|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does White marry Katharine Angell?
2. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
3. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
(a) Features editor.
(b) News editor.
(c) Poetry editor.
(d) Fiction editor.
4. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
(a) The legal profession.
(b) The medical profession.
(c) The entertainment industry.
(d) The labor unions.
5. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
6. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
(b) The National Council of the Arts.
(c) The National Institute of Education.
(d) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
7. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(a) Mercer Raceabout.
(c) Model T Roadster.
8. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
9. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(b) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(c) The situation of modern poets.
(d) The situation of film critics.
10. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A grasshopper.
(b) A cricket.
(c) A ladybug.
(d) A spider.
11. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
(b) The New York City skyline.
(c) A queen.
(d) Eustace Tilley.
12. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
(a) Old and underpaid.
(b) New and overpaid.
(c) New and underpaid.
(d) Old and overpaid.
13. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(a) Dick Tracy.
(b) Captain Courageous.
14. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
(a) New Jersey.
15. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
2. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
3. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
4. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
5. What does White expect the project in Washington to be?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)