|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
(a) The legal profession.
(b) The medical profession.
(c) The labor unions.
(d) The entertainment industry.
2. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
3. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) Seventy eight cents.
(b) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(c) Forty eight cents.
(d) One dollar and forty eight cents.
4. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Marion Harion.
(b) Lillian Illian.
(c) Marion Carion.
(d) Lillian Gillian.
5. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
6. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
7. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Institute of Education.
(b) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(c) The National Council of the Arts.
(d) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
8. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
9. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
10. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(c) Portrait painting.
11. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
12. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Rope ladder tree.
(b) Willow tree.
(c) All-purpose tree.
(d) Hollow tree.
13. Where is the Whites' farm located?
(a) Brooklin, ME.
(b) Naskeag, ME.
(c) Sedgwick, ME.
(d) Sunshine, ME.
14. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
(a) 1934 and 1935.
(b) He writes about them both in 1935.
(c) 1935 and 1936.
(d) He writes about them both in 1936.
15. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
2. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
3. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
4. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
5. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)