|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to a 1931 letter to Katharine, how much does White pay for a pair of sandals at Sears Roebuck?
(a) One dollar and seventy eight cents.
(b) One dollar and forty eight cents.
(c) Seventy eight cents.
(d) Forty eight cents.
2. How much are White and Cushman offered by the Buffalo Times for their daily column?
(a) One dollar each.
(b) Three dollars each.
(c) Four dollars each.
(d) Two dollars each.
3. In what musical instrument did White's father specialize?
4. What year does White create the cartoon featuring a caption that references the "most beautiful decision" of his life?
5. What job does Katharine Angell, White's future wife, have with the New Yorker when he begins writing there?
(a) Fiction editor.
(b) Poetry editor.
(c) News editor.
(d) Features editor.
6. Which organization's offer of membership does White decline?
(a) The National Insitute of Arts and Letters.
(b) The National Council of the Arts.
(c) The National Institute of Education.
(d) The National Council of the Teachers of English.
7. Which one of White's books is co-authored by Katharine?
(a) "The Elements of Style".
(b) "The Trumpet of the Swan".
(c) "Charlotte's Web".
(d) "A Subtreasury of American Humor".
8. How long does White tell his friend, Charles Muller, that he can stay away from the farm?
(a) Not more than five days.
(b) Not more than two weeks.
(c) Not more than ten days.
(d) Not more than one week.
9. Published in 1934, what is the title of White's third book?
(a) "Every Day is Sunday".
(b) "What if Every Day Was Saturday?".
(c) "Every Day is Saturday".
(d) "What if Every Day Was Sunday?".
10. What poet does White parody in a December, 1918 letter to his mother?
(a) Robert Browning.
(b) T.S. Eliot.
(c) Robert Frost.
(d) Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.
11. What activities is White's son enjoying at Cornell?
(a) Football and archery.
(b) Football and naval architecture.
(c) Soccer and archery.
(d) Soccer and naval architecture.
12. How many musical instruments did White learn to play?
13. How does White describe his time with the New Yorker?
14. How does White describe himself as a child?
(a) Neither nervous nor fretful.
(b) Nervous and fretful.
(c) Nervous, but not fretful.
(d) Fretful, but not nervous.
15. What is the mood of White's January 8, 1938 letter to James Thurber?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does White first submit to the New Yorker?
2. Which one of the following is not included in the description White gives of his wedding?
3. When is White's son, Joel, born?
4. According to White's second rebuttal to the New York Herald Tribune, what is the best way to preserve American freedoms?
5. Where does White travel to after leaving Seattle in 1923?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)