|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
(a) St. Barnabas Hospital.
(b) St. Vincent's Hospital.
(c) St. Mary's Hospital.
(d) St. Luke's Hospital.
2. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
3. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Robert Browning.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
4. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will have an alternate ending.
(b) That they will be unedited.
(c) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
(d) That they will include an extra chapter.
5. What idea does White speak against while in Washington?
(a) That writing can be done without research.
(b) That writing can be done under pressure.
(c) That writing can be done without humor.
(d) That writing can be done by committee.
6. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
(a) The disappearance of the American touring car.
(b) The lack of quality news stories.
(c) The changes in the design of sailing boats.
(d) The excessive number of movie critics.
7. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
8. What section of the American freedoms pamphlet is White originally hired to write, before being asked to rewrite the entire document?
(a) The section on Freedom of Speech.
(b) The section on Freedom of the Press.
(c) The section on the Pursuit of Happiness.
(d) The section on the Right to Bear Arms.
9. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
10. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) Martin Sampson.
(c) William Strunk.
(d) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
11. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The classified section.
(b) The front page.
(c) The leisure section.
(d) The last page.
12. How does White describe himself as a child?
(a) Nervous and fretful.
(b) Neither nervous nor fretful.
(c) Fretful, but not nervous.
(d) Nervous, but not fretful.
13. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Six minutes.
(b) Eight minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Two minutes.
14. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
(a) Not more than two weeks.
(b) Not more than one week.
(c) Not more than ten days.
(d) Not more than five days.
15. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's with the Laughter?"
(b) "What's the Joke?"
(c) "Where's the Humor?"
(d) "What's So Funny?"
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
2. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
3. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
4. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
5. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)