|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the cook's horse?
2. The letter in Chapter 14 was written on ___________________.
3. How did Elinore meet Mr. Stewart?
4. Where have Elinore's husband and the men taken the thresher?
5. How many years had passed since Miss Emily and the man in #170 decided to get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was the woman who Gavotte and the others found in the cabin and what was her situation?
2. What was the status of Elinore's land claim in the fall of 1911?
3. Why did Elinore feel the need to go on a trip and where did she and Mrs. Louderer go?
4. Who was Aurelia Timmons and how did Elinore meet her?
5. What did Elinore tell Mrs. Coney about her son, Jamie, and her life in general?
6. What was the surprise encounter that Elinor and Mrs. O'Shaughnessy had with the Mormon bishop?
7. How did the group know that the outlaws had been in the group's camp?
8. What is the charming content of a letter written to Mrs. Coney by Jerrine?
9. What was Elinore's perspective on homesteading for women and why did she think it was a good solution for them?
10. What did Elinore say about the time that the thresher crew came?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Elinore's drive to be a homesteader. What did she say it required? Why did she recommend it to other women? What were the benefits of homesteading for women? What type of woman would have been the best candidate for homesteading?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of women in frontier life in early twentieth century Wyoming. How were gender roles blurred during this period of time in Wyoming? What lessons did women learn about themselves as they carved lives for their families out of the sod and hills of the prairie?
Essay Topic 3
Name at least three environmental catastrophes that plagued the Wyoming homesteaders. Then cite the reasons why each catastrophe was so devastating to the pioneers. If there were any preventative measures employed by the pioneers, state those also in your answer.
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)