|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
(b) Writing fast.
2. In a letter to Stanley, how often does White say he puts his head in traction?
(a) Ten minutes, several times a day.
(b) Five minutes, several times a week.
(c) Five minutes, once a day.
(d) Ten minutes, once a week.
3. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A longer school day for students.
(b) A new grading system for schools.
(c) Voluntary prayer in school.
(d) A shortened school day for students.
4. What does White write to his granddaughter about journalism?
(a) It is where he feels the most comfortable.
(b) It is where he feels the least comfortable.
(c) It is the basis for all of his books.
(d) It is the foundation for most of his books.
5. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "East of Eden".
(b) "The Grapes of Wrath".
(c) "Travels with Charley".
(d) "Of Mice and Men".
6. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
(a) A frog.
(b) A swan.
(c) A squirrel.
(d) A muskrat.
7. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 75,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 50,000 copies are sold.
8. Which nuclear physicist does White exchange letters with about nuclear disarmament?
(a) William Bradford Shockley.
(b) Charles Hard Townes.
(c) Edward Teller.
(d) Donald Arthur Glaser.
9. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
(a) Club soda.
10. What is the title of Katharine's posthumous book?
(a) Onward in the Garden.
(b) Upward in the Garden.
(c) Onward and Upward in the Garden.
(d) The Garden, Onward and Upward.
11. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
(a) Forty five years.
(b) Forty four years.
(c) Forty six years.
(d) Forty eight years.
12. When does White write to President Nixon?
(a) September, 1969.
(b) July, 1970.
(c) September, 1970.
(d) July, 1969.
13. Where in Florida do the Whites travel to in 1963?
(d) West Palm Beach.
14. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) Frederick G. Payne.
(b) William D. Hathaway.
(c) Edmund S. Muskie.
(d) Margaret Chase Smith.
15. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Twenty six years.
(b) Thirty six years.
(c) Fifty six years.
(d) Forty six years.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Katharine pass away?
2. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
3. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
4. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
5. What production company eventually acquires the project of making the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)