|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did the Gorleys think killed George Gorley?
2. Who was the widow that Elinore spent some time with on Christmas Eve?
3. On what day does Chapter 7 open?
4. Mrs. Louderer stayed with Elinore until _______________________.
5. How many children did the couple in #95 have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Sedalia and Regalia Lane.
2. What was the purpose of the sewing bee that Elinore organized for Cora Belle's family?
3. Describe Gale's wedding to Mr. Patterson.
4. What stirs up Zebulon's interest in going back to his old home?
5. What was life like for Cora Belle living with her grandparents?
6. What did Elinore write regarding the lives of Gale and Sedalia?
7. How did Elinore start the process of filing her claim for her land?
8. What reason does Elinore give for always being nice to the people she sees in the area?
9. What was in the August 15th, 1910 letter?
10. What happened in Elinore's life that introduced her to hard work earlier than normal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were Elinore's reasons for embarking on her trip to Wyoming? Wouldn't it have been safer for her to stay put with her young daughter in Denver? What did she hope to find that she had never experienced in her life up to this point? What were Elinore's greatest thrills about the trip? Were there any major disappointments? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain some of the examples of regionalism found in the book. Can regionalism include more than accents and food? What else encompasses the culture and personality of a region? What are the major differences Elinore found in her new life in Wyoming as opposed to the life she led before homesteading?
Essay Topic 3
Why were social visits so welcome among the Wyoming homesteaders? What was the nature of a typical social call from one family on another? What were some of the social events held so that groups of homesteaders could meet and form friendships? What were the usual activities that would occur at these events?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)