|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
(a) A nearly-impossible task.
(b) An impossible task.
(c) A necessary and rewarding task.
(d) A painful, but important task.
2. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
(a) The makeup they wore.
(b) Their silk stockings.
(c) Their dresses.
(d) The way they wore their hair.
3. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
(a) A committee of one.
(b) A committee of misinformation.
(c) A committee of few.
(d) A committee of ignorance.
4. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
5. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will be unedited.
(b) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
(c) That they will have an alternate ending.
(d) That they will include an extra chapter.
6. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
(a) Nobody threw anything.
(b) There was a dog fight.
(c) Everyone was late.
(d) It was a very nice wedding.
7. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
(b) The National Institute of Education.
(c) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(d) The National Council of the Arts.
8. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The classified section.
(b) The last page.
(c) The front page.
(d) The leisure section.
9. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
(a) The changes in the design of sailing boats.
(b) The disappearance of the American touring car.
(c) The excessive number of movie critics.
(d) The lack of quality news stories.
10. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
(a) New York.
(b) New England.
11. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Six weeks.
12. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
(a) "The Elements of Style".
(b) "A Subtreasury of American Humor".
(c) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(d) "Charlotte's Web".
13. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
14. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
15. What issue should people be concerned about, according to White in a 1947 letter to John Wentworth?
(a) Ownership in fewer hands.
(b) The misunderstanding of the country's founding principles.
(c) The lack of objectivity in newspapers.
(d) The ties between businesses and newspapers.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
2. What does White expect the project in Washington to be?
3. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
4. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
5. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)