|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does White buy for Katharine with the money from the published story, The Lady is Cold?
(b) A necklace.
(d) A coat.
2. Where does White travel to after disappearing from the New Yorker?
(a) Rhode Island.
3. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A selective author.
(b) A careful author.
(c) A literary defective.
(d) A literary aficionado.
4. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will have an alternate ending.
(b) That they will include an extra chapter.
(c) That they will be unedited.
(d) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
5. In a newsbreak report to Harold Ross, how long does it take White to locate the paste?
(a) Eight minutes.
(b) Two minutes.
(c) Six minutes.
(d) Four minutes.
6. Where were E.B. White's parents born?
(a) New York, NY.
(b) Mount Vernon, NY.
(c) Brooklyn, NY.
(d) Queens, NY.
7. What case does White reference in a letter to the New York Herald Tribune?
(a) The situation of Hollywood screen writers.
(b) The situation of modern poets.
(c) The situation of Hollywood actors.
(d) The situation of film critics.
8. Which of the following is not included in the list of purchases White reports to his parents in a letter?
(a) Bread for ten cents.
(b) Milk for twenty cents.
(c) Boots for five dollars and fifty cents.
(d) A shirt for ninety cents.
9. With which faculty member(s) does White eventually write "The Elements of Style"?
(a) William Strunk.
(b) Bristow Adams and Martin Sampson.
(c) Bristow Adams and William Strunk.
(d) Martin Sampson.
10. What year(s) does White write letters about Katharine's miscarriage and his mother's passing?
(a) 1934 and 1935.
(b) 1935 and 1936.
(c) He writes about them both in 1935.
(d) He writes about them both in 1936.
11. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
(a) To understand opposing points of view.
(b) To battle opposing points of view through the law.
(c) To extend the freedoms to those who do not wish to hurt the country.
(d) To extend the freedoms to everyone.
12. Writing under a nom de plume, what does White express concern over?
(a) The disappearance of the American touring car.
(b) The excessive number of movie critics.
(c) The lack of quality news stories.
(d) The changes in the design of sailing boats.
13. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
14. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
15. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) T.S. Eliot.
(b) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Robert Browning.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was White's grandfather well known for?
2. What job does White have while living with his parents in New York?
3. What type of background did White's mother have?
4. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
5. What car do White and Howard Cushman use to travel around the country?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)