|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Pieter die?
2. What is the Statue of Liberty holding up?
3. Rifka recalls that her cousins gave her _______________ for her ninth birthday.
4. Where do Mama and Papa work in America?
5. What does Rifka use to make a Star of David?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
2. Who administers Rifka's treatments in Antwerp and what else does this person teach Rifka?
3. How is Rifka's thirteenth birthday celebrated and what does she recall about a doll she received for her ninth birthday?
4. How does Rifka feel after the storm in which Pieter died?
5. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
6. What can Rifka see from her bedroom window in Antwerp?
7. How does Rifka learn to find family connections even though she is alone in Antwerp?
8. What role does Rifka's Judaism play as a way of staying connected to her family?
9. Who does the kind milkman remind Rifka of and how does she show her appreciation for his kindness?
10. What sailing arrangements are made for Rifka to go to America when she is cured?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Nathan. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
"Letters from Rifka" is a classic coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Despite the extremely trying times of people living in the post World War I immigration era, there are some who are very generous and supportive of each other. Cite at least three examples that show this strength of character and generosity.
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)