|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Russian guards were searching for Nathan because ____________________.
(a) he broke out of prison.
(b) he stole from a bread vendor.
(c) he escaped from the army.
(d) he damaged property in a bar fight.
2. What is the name of the town where Rifka's family is stranded in Poland?
3. Rifka has a nightmare that people are trying to steal _____________________.
(a) Papa's pipe.
(b) Her coins.
(c) Her book.
(d) Mama's candlesticks.
4. Rifka carried a book written by which Russian poet?
5. What does Rifka note is missing when her rucksack is returned to her?
(a) The candlesticks.
(b) Her book.
(c) Her hair ribbons.
(d) Her good dress.
6. What do the guards make Rifka's family do at the Polish border?
(a) Stand up against the train.
(b) Lie on the ground.
(c) Remove their clothes.
(d) Put on blindfolds.
7. What does Saul buy every morning for his and Rifka's breakfast?
(a) Apples and rolls.
(b) Rolls and coffee.
(c) Cheese and biscuits.
(d) Herring and rolls.
8. Where does the medical student say that Rifka contracted her disease?
(a) Water from a pond.
(b) Somewhere in Russia.
(c) A Polish train station.
(d) On the train.
9. What is the ultimate destination of Rifka and her family?
10. Who is the only member of Rifka's family who does not get sick?
11. Rifka is the only one in the family who could pass for a Russian peasant _____________________.
(a) because of her ruddy complexion.
(b) because of her clothing.
(c) because of her blonde hair.
(d) because of her sturdy legs.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Rifka does at the hospital?
(a) Eat potatoes.
(b) Watch over her mama.
(c) Sing to the patients.
(d) Learns to speak Polish.
13. "Letters from Rifka" begins in September of what year?
14. Which of the following is NOT one of Rifka's older brothers living in America?
15. Where is Rifka sent to get treatment for her disease?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rifka know Tovah?
2. Rifka states that life in Russia is good for Tovah because ___________________.
3. How old is Rifka at the beginning of the book?
4. Who is Rifka's grandmother?
5. Where does Rifka's family stay while stranded in Poland?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)