|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
(a) Future soldiers.
(b) Gas station workers.
3. Who was White's favorite sibling?
4. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
5. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The classified section.
(b) The front page.
(c) The leisure section.
(d) The last page.
6. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) One month.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) One week.
7. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
8. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
(a) November, 1925.
(b) September, 1927.
(c) November, 1926.
(d) September, 1924.
9. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
(a) He writes about them both in 1935.
(b) He writes about them both in 1936.
(c) 1934 and 1935.
(d) 1935 and 1936.
10. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
(a) A newborn tiger running around.
(b) A newborn doe getting to its feet.
(c) A lion's exceptionally loud roar.
(d) An exotic bird's unique feeding habits.
11. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) Martin Sampson.
(c) William Strunk.
(d) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
12. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
(a) Eustace Tilley.
(c) The New York City skyline.
(d) A queen.
13. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
14. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
15. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Two dollars each.
(b) One dollar each.
(c) Three dollars each.
(d) Four dollars each.
Short Answer Questions
1. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
2. What phrase does White use to describe the office he and James Thurber share?
3. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
4. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
5. Which Supreme Court Justice does White reference in his letters during his time in Washington?
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)