|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
(a) He writes about them both in 1935.
(b) 1935 and 1936.
(c) 1934 and 1935.
(d) He writes about them both in 1936.
2. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
3. What does White befriend while vacationing in a small shack?
(a) A ladybug.
(b) A spider.
(c) A grasshopper.
(d) A cricket.
4. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
(a) "What if Every Day Was Sunday?".
(b) "What if Every Day Was Saturday?".
(c) "Every Day is Saturday".
(d) "Every Day is Sunday".
5. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) Two dollars each.
(b) One dollar each.
(c) Three dollars each.
(d) Four dollars each.
6. Which movie character does White write to his brother, Stanley, about in 1937?
(a) Dick Tracy.
(d) Captain Courageous.
7. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
(a) Soccer and archery.
(b) Soccer and naval architecture.
(c) Football and archery.
(d) Football and naval architecture.
8. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A literary defective.
(b) A careful author.
(c) A selective author.
(d) A literary aficionado.
9. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
10. What reminder does White make about the agreement with communism?
(a) It should be ignored.
(b) It is not illegal.
(c) It should be illegal.
(d) It is illegal.
11. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
(a) Gas station workers.
(b) Future soldiers.
12. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
13. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
14. When does White begin living with three other Cornell graduates?
(a) November, 1925.
(b) September, 1927.
(c) September, 1924.
(d) November, 1926.
15. What possible excuse does White provide for the New Yorker's ignorance in his humorous letter of outrage in 1945?
(b) Lack of editing.
(d) Inexperienced writers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
2. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
3. How long after the wedding do White and Katharine return to their jobs?
4. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
5. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)