|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does the HIAS lady in Antwerp tutor Rifka in?
2. What is something that Nathan used to do for Rifka that she enjoyed?
(a) He pushed her in a cart.
(b) He brushed her hair.
(c) He bought her chocolates.
(d) He let her ride his horse.
3. The HIAS lady in Antwerp took Rifka to a cowboy movie starring whom?
(a) Roy Rogers.
(b) John Wayne.
(c) Tom Mix.
(d) Clint Eastwood.
4. Why does Sister Katrina urge Rifka to get out of her room sometimes?
(a) To get some culture.
(b) To get some exercise.
(c) To learn the language.
(d) To get a job.
5. Where do Mama and Papa work in America?
(a) A fish market.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) A grocery.
(d) A clothing factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps Rifka buy her ticket to America?
2. What had Papa told Rifka to be prepared for at Ellis Island?
3. What parting gift does Rifka buy for Sister Katrina?
4. What does Papa give to Rifka before he leaves for America?
5. What color is the little desk Rifka spends much time at in her room in Belgium?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rifka prepare herself for going to America?
2. What does Rifka save up for to have specially made for herself?
3. What excites Rifka about news in a letter from her parents?
4. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
5. What does this section of the book show about Rifka's burgeoning maturity?
6. Who rescues Rifka when she gets lost while out exploring Antwerp?
7. What terrible fate does Pieter meet during a big storm while aboard ship?
8. What role does Rifka's Judaism play as a way of staying connected to her family?
9. Where does Rifka stay when she goes to Belgium?
10. How is Rifka's thirteenth birthday celebrated and what does she recall about a doll she received for her ninth birthday?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)