|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rifka recalls a time when Russian soldiers beat Papa because he would not give up his ____________.
2. Where are Rifka's family members taken when they get ill?
(a) A medical tent.
(b) A church.
(c) A hospital.
(d) A clinic.
3. Which of the following does NOT describe what Rifka sees in Poland, which is just like her hometown in Russia?
(a) Flower boxes on windowsills.
(b) Patchy roads.
(c) Crooked cottages.
(d) Bony fences.
4. What is Rifka's last name?
5. Who are Rifka's brothers?
(a) Saul and Pieter.
(b) Nathan and Saul.
(c) Aleksandr and Pieter.
(d) Nathan and Aleksandr.
6. What does Rifka do for a girl on the train to Warsaw?
(a) Gives her a roll.
(b) Fixes her hair.
(c) Reads some poetry.
(d) Holds her baby.
7. What kind of fruit does Rifka buy from the vendor at the steamship dock?
8. Where does Rifka's family stay while stranded in Poland?
(a) A hotel.
(b) An inn.
(c) Papa's cousin's house.
(d) A church.
9. What excuse does Uncle Avrum use to get the guards to come away from the train?
(a) His son has fallen into a well.
(b) His factory is on fire.
(c) His wife has had a heart attack.
(d) His factory has been robbed.
10. Entering _____________ is Rifka's first time in another country.
11. Rifka says the guard speak ill of her family because ___________________.
(a) they are Jewish.
(b) they are thieves.
(c) they are uneducated.
(d) they are peasants.
12. Who is the only one in Rifka's family who can speak Russian without a Yiddish accent?
13. Which of the following is NOT one of Rifka's older brothers living in America?
14. What do the women in Poland wear on their heads?
(d) Pillbox hats.
15. Rifka is the only one in the family who could pass for a Russian peasant _____________________.
(a) because of her blonde hair.
(b) because of her clothing.
(c) because of her sturdy legs.
(d) because of her ruddy complexion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Rifka does at the hospital?
2. What is Rifka's hometown?
3. Who eats the food that Rifka had saved for Saul?
4. Who is the only member of Rifka's family who does not get sick?
5. What is Rifka's prognosis according to the medical student?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)