|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What label does the New York Herald Tribune give to White while responding to his criticism of their editorial?
(a) A dangerous element of society.
(b) A controversial element of society.
(c) A naive element of society.
(d) A questionable element of society.
2. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A literary defective.
(b) A careful author.
(c) A literary aficionado.
(d) A selective author.
3. Who was White's favorite sibling?
4. What intrigued White about the girls in high school?
(a) Their silk stockings.
(b) The makeup they wore.
(c) The way they wore their hair.
(d) Their dresses.
5. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
(b) Gas station workers.
(c) Future soldiers.
6. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
7. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Milk for twenty cents.
(b) A shirt for ninety cents.
(c) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
(d) Bread for ten cents.
8. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Post.
(b) Cornell Times.
(c) Cornell Daily Sun.
(d) Cornell Daily News.
9. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
10. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will be unedited.
(b) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
(c) That they will include an extra chapter.
(d) That they will have an alternate ending.
11. How does White refer to his work in Washington in a March 2, 1942 letter to John Fleming?
(a) A necessary and rewarding task.
(b) A painful, but important task.
(c) A nearly-impossible task.
(d) An impossible task.
12. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Marion Carion.
(b) Lillian Gillian.
(c) Lillian Illian.
(d) Marion Harion.
13. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
14. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The leisure section.
(b) The classified section.
(c) The front page.
(d) The last page.
15. In his January, 1942 letter to Katharine, how does White describe his meeting with the assembled team in Washington?
(a) Oppressive and bureaucratic.
(b) Neither oppressive nor bureaucratic.
(c) Bureaucratic, but not oppressive.
(d) Oppressive, but not bureaucratic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is on the cover of the first New Yorker magazine that White sees?
2. What is the name of White and Katharine's Scottish terrier?
3. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
4. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
5. How much bed rest does Katharine have while recovering from an illness after the birth of their son?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)