|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "Where's the Humor?"
(b) "What's with the Laughter?"
(c) "What's the Joke?"
(d) "What's So Funny?"
2. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Two dollars each.
(b) One dollar each.
(c) Four dollars each.
(d) Three dollars each.
3. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(b) The situation of film critics.
(c) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(d) The situation of modern poets.
4. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
5. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It is illegal.
(b) It is not illegal.
(c) It should be illegal.
(d) It should be ignored.
6. Who was White's favorite sibling?
7. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
(a) Not more than ten days.
(b) Not more than two weeks.
(c) Not more than one week.
(d) Not more than five days.
8. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
(a) Oppressive, but not bureaucratic.
(b) Oppressive and bureaucratic.
(c) Neither oppressive nor bureaucratic.
(d) Bureaucratic, but not oppressive.
9. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(d) Portrait painting.
10. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
(a) Eustace Tilley.
(b) A queen.
(d) The New York City skyline.
11. Following the death of Katharine's father, where do the Whites vacation?
12. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
(a) "What if Every Day Was Sunday?".
(b) "What if Every Day Was Saturday?".
(c) "Every Day is Sunday".
(d) "Every Day is Saturday".
13. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
(a) Three hundred dollars per week.
(b) Three hundred dollars per month.
(c) Five hundred dollars per month.
(d) Five hundred dollars per week.
14. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
(a) Grand Central Station.
(b) Central Park.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) The library.
15. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
(a) The way they wore their hair.
(b) Their silk stockings.
(c) Their dresses.
(d) The makeup they wore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe publicity to Alice while working at the American Legion News Service?
2. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
3. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
4. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
5. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)