be read.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
2. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
3. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
4. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
5. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)