|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does White travel to after disappearing from the New Yorker?
(d) Rhode Island.
2. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
3. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(d) Portrait painting.
4. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
5. How does White describe the perception of him at the New Yorker office in July, 1931?
(a) An unapologetic vacationist.
(b) A returning vacationist.
(c) An unpredictable vacationist.
(d) A perpetual vacationist.
6. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
(a) September, 1927.
(b) September, 1924.
(c) November, 1925.
(d) November, 1926.
7. What idea does White speak against while in Washington?
(a) That writing can be done by committee.
(b) That writing can be done without humor.
(c) That writing can be done without research.
(d) That writing can be done under pressure.
8. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Times.
(b) Cornell Daily News.
(c) Cornell Daily Sun.
(d) Cornell Post.
9. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
10. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
(a) Interested, but not interesting.
(b) Neither interesting nor interested.
(c) Interesting, but not interested.
(d) Both interested and interesting.
11. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
(a) New and underpaid.
(b) New and overpaid.
(c) Old and overpaid.
(d) Old and underpaid.
12. How long after the wedding do White and Katharine return to their jobs?
(a) Two weeks later.
(b) The next week.
(c) The next day.
(d) Two days later.
13. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
14. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
(a) Nobody threw anything.
(b) There was a dog fight.
(c) Everyone was late.
(d) It was a very nice wedding.
15. How many children did White's parents have?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
2. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
3. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
4. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
5. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)