|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Rifka's uncle who helped her family escape?
2. Who are Rifka's brothers?
3. Who is the only member of Rifka's family who does not get sick?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Rifka does at the hospital?
5. What disease does Rifka have that prevents her from getting a ticket to America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about why Rifka and her family had to leave Russia?
2. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
3. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
4. What kind deed does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw which will have negative repercussions for her?
5. What is Uncle Avrum's role in helping Rifka's family escape on the train?
6. What does Rifka tell Tovah about her role in the family's escape plan?
7. Describe Rifka's personality traits and which is probably her strongest trait?
8. How does Rifka spend her time at the hospital when she goes to see her family?
9. What disease is Rifka diagnosed with in Poland and what is her prognosis?
10. What is revealed about Rifka and her family, and why they had to leave Russia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the point of view of the story? What are the benefits and the limitations to this particular point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Mama. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
Write a character sketch of Nathan. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)