|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rifka feel about her brother, Saul?
(a) She detests him.
(b) She does not like him.
(c) She finds him amusing.
(d) She loves him.
2. Who is Rifka's uncle who helped her family escape?
(a) Uncle Andrick.
(b) Uncle Avrum.
(c) Uncle Anastas.
(d) Uncle Alexie.
3. Rifka writes in her letter that her family has escaped from which country?
4. What excuse does Uncle Avrum use to get the guards to come away from the train?
(a) His factory is on fire.
(b) His factory has been robbed.
(c) His son has fallen into a well.
(d) His wife has had a heart attack.
5. What organization provides aid to Rifka's family in Warsaw?
(a) Doctors Without Borders.
(b) The Polish Embassy.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Letters from Rifka" begins in September of what year?
2. How does Rifka close her first letter to Tovah?
3. Where does Rifka's family head once everyone is well and out of the hospital?
4. Who is the only member of Rifka's family who does not get sick?
5. Which of the following is NOT one of Rifka's older brothers living in America?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Saul's advice for preventing the innkeeper's daughter from eating her food in the future?
2. What humiliating things are forced upon Rifka and her family by the guards and a doctor at the Polish border?
3. What is revealed about why Rifka and her family had to leave Russia?
4. How does Rifka try to repay Saul for the food he earns for them?
5. What lie does Rifka tell to the guards on the train in order to quell their suspicions?
6. How does Rifka spend her time at the hospital when she goes to see her family?
7. What is revealed about Rifka and her family, and why they had to leave Russia?
8. What is missing from Rifka's rucksack when it is returned to her and how does she feel about the loss?
9. What is Uncle Avrum's role in helping Rifka's family escape on the train?
10. Describe Rifka's personality traits and which is probably her strongest trait?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)