|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White encourage a college student to get in order to inspire her to write?
(a) A dictionary.
(b) A solid supply of paper.
(c) An electric typewriter.
(d) A wide assortment of pens.
2. What is the main reason why White is still at the New Yorker in 1956?
(a) Because of the income he is generating.
(b) Because he enjoys the work.
(c) Because Katharine is there.
(d) Because of the death of Gus Lobrano.
3. Why is Katharine hospitalized in 1952?
(a) An appendix infection.
(c) A fever.
(d) A liver infection.
4. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Fifty six years.
(b) Forty six years.
(c) Thirty six years.
(d) Twenty six years.
5. Why does White initially think his biography should be shorter?
(a) He thinks the book will be more exciting.
(b) He thinks the stories will have more impact.
(c) He thinks it will be easier to understand.
(d) He thinks his life is not that interesting.
6. When do White and Katharine retire from the New Yorker?
7. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Ten thousand dollars.
(b) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(c) Twenty thousand dollars.
(d) Eighty five hundred dollars.
8. What version of White's remembrance of Strunk is used in the final copy of "The Elements of Style"?
(a) The same version with notes included at the end of the text.
(b) An expanded and revised version.
(c) An edited and shortened version.
(d) The same version.
9. Which Mozart piece does White recommend for the "Charlotte's Web" movie?
(a) Violin Concerto No. 4 in D Major.
(b) String Quartet No. 10 in C Major.
(c) Quartet in F Major.
(d) Symphony in B-flat Major.
10. How does White explain his fascination with spiders in a letter?
(a) He had a conversation with one.
(b) He studied them by reading a book about spiders.
(c) He watched one spin a web.
(d) He saw a unique looking spider on his farm.
11. In a letter to his brother, Stanley, what does White fear the surgeons will find in his abdomen during an operation?
(a) Ahi Carpaccio.
(b) Shrimp newburg.
(c) Shad roe.
(d) Fiddlehead ferns.
12. How long does White carefully study the screenplay for "Charlotte's Web" before returning it to his agent with his annotations?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One week.
(c) Two months.
(d) One month.
13. What town's fifth grade students receive a letter from White, answering their questions about "Charlotte's Web"?
(a) Larchmont, NY.
(b) Brooklyn, NY.
(c) Pelham, NY.
(d) New York, NY.
14. When does a former secretary of the New Yorker contact White about "The Elements of Style"?
(a) April, 1982.
(b) September, 1982.
(c) December, 1982.
(d) August, 1982.
15. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
(a) A squirrel.
(b) A muskrat.
(c) A frog.
(d) A swan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many corrections does White send to Scott Elledge for the first part of his biography?
2. What does White write to his granddaughter about journalism?
3. Which station does White politely decline an interview with in 1978?
4. In a May, 1952 letter, how does White describe the goose on the cover of "Charlotte's Web"?
5. What is the subject of Sam Beaver's poem included in the children's concert of "The Trumpet of the Swan"?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)