|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rifka note is missing when her rucksack is returned to her?
2. What do the women in Poland wear on their heads?
3. What organization provides aid to Rifka's family in Warsaw?
4. Rifka has a nightmare that people are trying to steal _____________________.
5. Where does Rifka's family head once everyone is well and out of the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
2. How is life in Russia better for Tovah than it was for Rifka?
3. Where is Rifka sent for her ringworm treatment and what organization is shepherding her through the process?
4. What is Uncle Avrum's role in helping Rifka's family escape on the train?
5. Why is Rifka acting as a distraction on the train?
6. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
7. What lie does Rifka tell to the guards on the train in order to quell their suspicions?
8. What happens when Mama, Papa and Nathan come down with typhus, and where do Rifka and Saul go?
9. What is missing from Rifka's rucksack when it is returned to her and how does she feel about the loss?
10. What kind deed does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw which will have negative repercussions for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Mama. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
What important life lessons does Rifka learn from little Ilya? Explain.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)