|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language does the person in #73 teach Rifka?
2. When Rifka gets the approval to go to America, she has been gone from Berdichev for how long?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 3 months.
(d) 2 years.
3. How does Rifka say goodbye to the milkman at her house?
(a) She shakes his hand.
(b) She hugs him.
(c) She kisses his hand.
(d) She simply smiles.
4. Rifka says that the wounded ship moved so slowly to America that she could have _____________________.
(a) pushed the boat faster.
(b) fixed the boat faster.
(c) swum there faster.
(d) rowed there faster.
5. What had Pieter encouraged Rifka to do?
(a) Keep smiling.
(b) Look on the bright side.
(c) Be brave.
(d) Love with all your heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why had Uncle Avrum let Hannah take piano lessons?
2. How old is Pieter?
3. Which of the following is NOT a food Rifka discovers in Antwerp?
4. Rifka recalls that her cousins gave her _______________ for her ninth birthday.
5. What does Rifka think America is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who rescues Rifka when she gets lost while out exploring Antwerp?
2. Who administers Rifka's treatments in Antwerp and what else does this person teach Rifka?
3. Who does the kind milkman remind Rifka of and how does she show her appreciation for his kindness?
4. What excites Rifka about news in a letter from her parents?
5. What are some of the foods that Rifka comes to enjoy in Antwerp?
6. How does Rifka learn to find family connections even though she is alone in Antwerp?
7. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
8. How is Rifka's thirteenth birthday celebrated and what does she recall about a doll she received for her ninth birthday?
9. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
10. What can Rifka see from her bedroom window in Antwerp?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)