|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
(a) The writer has to keep going until the end.
(b) Think of a subject and begin.
(c) One has to want to write a book.
(d) Set aside several days for the writing process.
2. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty four years.
(b) Forty six years.
(c) Forty five years.
(d) Forty eight years.
3. How does Cathy Durham's librarian respond to White's letter to Cathy?
(a) She is appreciative.
(b) She is offended.
(c) She is confused.
(d) She is amused.
4. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To study his life.
(b) To talk to him.
(c) To talk to people he knows.
(d) To read his words.
5. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
(a) November, 1961.
(b) March, 1961.
(c) June, 1962.
(d) April, 1962.
6. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
(a) Edward Teller.
(b) William Bradford Shockley.
(c) Donald Arthur Glaser.
(d) Charles Hard Townes.
7. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) An edited and shortened version.
(b) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
(c) An expanded and revised version.
(d) The same version.
8. When does White respond to a letter by Cathy Durham?
(a) March, 1961.
(b) September, 1962.
(c) July, 1961.
(d) February, 1962.
9. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
(a) Humble has two meanings. It means "not proud" and "close to the ground."
(b) Seven is a lucky number.
(c) Versatile means I can change with ease from one thing to another.
(d) Never hurry and never worry.
10. Who does the drawings for "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Garth Williams.
(b) Mel Crawford.
(c) Corinne Malvern.
(d) Sharon Kane.
11. What type of sound do the suggested songs for "Charlotte's Web" have in White's opinion?
12. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
(a) He thinks it will be easier to understand.
(b) He thinks the book will be more exciting.
(c) He thinks the stories will have more impact.
(d) He thinks his life is not that interesting.
13. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
14. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) No different than it was in the 1920s.
15. What response does White offer to a confused student at Newton High School?
(a) He never set out to achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
(b) A style of writing is like an alter-ego for a writer.
(c) A style of writing is like a coat that a writer puts on.
(d) He set out to deliberately achieve an identifiable style in his writing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
2. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
3. In a letter to James Thurber, what injury does White sustain while falling onto an awning?
4. What reason does White give his agent for putting the book, Charlotte's Web, aside for a while?
5. How long does White carefully study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" before returning it to his agent with his annotations?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)