|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rifka's prognosis according to the medical student?
(a) She will be better in a few days.
(b) She will die.
(c) She will have bad scars.
(d) She will be crippled for life.
2. Rifka recalls that Mama always liked to ________________ at home.
(c) plant flowers.
3. What does Saul buy every morning for his and Rifka's breakfast?
(a) Apples and rolls.
(b) Cheese and biscuits.
(c) Herring and rolls.
(d) Rolls and coffee.
4. What does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw?
(a) Gives her a roll.
(b) Fixes her hair.
(c) Reads some poetry.
(d) Holds her baby.
5. Rifka writes in her letter that her family has escaped from which country?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does NOT describe what Rifka sees in Poland, which is just like her hometown in Russia?
2. What kind of fruit does Rifka buy from the vendor at the steamship dock?
3. How old is Rifka at the beginning of the book?
4. Rifka has a nightmare that people are trying to steal _____________________.
5. What is Rifka's hometown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lie does Rifka tell to the guards on the train in order to quell their suspicions?
2. What disease is Rifka diagnosed with in Poland and what is her prognosis?
3. How does Rifka spend her time at the hospital when she goes to see her family?
4. Where is Rifka sent for her ringworm treatment and what organization is shepherding her through the process?
5. Describe Rifka's personality traits and which is probably her strongest trait?
6. What does Rifka tell Tovah about her role in the family's escape plan?
7. What is Saul's advice for preventing the innkeeper's daughter from eating her food in the future?
8. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
9. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
10. Why is Rifka acting as a distraction on the train?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)