|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
2. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(b) Captain Courageous.
(d) Dick Tracy.
3. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Hollow tree.
(b) Willow tree.
(c) Rope ladder tree.
(d) All-purpose tree.
4. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
(a) Three hundred dollars per week.
(b) Five hundred dollars per month.
(c) Five hundred dollars per week.
(d) Three hundred dollars per month.
5. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
(a) A necessary and rewarding task.
(b) A painful, but important task.
(c) A nearly-impossible task.
(d) An impossible task.
6. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
7. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
(a) "Every Day is Saturday".
(b) "What if Every Day Was Sunday?".
(c) "What if Every Day Was Saturday?".
(d) "Every Day is Sunday".
8. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
9. Following the death of Katharine's father, where do the Whites vacation?
10. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
11. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
(a) Not more than ten days.
(b) Not more than five days.
(c) Not more than one week.
(d) Not more than two weeks.
12. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) March, 1939.
(b) July, 1940.
(c) June, 1939.
(d) April, 1940.
13. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It should be illegal.
(b) It should be ignored.
(c) It is not illegal.
(d) It is illegal.
14. What issue should people be concerned about, according to White in a 1947 letter to John Wentworth?
(a) The misunderstanding of the country's founding principles.
(b) The ties between businesses and newspapers.
(c) Ownership in fewer hands.
(d) The lack of objectivity in newspapers.
15. How does White describe himself as a child?
(a) Fretful, but not nervous.
(b) Neither nervous nor fretful.
(c) Nervous, but not fretful.
(d) Nervous and fretful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
2. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
3. How long after the wedding do White and Katharine return to their jobs?
4. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
5. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)