|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Bread for ten cents.
(b) Milk for twenty cents.
(c) A shirt for ninety cents.
(d) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
2. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It is not illegal.
(b) It should be ignored.
(c) It is illegal.
(d) It should be illegal.
3. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
(a) The Lexington Sun.
(b) The Lexington Gazette.
(c) The Louisville Times.
(d) The Louisville Herald.
4. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
5. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(a) Captain Courageous.
(c) Dick Tracy.
6. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
(b) Short items and poetry.
(c) Long columns and short items.
(d) Long columns and poetry.
7. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
8. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
(a) Lack of editing.
(b) Inexperienced writers.
9. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Six minutes.
(b) Four minutes.
(c) Eight minutes.
(d) Two minutes.
10. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
(a) The makeup they wore.
(b) The way they wore their hair.
(c) Their dresses.
(d) Their silk stockings.
11. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
(a) A queen.
(b) Eustace Tilley.
(d) The New York City skyline.
12. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) Mount Vernon, NY.
(b) Queens, NY.
(c) New York, NY.
(d) Brooklyn, NY.
13. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(c) Portrait painting.
14. When does White resign from writing for Harper's magazine?
15. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Willow tree.
(b) All-purpose tree.
(c) Rope ladder tree.
(d) Hollow tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
2. Which one of the following is not a writer that White works with at the New Yorker?
3. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
4. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
5. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)