|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the sailor with whom Rifka makes friends on the ship?
2. When will Rifka truly be an American?
3. Who is the couple who has taken Rifka into their home in Belgium?
4. What does Papa give to Rifka before he leaves for America?
5. How does Pieter die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rifka save up for to have specially made for herself?
2. Who rescues Rifka when she gets lost while out exploring Antwerp?
3. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
4. How does Rifka prepare herself for going to America?
5. What does this section of the book show about Rifka's burgeoning maturity?
6. What terrible fate does Pieter meet during a big storm while aboard ship?
7. What can Rifka see from her bedroom window in Antwerp?
8. What sailing arrangements are made for Rifka to go to America when she is cured?
9. How is Rifka's thirteenth birthday celebrated and what does she recall about a doll she received for her ninth birthday?
10. What are some of the foods that Rifka comes to enjoy in Antwerp?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Saul. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Rifka. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
"Letters from Rifka" is a letter-based novel. Explain the concept of what a letter-based novel is and cite examples that support your answer.
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)