|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rifka recalls that Mama always liked to ________________ at home.
(d) plant flowers.
2. Rifka says the guard speak ill of her family because ___________________.
(a) they are Jewish.
(b) they are thieves.
(c) they are peasants.
(d) they are uneducated.
3. To whom is Rifka writing when the novel begins?
4. How does Rifka know Tovah?
(a) They are neighbors.
(b) They are classmates.
(c) They are cousins.
(d) They are sisters.
5. A nurse throws a/an _____________ substance on Rifka and her mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What organization provides aid to Rifka's family in Warsaw?
2. Why is Rifka's family stranded in Poland?
3. Rifka is the only one in the family who could pass for a Russian peasant _____________________.
4. What do the Russian guards use to search the train?
5. Rifka states that life in Russia is good for Tovah because ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about Rifka and her family, and why they had to leave Russia?
2. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
3. Why will the steamship company not sell a ticket to Rifka for passage to America?
4. Why is Rifka acting as a distraction on the train?
5. What is revealed about why Rifka and her family had to leave Russia?
6. What kind deed does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw which will have negative repercussions for her?
7. How is life in Russia better for Tovah than it was for Rifka?
8. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
9. How does Rifka try to repay Saul for the food he earns for them?
10. What is Saul's advice for preventing the innkeeper's daughter from eating her food in the future?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)