|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is White's son, Joel, born?
2. How many freedoms are included in the pamphlet that the Office of Facts and Figures hires White to work on in 1941?
3. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Six minutes.
(b) Eight minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Two minutes.
4. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's with the Laughter?"
(b) "What's So Funny?"
(c) "Where's the Humor?"
(d) "What's the Joke?"
5. Which one of the following is not a writer that White works with at the New Yorker?
(a) John O'Hara.
(b) Frank Sullivan.
(c) Peter Arno.
(d) Dorothy Parker.
6. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
(a) The medical profession.
(b) The legal profession.
(c) The labor unions.
(d) The entertainment industry.
7. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
(a) Interested, but not interesting.
(b) Both interested and interesting.
(c) Interesting, but not interested.
(d) Neither interesting nor interested.
8. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
9. What phrase does White use to describe the office he and James Thurber share?
(a) A magnified coatroom.
(b) An exaggerated spare room.
(c) A sort of expanded cubicle.
(d) A sort of elongated closet.
10. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(a) Model T Roadster.
(c) Mercer Raceabout.
11. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
(a) Old and underpaid.
(b) Old and overpaid.
(c) New and underpaid.
(d) New and overpaid.
12. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
13. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(b) Portrait painting.
14. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
15. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To understand opposing points of view.
(b) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
(c) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(d) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
3. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
4. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
5. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)