|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It is not illegal.
(b) It should be ignored.
(c) It should be illegal.
(d) It is illegal.
2. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
(a) May, 1938.
(b) July, 1938.
(c) May, 1937.
(d) July, 1937.
3. When does White marry Katharine Angell?
4. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
5. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) A shirt for ninety cents.
(b) Bread for ten cents.
(c) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
(d) Milk for twenty cents.
6. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
(b) Long columns and short items.
(c) Short items and poetry.
(d) Long columns and poetry.
7. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
8. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Post.
(b) Cornell Daily News.
(c) Cornell Times.
(d) Cornell Daily Sun.
9. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(b) Dick Tracy.
(c) Captain Courageous.
10. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
(a) St. Mary's Hospital.
(b) St. Vincent's Hospital.
(c) St. Luke's Hospital.
(d) St. Barnabas Hospital.
11. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
(a) Oppressive, but not bureaucratic.
(b) Neither oppressive nor bureaucratic.
(c) Oppressive and bureaucratic.
(d) Bureaucratic, but not oppressive.
12. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
13. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
14. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
15. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's So Funny?"
(b) "What's with the Laughter?"
(c) "What's the Joke?"
(d) "Where's the Humor?"
Short Answer Questions
1. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
2. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
3. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
4. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
5. Where does Katharine travel to in order to get her divorce before marrying White?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)