|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does E.B. White pass away?
(a) October 14, 1985.
(b) October 5, 1985.
(c) October 1, 1985.
(d) October 10, 1985.
2. Who writes the score for the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(a) Lindley Evans.
(b) John Antill.
(c) Anne Boyd.
(d) Benjamin Lee.
3. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) William D. Hathaway.
(b) Edmund S. Muskie.
(c) Margaret Chase Smith.
(d) Frederick G. Payne.
4. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
(a) Harper's magazine.
(b) The New York Herald Times.
(c) The New York Post.
(d) The New Yorker.
5. Which one of the following is a concern that White has about the illustrations in "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) The shade of the sky.
(b) The lettering of the title.
(c) The color of the pig.
(d) The style of the spider.
6. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
(b) The zoo.
(c) The lake.
7. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Ten thousand dollars.
(c) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
8. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A shortened school day for students.
(b) A longer school day for students.
(c) Voluntary prayer in school.
(d) A new grading system for schools.
9. In another office memo, for which James Thurber story does White offer his comments?
(a) The Thirteen Doors.
(b) The Sixteen Clocks.
(c) The Sixteen Doors.
(d) The Thirteen Clocks.
10. Which newspaper does White write to in protest about their profile of New Yorker editor, William Shawn?
(a) New York Times.
(b) New York Sun Times.
(c) New York Herald Tribune.
(d) New York Daily News.
11. When does a new printing for "Charlotte's Web" begin?
(a) After 25,000 copies are sold.
(b) After 50,000 copies are sold.
(c) After 100,000 copies are sold.
(d) After 75,000 copies are sold.
12. How much consideration does the animation studio give to White's suggestions?
(a) A lot.
(d) A fair amount.
13. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
14. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Only photos.
(b) Only information.
(c) Neither photos nor information.
(d) Photos and information.
15. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
(a) November, 1961.
(b) June, 1962.
(c) April, 1962.
(d) March, 1961.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the article that White's granddaughter, Martha, writes?
2. What trouble does White mention he has when writing, due to his impaired vision?
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
4. Which one of the following is not included in the advice White gives to fourth-graders in Columbus, Ohio about how to write a book?
5. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)