|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) Six months.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
2. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
(b) A coat.
(c) A necklace.
3. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(b) Dick Tracy.
(d) Captain Courageous.
4. How long after the wedding do White and Katharine return to their jobs?
(a) Two days later.
(b) The next day.
(c) Two weeks later.
(d) The next week.
5. What is the name of White and Katharine's Scottish terrier?
6. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
(a) The Lexington Gazette.
(b) The Louisville Herald.
(c) The Louisville Times.
(d) The Lexington Sun.
7. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) One dollar and forty eight cents.
(b) Seventy eight cents.
(c) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(d) Forty eight cents.
8. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(b) The situation of modern poets.
(c) The situation of film critics.
(d) The situation of Hollywood actors.
9. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) June, 1939.
(b) July, 1940.
(c) April, 1940.
(d) March, 1939.
10. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
11. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Council of the Arts.
(b) The National Institute of Education.
(c) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(d) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
12. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
13. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
(c) William Strunk.
(d) Martin Sampson.
14. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
15. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
(a) The labor unions.
(b) The medical profession.
(c) The legal profession.
(d) The entertainment industry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Following the death of Katharine's father, where do the Whites vacation?
2. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
3. When does White marry Katharine Angell?
4. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
5. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)