|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Milk for twenty cents.
(b) Bread for ten cents.
(c) A shirt for ninety cents.
(d) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
2. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) One dollar and forty eight cents.
(b) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(c) Seventy eight cents.
(d) Forty eight cents.
3. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) Mount Vernon, NY.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Brooklyn, NY.
(d) Queens, NY.
4. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
(c) New York.
(d) New England.
5. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
(a) He writes about them both in 1936.
(b) 1934 and 1935.
(c) 1935 and 1936.
(d) He writes about them both in 1935.
6. How many children did White's parents have?
7. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Lillian Illian.
(b) Lillian Gillian.
(c) Marion Harion.
(d) Marion Carion.
8. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
(a) "All Standing Corrections".
(b) "Corrected We Stand".
(c) "Our Standing Corrections".
(d) "We Stand Corrected".
9. Who was White's favorite sibling?
10. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
11. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
(a) "What if Every Day Was Sunday?".
(b) "What if Every Day Was Saturday?".
(c) "Every Day is Sunday".
(d) "Every Day is Saturday".
12. Which Supreme Court Justice does White reference in his letters during his time in Washington?
(a) William O. Douglas.
(b) Frank Murphy.
(c) Felix Frankfurter.
(d) Tom C. Clark.
13. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
(a) A lion's exceptionally loud roar.
(b) A newborn doe getting to its feet.
(c) An exotic bird's unique feeding habits.
(d) A newborn tiger running around.
14. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 20,000.
(b) Over 50,000.
(c) Over 100,000.
(d) Over 150,000.
15. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) One week.
(b) Six weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
2. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
3. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
4. Where is the Whites' farm located?
5. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)