|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Rifka does at the hospital?
2. What organization provides aid to Rifka's family in Warsaw?
3. What is Rifka's prognosis according to the medical student?
4. What items did Rifka carry in her rucksack?
5. Rifka says the guard speak ill of her family because ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rifka tell Tovah about her role in the family's escape plan?
2. What is Saul's advice for preventing the innkeeper's daughter from eating her food in the future?
3. What disease is Rifka diagnosed with in Poland and what is her prognosis?
4. What happens when Mama, Papa and Nathan come down with typhus, and where do Rifka and Saul go?
5. Why is Rifka acting as a distraction on the train?
6. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
7. How does Rifka spend her time at the hospital when she goes to see her family?
8. What kind deed does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw which will have negative repercussions for her?
9. What is Rifka doing as the novel opens?
10. Describe Rifka's personality traits and which is probably her strongest trait?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a character sketch of Nathan. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of Saul. Be sure to include both physical and emotional characteristics as well as personal motivations, fears, etc.
Essay Topic 3
The quest for America takes on an almost human persona in this story. What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)