|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Rifka's family stranded in Poland?
2. What do the Russian guards use to search the train?
3. Entering _____________ is Rifka's first time in another country.
4. Rifka is the only one in the family who could pass for a Russian peasant _____________________.
5. How does Rifka close her first letter to Tovah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Rifka sent for her ringworm treatment and what organization is shepherding her through the process?
2. Why will the steamship company not sell a ticket to Rifka for passage to America?
3. What is Uncle Avrum's role in helping Rifka's family escape on the train?
4. How does Rifka try to repay Saul for the food he earns for them?
5. What is revealed about Rifka and her family, and why they had to leave Russia?
6. What does Rifka tell Tovah about her role in the family's escape plan?
7. What is Saul's advice for preventing the innkeeper's daughter from eating her food in the future?
8. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
9. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
10. Why is Rifka acting as a distraction on the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Leaving is a common theme in the story. Cite some examples of people leaving in Rifka's life and how she herself longs to leave her existence.
Essay Topic 2
Karen Hesse is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Rifka's book of Pushkin poetry serves as a powerful metaphor in the story. Be sure to include the perspective on the book both before and after Rifka's arrival in America.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)