|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has White's brother, Stanley, moved to in order to work as a landscape architect?
2. How long does White live with his parents after returning from his world travels?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) Two months.
(d) Two years.
3. When do the Whites rent a cottage on the coast of Maine?
4. What are the sales of White's book, Stuart Little, in 1946?
(a) Over 100,000.
(b) Over 50,000.
(c) Over 150,000.
(d) Over 20,000.
5. What concern does White have about additional editions of "Stuart Little"?
(a) That they will include an extra chapter.
(b) That they will be unedited.
(c) That they will have an alternate ending.
(d) That the foreign languages will be authentic.
6. What section of the American freedoms pamphlet is White originally hired to write, before being asked to rewrite the entire document?
(a) The section on the Pursuit of Happiness.
(b) The section on the Right to Bear Arms.
(c) The section on Freedom of Speech.
(d) The section on Freedom of the Press.
7. Declining an editor position for The Saturday Review, what does White label himself?
(a) A careful author.
(b) A literary defective.
(c) A literary aficionado.
(d) A selective author.
8. How much is White paid for his column, "One Man's Meat", for Harper's Magazine?
(a) Three hundred dollars per month.
(b) Three hundred dollars per week.
(c) Five hundred dollars per week.
(d) Five hundred dollars per month.
9. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(b) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
(c) The National Council of the Arts.
(d) The National Institute of Education.
10. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
11. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
(a) "A Subtreasury of American Humor".
(b) "The Elements of Style".
(c) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(d) "Charlotte's Web".
12. Which one of the following is not a writer that White works with at the New Yorker?
(a) Dorothy Parker.
(b) John O'Hara.
(c) Frank Sullivan.
(d) Peter Arno.
13. Where do a majority of White's columns appear in the Seattle Times?
(a) The front page.
(b) The last page.
(c) The leisure section.
(d) The classified section.
14. How many years do White and Katharine spend in Greenwich Village?
15. What does White write about in a tongue-in-cheek letter to Harold Ross in July, 1945?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does White describe Adolph Ochs, publisher of the New York Times?
2. After marrying a Wall Street broker, what example of alliteration did White's sister's name become?
3. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
4. Which one of the following is not included in the list of people White says will read the pamphlet he worked on in Washington?
5. Which Kentucky newspaper publishes White's sonnet about a race's winning horse?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)