|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the girl who Rifka plays with in the park across the street from the house?
2. What must Rifka do at Ellis Island before she can go home with her parents?
(a) Pay an arrival fee.
(b) Get vaccinations.
(c) Find her rucksack.
(d) Pass a medical inspection.
3. What does Rifka worry about while on board the ship?
(b) Getting seasick.
(c) Being lonesome.
(d) Having her money stolen.
4. Mama had had to take the gift in #67 and trade it for __________________.
5. What does Papa give to Rifka before he leaves for America?
(a) His watch.
(b) A bag of apples.
(c) His pipe.
(d) His tallis.
6. What language does the HIAS lady in Antwerp tutor Rifka in?
7. How long did the broken steamship drift until help arrived?
8. What does Rifka use to make a Star of David?
(b) Broom straws.
9. What is the item in #90 made of?
10. The HIAS lady in Antwerp took Rifka to a cowboy movie starring whom?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Tom Mix.
(c) Roy Rogers.
(d) Clint Eastwood.
11. How does Rifka say goodbye to the milkman at her house?
(a) She shakes his hand.
(b) She simply smiles.
(c) She hugs him.
(d) She kisses his hand.
12. When does Rifka finally reach America?
(a) July 24, 1900.
(b) June 25, 1922.
(c) September 15, 1919.
(d) October 1, 1920.
13. Rifka recalls that her cousins gave her _______________ for her ninth birthday.
(a) writing paper.
(b) a doll.
(c) a shawl.
(d) hair ribbons.
14. Why does Sister Katrina urge Rifka to get out of her room sometimes?
(a) To get a job.
(b) To get some culture.
(c) To learn the language.
(d) To get some exercise.
15. When does Rifka finally sail for America?
(a) September 1925.
(b) September 1920.
(c) September 1918.
(d) September 1922.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rifka wearing as she arrives in America?
2. Where do Mama and Papa work in America?
3. How does Rifka get to America after the ship is disabled?
4. The children in the park have fun with Rifka and good-naturedly tease her about __________________.
5. What is the only reason Rifka goes outside in Belgium?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)