|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
2. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Robert Browning.
(c) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
(d) Robert Frost.
3. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(a) Dick Tracy.
(b) Captain Courageous.
4. How many children does Katharine have when she and White are married?
5. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
6. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
7. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Eight minutes.
(b) Six minutes.
(c) Two minutes.
(d) Four minutes.
8. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's the Joke?"
(b) "What's with the Laughter?"
(c) "Where's the Humor?"
(d) "What's So Funny?"
9. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Post.
(b) Cornell Times.
(c) Cornell Daily Sun.
(d) Cornell Daily News.
10. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) One month.
(b) Two months.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
11. Where does White wait for Alice during a missed opportunity to see her?
(a) A bridge.
(b) A river.
(c) A tree.
(d) A classroom.
12. Which Supreme Court Justice does White reference in his letters during his time in Washington?
(a) William O. Douglas.
(b) Felix Frankfurter.
(c) Frank Murphy.
(d) Tom C. Clark.
13. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Marion Harion.
(b) Lillian Illian.
(c) Marion Carion.
(d) Lillian Gillian.
14. How does the New York Herald Tribune refer to White in their response to his criticism?
(a) A committee of one.
(b) A committee of few.
(c) A committee of ignorance.
(d) A committee of misinformation.
15. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(b) Forty eight cents.
(c) One dollar and forty eight cents.
(d) Seventy eight cents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
2. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
3. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
4. According to White's letter to Katharine, what is "man's ancient privilege"?
5. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)