|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rifka say goodbye to the milkman at her house?
(a) She hugs him.
(b) She simply smiles.
(c) She shakes his hand.
(d) She kisses his hand.
2. Why had a lady from the HIAS taken Rifka shopping for clothes when she first arrived in Antwerp?
(a) Her clothes were too small now.
(b) Her clothes were ruined from fumigations.
(c) Her clothes were not warm enough.
(d) Her clothes had big holes in them.
3. What amazes the passenger's on Rifka's ship as they pull into the harbor?
(a) All the ships in the harbor.
(b) Ellis Island.
(c) The tall buildings.
(d) The Statue of Liberty.
4. What musical instrument is Tovah good at playing?
5. What does the person in #73 teach Rifka regarding hygiene?
(a) How to brush her teeth.
(b) How to wash her hair.
(c) How to scrub her nails.
(d) How to wash her clothes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rifka worry about while on board the ship?
2. What advantage does Rifka like about being on her own in Antwerp?
3. When does Rifka finally reach America?
4. What excites Rifka about what her parents have in New York City?
5. What must Rifka do at Ellis Island before she can go home with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rifka feel after the storm in which Pieter died?
2. What does Rifka's brief friendship with Pieter mean, and how is she able to move on past his death?
3. What are some of the foods that Rifka comes to enjoy in Antwerp?
4. Who administers Rifka's treatments in Antwerp and what else does this person teach Rifka?
5. Who is the young sailor Rifka meets on board the ship?
6. What are the passengers on board the ship fascinated by as they enter the New York harbor?
7. What can Rifka see from her bedroom window in Antwerp?
8. What sailing arrangements are made for Rifka to go to America when she is cured?
9. How does Rifka learn to find family connections even though she is alone in Antwerp?
10. What terrible fate does Pieter meet during a big storm while aboard ship?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)