|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rifka say goodbye to the milkman at her house?
2. What is something that Nathan used to do for Rifka that she enjoyed?
3. What is the line between being in America, and not being in America?
4. What language does the person in #73 teach Rifka?
5. Who is the girl who Rifka plays with in the park across the street from the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can Rifka see from her bedroom window in Antwerp?
2. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
3. What terrible fate does Pieter meet during a big storm while aboard ship?
4. What sailing arrangements are made for Rifka to go to America when she is cured?
5. What does Rifka save up for to have specially made for herself?
6. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
7. How does Rifka prepare herself for going to America?
8. What are some of the foods that Rifka comes to enjoy in Antwerp?
9. What does this section of the book show about Rifka's burgeoning maturity?
10. What do Mama and Papa give to Rifka before they leave for the United States and she goes to Belgium?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the irony of Rifka's beautiful blond hair distracting the guards so that her family can be safe, but how her own life is in jeopardy when she loses her hair from illness.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Rifka's book of Pushkin poetry serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the book both before and after Rifka's arrival in America.
Essay Topic 3
"Letters from Rifka" is a letter-based novel. Explain the concept of what a letter-based novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)