|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom did Cora Belle's mother live for a short time?
2. When Zebulon came to Elinore's farm, he was excited and ___________________.
3. What food did Zebulon, Elinore and Jerrine share?
4. In what year was Zebulon born?
5. Which of the following is NOT true about Zebulon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has the sheriff been searching for and what happened to that person?
2. Who were Mr. and Mrs. Lane and her daughters and why did they visit Elinore?
3. What piece of information did Elinore neglect to tell Mrs. Coney about a major change in Elinore's life?
4. What is the premise of LETTERS OF A WOMAN HOMESTEADER?
5. What was the purpose of the sewing bee that Elinore organized for Cora Belle's family?
6. How did Elinore start the process of filing her claim for her land?
7. What offensive comment did Zebulon say to Elinore and how does she react to it?
8. Explain the sad story of Zebulon and his lost love, Pauline Gorley.
9. What reason does Elinore give for always being nice to the people she sees in the area?
10. What did Elinore write regarding the lives of Gale and Sedalia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Elinore's drive to be a homesteader. What did she say it required? Why did she recommend it to other women? What were the benefits of homesteading for women? What type of woman would have been the best candidate for homesteading?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the process of creating a new garment on the Wyoming frontier. What role did buffalo and other animal skins play in pioneer clothing? Who was primarily responsible for the family's clothing? What was the method of cleaning clothes? What practical and social aspects were inherent in a sewing bee?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how a frontier town was established. Where was it most likely to be located? What were the typical establishments in a frontier town? Why were frontier towns so volatile?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)