|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
(a) "Charlotte's Web".
(b) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(c) "A Subtreasury of American Humor".
(d) "The Elements of Style".
2. When does White write to Katharine about his separation from the New Yorker?
(a) July, 1937.
(b) May, 1937.
(c) May, 1938.
(d) July, 1938.
3. Where is the Whites' farm located?
(a) Sunshine, ME.
(b) Naskeag, ME.
(c) Brooklin, ME.
(d) Sedgwick, ME.
4. What section of the American freedoms pamphlet is White originally hired to write, before being asked to rewrite the entire document?
(a) The section on the Pursuit of Happiness.
(b) The section on the Right to Bear Arms.
(c) The section on Freedom of Speech.
(d) The section on Freedom of the Press.
5. What was White's grandfather well known for?
(d) Portrait painting.
6. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of film critics.
(b) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(c) The situation of modern poets.
(d) The situation of Hollywood actors.
7. What event prompts White to write the director of the Bronx Zoo?
(a) A newborn doe getting to its feet.
(b) A lion's exceptionally loud roar.
(c) An exotic bird's unique feeding habits.
(d) A newborn tiger running around.
8. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 150,000.
(b) Over 20,000.
(c) Over 100,000.
(d) Over 50,000.
9. What does White suggest the Department of Corrections at the New Yorker should be changed to in 1935?
(a) "We Stand Corrected".
(b) "Our Standing Corrections".
(c) "All Standing Corrections".
(d) "Corrected We Stand".
10. Which one of the following is not a writer that White works with at the New Yorker?
(a) Peter Arno.
(b) Frank Sullivan.
(c) Dorothy Parker.
(d) John O'Hara.
11. How does White describe himself as a child?
(a) Fretful, but not nervous.
(b) Nervous and fretful.
(c) Nervous, but not fretful.
(d) Neither nervous nor fretful.
12. How long after the wedding do White and Katharine return to their jobs?
(a) Two days later.
(b) The next week.
(c) Two weeks later.
(d) The next day.
13. What state did White and his family travel to in August?
(d) New Jersey.
14. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
15. For which newspaper is White a campus reporter?
(a) Cornell Daily News.
(b) Cornell Daily Sun.
(c) Cornell Times.
(d) Cornell Post.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of background did White's mother have?
2. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
3. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
4. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
5. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)