|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Katharine's father a successful businessman?
(a) New York.
(c) New England.
2. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The front page.
(b) The classified section.
(c) The leisure section.
(d) The last page.
3. What comparison does White use to illustrate his opinion of the draft in a 1942 letter to Harold Ross?
(a) The labor unions.
(b) The medical profession.
(c) The legal profession.
(d) The entertainment industry.
4. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
(b) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(c) To understand opposing points of view.
(d) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
5. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
(a) Lack of editing.
(d) Inexperienced writers.
6. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) Martin Sampson.
(c) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
(d) William Strunk.
7. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
(a) June, 1939.
(b) July, 1940.
(c) March, 1939.
(d) April, 1940.
8. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(a) Mercer Raceabout.
(d) Model T Roadster.
9. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 20,000.
(b) Over 100,000.
(c) Over 50,000.
(d) Over 150,000.
10. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
(a) News editor.
(b) Poetry editor.
(c) Fiction editor.
(d) Features editor.
11. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
(a) Nobody threw anything.
(b) Everyone was late.
(c) It was a very nice wedding.
(d) There was a dog fight.
12. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Short items and poetry.
(b) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
(c) Long columns and short items.
(d) Long columns and poetry.
13. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
(a) Neither oppressive nor bureaucratic.
(b) Oppressive, but not bureaucratic.
(c) Bureaucratic, but not oppressive.
(d) Oppressive and bureaucratic.
14. What is the name of White and Katharine's Scottish terrier?
15. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Two dollars each.
(b) Three dollars each.
(c) One dollar each.
(d) Four dollars each.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
2. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
3. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
4. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
5. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)