|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Long columns and poetry.
(b) Short items and poetry.
(c) Long columns and short items.
(d) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
2. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The last page.
(b) The front page.
(c) The leisure section.
(d) The classified section.
3. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
4. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
(a) The Lexington Gazette.
(b) The Louisville Herald.
(c) The Lexington Sun.
(d) The Louisville Times.
5. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) Mount Vernon, NY.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Queens, NY.
(d) Brooklyn, NY.
6. Where does White wait for Alice during a missed opportunity to see her?
(a) A classroom.
(b) A bridge.
(c) A tree.
(d) A river.
7. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) April, 1940.
(b) March, 1939.
(c) July, 1940.
(d) June, 1939.
8. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(b) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(c) The situation of film critics.
(d) The situation of modern poets.
9. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's the Joke?"
(b) "What's with the Laughter?"
(c) "What's So Funny?"
(d) "Where's the Humor?"
10. When does White marry Katharine Angell?
11. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(c) Dick Tracy.
(d) Captain Courageous.
12. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) Two years.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) Two months.
13. What section of the American freedoms pamphlet is White originally hired to write, before being asked to rewrite the entire document?
(a) The section on Freedom of Speech.
(b) The section on the Right to Bear Arms.
(c) The section on Freedom of the Press.
(d) The section on the Pursuit of Happiness.
14. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
(a) A coat.
(c) A necklace.
15. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
(a) A newborn doe getting to its feet.
(b) An exotic bird's unique feeding habits.
(c) A lion's exceptionally loud roar.
(d) A newborn tiger running around.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
2. When is White's son, Joel, born?
3. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
4. How many children did White's parents have?
5. How many children does Katharine have when she and White are married?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)