|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who especially does Seneca consider when he makes his move to the country?
2. According to Letter LXXXVIII, how important is the knowledge of the liberal arts to Stoicism?
3. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
4. What does Seneca consider to be the gift of gods?
5. Why does Seneca praise suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of technology, according to Seneca?
2. Why does Seneca move to the country and what effects result from the move?
3. What does Seneca say causes envy and how can envy be avoided?
4. What advice does Seneca give Lucilius about coping with illness and the sometimes severe symptoms that accompany it?
5. What advice does Seneca give for staying safe?
6. What is the value of a liberal arts education, according to Seneca?
7. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
8. What is the concept of causation according to Aristotle?
9. Why does Seneca say the Stoic account of causation is better than both Aristotle's and Plato's?
10. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Stoicism a religion? Explore why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the festival Saturnalia. When was it held, what did it celebrate, etc? What is its relationship to a particular Christian holiday?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the lives and deaths of Socrates and Seneca.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)