|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
2. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(b) William Strunk.
(c) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
(d) Martin Sampson.
3. Which one of the following is not a type of Hollywood tree that White includes in his letter to Stanley?
(a) Hollow tree.
(b) Rope ladder tree.
(c) All-purpose tree.
(d) Willow tree.
4. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) Two years.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) Two months.
5. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 20,000.
(b) Over 50,000.
(c) Over 100,000.
(d) Over 150,000.
6. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Six minutes.
(b) Two minutes.
(c) Four minutes.
(d) Eight minutes.
7. At what age did White begin to develop his writing style?
8. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
(a) The excessive number of movie critics.
(b) The lack of quality news stories.
(c) The changes in the design of sailing boats.
(d) The disappearance of the American touring car.
9. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
(a) Short items and poetry.
(b) Short items, long columns, and poetry.
(c) Long columns and short items.
(d) Long columns and poetry.
10. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
(a) "A Subtreasury of American Humor".
(b) "Charlotte's Web".
(c) "The Elements of Style".
(d) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
11. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) Queens, NY.
(b) New York, NY.
(c) Mount Vernon, NY.
(d) Brooklyn, NY.
12. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
(a) July, 1938.
(b) July, 1937.
(c) May, 1937.
(d) May, 1938.
13. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) A shirt for ninety cents.
(b) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
(c) Milk for twenty cents.
(d) Bread for ten cents.
14. According to White's letter to Katharine, what is "man's ancient privilege"?
(a) Living a reasonable life.
(b) Living an organized life.
(c) Living a thought-provoking life.
(d) Living a whimsical life.
15. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
(a) Lillian Gillian.
(b) Marion Carion.
(c) Marion Harion.
(d) Lillian Illian.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
2. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
3. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
4. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
5. In which hospital is White staying when he writes to his friend, Jim Wright?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)