|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
2. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) A wide assortment of pens.
(b) A dictionary.
(c) A solid supply of paper.
(d) An electric typewriter.
3. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(b) The lake.
(c) The zoo.
4. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Photos and information.
(b) Only information.
(c) Only photos.
(d) Neither photos nor information.
5. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
(a) Six months.
(b) Nine months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Three months.
6. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
(a) Cornell and Harvard.
(b) Cornell, Yale, and Harvard.
(c) Cornell and Yale.
(d) Yale and Harvard.
7. What is the name of White's dog, mentioned in the letter to his stepson?
8. As he explains to his stepson, why is White not writing?
(a) He is having bouts of dizziness.
(b) He is taking an intentional vacation.
(c) He does not have an idea for a story.
(d) He has too many ideas for stories.
9. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) An edited and shortened version.
(b) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
(c) An expanded and revised version.
(d) The same version.
10. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Suspiciously sad.
(b) Uncharacteristically bird-like.
(c) Uncharacteristically excited.
(d) Suspiciously serpentine.
11. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
12. What does White state in the official "letter from the author" that a child receives when writing to him?
(a) That children have always been fans of literature.
(b) That he always dreamed of writing to an author.
(c) That he never dreamed of writing to an author.
(d) That children should read more books.
13. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
(d) West Palm Beach.
14. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 75,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 50,000 copies are sold.
15. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In October, 1953.
(b) In June, 1952.
(c) In June, 1953.
(d) In October, 1952.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
2. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
3. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
4. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
5. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)