|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
2. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Fifty six years.
(b) Twenty six years.
(c) Thirty six years.
(d) Forty six years.
3. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) An electric typewriter.
(b) A wide assortment of pens.
(c) A dictionary.
(d) A solid supply of paper.
4. When does White learn about the death of James Thurber?
(a) June, 1962.
(b) March, 1961.
(c) April, 1962.
(d) November, 1961.
5. When does White write to his agent about his reservations of a Czech producer's plans for a movie about "Charlotte's Web"?
6. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(b) Symphony in B-flat Major.
(c) Quartet in F Major.
(d) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
7. When does White inform his publisher that he thinks "Charlotte's Web" appeals more to adults than children?
(a) In October, 1952.
(b) In June, 1952.
(c) In June, 1953.
(d) In October, 1953.
8. Of which upcoming fiction writer are the Whites fans?
(a) John Updike.
(b) Harper Lee.
(c) Ian Fleming.
(d) William Faulkner.
9. In a letter to Howard Cushman, what request does White have about trumpeter swans?
(a) Photos and information.
(b) Only information.
(c) Neither photos nor information.
(d) Only photos.
10. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) No different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
11. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Twenty thousand dollars.
(b) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(c) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
12. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
(a) Fiddlehead ferns.
(b) Shrimp newburg.
(c) Ahi Carpaccio.
(d) Shad roe.
13. Which Maine Senator does White write to in opposition of the Dirksen amendment?
(a) Margaret Chase Smith.
(b) William D. Hathaway.
(c) Frederick G. Payne.
(d) Edmund S. Muskie.
14. What does White state in the official "letter from the author" that a child receives when writing to him?
(a) That he always dreamed of writing to an author.
(b) That children have always been fans of literature.
(c) That children should read more books.
(d) That he never dreamed of writing to an author.
15. Who first sends White a copy of Strunk's textbook about English usage and style?
(b) A relative.
(c) The editors of the book.
(d) A friend from Cornell.
Short Answer Questions
1. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
2. Where does White first publish his remembrance of Strunk?
3. What newspaper does White write to in order to correct an editorial that attributes Thurber's fame to him?
4. How long were Katharine and E.B. White married?
5. In 1956, why is Katharine still at the New Yorker?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)