|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Seneca, what should a person use to guide his life?
2. Who is Scipio?
3. According to Seneca, what was the goal of technological inventions of the past age?
4. How does Seneca spend most of his day?
5. Who is the author of all that happens in the world, according to Seneca?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of technology, according to Seneca?
2. What does Plato add to Aristotle's theory of causation?
3. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
4. Why does Seneca believe only a philosopher can appreciate wisdom?
5. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
6. What is Zeno's logic that a drunk man is not a good man?
7. Why does Seneca move to the country and what effects result from the move?
8. What fault does Seneca find in Zeno's logic that a good man will not drink to excess?
9. What advice does Seneca give Lucilius about coping with illness and the sometimes severe symptoms that accompany it?
10. What does Seneca say causes envy and how can envy be avoided?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is an aphorism and what is Seneca's opinion of them? What is his response to Lucilius when he requests aphorisms?
Essay Topic 2
Outline the history of Stoicism.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Stoic view of death and what happens after death.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)