|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Rifka sent to get treatment for her disease?
2. How old is Rifka at the beginning of the book?
3. Rifka recalls that Mama always liked to ________________ at home.
(a) plant flowers.
4. A nurse throws a/an _____________ substance on Rifka and her mother.
5. What organization provides aid to Rifka's family in Warsaw?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) Doctors Without Borders.
(c) The Polish Embassy.
(d) Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society.
6. What had Hannah given to Rifka before the family escaped?
(a) A hat.
(b) A scarf.
(c) A coin purse.
(d) A shawl.
7. Rifka writes in her letter that her family has escaped from which country?
8. How does Rifka feel when she realizes that the item in #29 has been stolen from her rucksack?
9. What job does Saul get while waiting on his family to get well?
(a) He washes dishes in a restaurant.
(b) He builds houses with a construction company.
(c) He mops floors at the train station.
(d) He sorts apples in an orchard.
10. What does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw?
(a) Gives her a roll.
(b) Reads some poetry.
(c) Fixes her hair.
(d) Holds her baby.
11. What is the name of the town where Rifka's family is stranded in Poland?
12. Why is Rifka's family stranded in Poland?
(a) Government orders.
(b) Lack of money.
(c) Broken train track.
13. Rifka is the only one in the family who could pass for a Russian peasant _____________________.
(a) because of her sturdy legs.
(b) because of her clothing.
(c) because of her blonde hair.
(d) because of her ruddy complexion.
14. "Letters from Rifka" begins in September of what year?
15. What reason does Rifka give the Russian soldiers for why she is on the train?
(a) She is going to a relative's funeral.
(b) She is returning home from a holiday.
(c) She is going away to school.
(d) She is going to work for a wealthy family.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse does Uncle Avrum use to get the guards to come away from the train?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Rifka does at the hospital?
3. Which of the following does NOT describe what Rifka sees in Poland, which is just like her hometown in Russia?
4. Where does Saul find a place for him and Rifka to stay?
5. Rifka says the guard speak ill of her family because ___________________.
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)