|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rifka wearing as she arrives in America?
(a) A pink dress.
(b) A blue coat.
(c) A black velvet hat.
(d) New leather boots.
2. What is a word that the lady from HIAS has taught Rifka?
3. What musical instrument is Tovah good at playing?
4. Rifka says that the wounded ship moved so slowly to America that she could have _____________________.
(a) fixed the boat faster.
(b) swum there faster.
(c) rowed there faster.
(d) pushed the boat faster.
5. What business does Rifka think might be good for Bubbe Ruth?
(a) An ice cream business.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A millinery.
(d) A tailoring shop.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rifka save her money to buy?
2. What had Pieter encouraged Rifka to do?
3. What amazes the passenger's on Rifka's ship as they pull into the harbor?
4. What does Rifka think America is?
5. What excites Rifka about what her parents have in New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
2. Who is the young sailor Rifka meets on board the ship?
3. Who administers Rifka's treatments in Antwerp and what else does this person teach Rifka?
4. What excites Rifka about news in a letter from her parents?
5. What sailing arrangements are made for Rifka to go to America when she is cured?
6. What does Rifka save up for to have specially made for herself?
7. Who rescues Rifka when she gets lost while out exploring Antwerp?
8. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
9. What are some of the foods that Rifka comes to enjoy in Antwerp?
10. How does Rifka feel after the storm in which Pieter died?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)