|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Rifka give the Russian soldiers for why she is on the train?
(a) She is going to a relative's funeral.
(b) She is returning home from a holiday.
(c) She is going away to school.
(d) She is going to work for a wealthy family.
2. The Russian guards were searching for Nathan because ____________________.
(a) he broke out of prison.
(b) he stole from a bread vendor.
(c) he damaged property in a bar fight.
(d) he escaped from the army.
3. Rifka states that life in Russia is good for Tovah because ___________________.
(a) she is not Jewish.
(b) she went to a special school.
(c) her family had money.
(d) she got disability payments.
4. Which one of Rifka's family members is the first to get ill on the train?
5. What does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw?
(a) Holds her baby.
(b) Gives her a roll.
(c) Fixes her hair.
(d) Reads some poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is Rifka's hair?
2. Where does the medical student say that Rifka contracted her disease?
3. What disease does Rifka have?
4. What kind of fruit does Rifka buy from the vendor at the steamship dock?
5. Rifka says the guard speak ill of her family because ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Uncle Avrum's role in helping Rifka's family escape on the train?
2. Where is Rifka sent for her ringworm treatment and what organization is shepherding her through the process?
3. What happens when Mama, Papa and Nathan come down with typhus, and where do Rifka and Saul go?
4. What disease is Rifka diagnosed with in Poland and what is her prognosis?
5. How does Rifka try to repay Saul for the food he earns for them?
6. What is missing from Rifka's rucksack when it is returned to her and how does she feel about the loss?
7. What causes Rifka to scratch her chest until she bleeds in the night?
8. What is revealed about Rifka and her family, and why they had to leave Russia?
9. Describe Rifka's personality traits and which is probably her strongest trait?
10. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)