|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Dirksen amendment involve?
(a) A new grading system for schools.
(b) Voluntary prayer in school.
(c) A shortened school day for students.
(d) A longer school day for students.
2. Which piece of Charlotte's advice does White give to his publisher regarding the revisions on the illustrations for the book?
(a) Versatile means I can change with ease from one thing to another.
(b) Never hurry and never worry.
(c) Seven is a lucky number.
(d) Humble has two meanings. It means "not proud" and "close to the ground."
3. Which John Steinbeck book was the result of an assignment for Holiday magazine that White could not complete?
(a) "Travels with Charley".
(b) "East of Eden".
(c) "Of Mice and Men".
(d) "The Grapes of Wrath".
4. How many copies of "The Elements of Style" have been sold?
(a) Ten million copies.
(b) Eight million copies.
(c) Four million copies.
(d) More than ten million copies.
5. What examples does White include in a memo as entrances that would infuriate people if they were the same height as a taxi cab door?
(a) Subways, closets, and garages.
(b) Bars, subways, and garages.
(c) Bars, subways, and closets.
(d) Bars, closets, and garages.
6. In a letter to Robert Coates, what does White say he used to facilitate his recovery of swollen throat muscles?
(c) Club soda.
7. How many years does White do newsbreaks for the New Yorker before retiring?
(a) Fifty six years.
(b) Twenty six years.
(c) Thirty six years.
(d) Forty six years.
8. What is the annual limitation income that White agrees to for tax purposes?
(a) Seventy five hundred dollars.
(b) Twenty thousand dollars.
(c) Eighty five hundred dollars.
(d) Ten thousand dollars.
9. After a series of illnesses, how many months of the year does Katharine arrange to work for the New Yorker?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Three months.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nine months.
10. When does White write a letter to his stepson, Roger, and his wife, Carol?
11. In a response to a student's letter, what does White say is the best way to learn about a writer?
(a) To read his words.
(b) To talk to him.
(c) To study his life.
(d) To talk to people he knows.
12. In his letter to fifth grade students, how many sheep does White say that he has?
13. In White's opinion, how different is the New Yorker in the 1950s?
(a) No different than it was in the 1920s.
(b) Moderately different than it was in the 1920s.
(c) Slightly different than it was in the 1920s.
(d) Completely different than it was in the 1920s.
14. Who is Ursula Nordstrom?
(a) The owner of Harper & Brothers.
(b) The editor at Harper & Brothers.
(c) A former Harper's coworker of White.
(d) A former New Yorker coworker of White.
15. How many minor surgeries does Katharine undergo between 1966 and 1970?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his letter, what stays in White's pond for several days?
2. Which city's orchestra does White adapt "The Trumpet of the Swan" for?
3. When does Katharine pass away?
4. How many letters of condolence does White receive after Katharine's passing?
5. Which colleges are included in the list that White mentions as receiving portions of Katharine's books?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)