|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will be unedited.
(b) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
(c) That they will include an extra chapter.
(d) That they will have an alternate ending.
2. What is the name of White and Katharine's Scottish terrier?
3. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
(a) Their dresses.
(b) Their silk stockings.
(c) The way they wore their hair.
(d) The makeup they wore.
4. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) Six weeks.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
5. What label does the New York Herald Tribune give to White while responding to his criticism of their editorial?
(a) A naive element of society.
(b) A questionable element of society.
(c) A dangerous element of society.
(d) A controversial element of society.
6. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A literary defective.
(b) A literary aficionado.
(c) A careful author.
(d) A selective author.
7. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It is illegal.
(b) It should be illegal.
(c) It is not illegal.
(d) It should be ignored.
8. How do Katharine and White communicate while at work?
(a) During office breaks.
(b) Interoffice memos.
(c) The office intercom.
(d) Messages delivered by other people.
9. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
10. What question does White tell Thurber he would like to ask President Roosevelt?
(a) "What's the Joke?"
(b) "Where's the Humor?"
(c) "What's with the Laughter?"
(d) "What's So Funny?"
11. Where does White first notice the New Yorker magazine?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) The library.
(c) Grand Central Station.
(d) Central Park.
12. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
(a) Mercer Raceabout.
(c) Model T Roadster.
13. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) Forty eight cents.
(b) One dollar and forty eight cents.
(c) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(d) Seventy eight cents.
14. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) Two months.
(b) Two years.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
15. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
(a) A newborn tiger running around.
(b) An exotic bird's unique feeding habits.
(c) A lion's exceptionally loud roar.
(d) A newborn doe getting to its feet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
2. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
3. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
4. When does White submit the manuscript for Stuart Little to his agent?
5. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)