|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
2. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
3. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
(a) St. Luke's Hospital.
(b) St. Vincent's Hospital.
(c) St. Mary's Hospital.
(d) St. Barnabas Hospital.
4. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To understand opposing points of view.
(b) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
(c) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(d) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
5. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
6. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(b) The situation of film critics.
(c) The situation of modern poets.
(d) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
7. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
8. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will be unedited.
(b) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
(c) That they will include an extra chapter.
(d) That they will have an alternate ending.
9. How does White categorize his debate with the New York Herald Tribune?
10. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(b) Seventy eight cents.
(c) Forty eight cents.
(d) One dollar and forty eight cents.
11. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
(a) "Corrected We Stand".
(b) "Our Standing Corrections".
(c) "We Stand Corrected".
(d) "All Standing Corrections".
12. Which one of the following is not a writer that White works with at the New Yorker?
(a) Dorothy Parker.
(b) John O'Hara.
(c) Frank Sullivan.
(d) Peter Arno.
13. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Long columns and poetry.
(b) Long columns and short items.
(c) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
(d) Short items and poetry.
14. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Three dollars each.
(b) One dollar each.
(c) Two dollars each.
(d) Four dollars each.
15. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) One week.
(d) Six weeks.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does White travel to after disappearing from the New Yorker?
2. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
3. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
4. How do Katharine and White communicate while at work?
5. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)