|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
2. What is a syllogism?
3. Who was Posidinius?
4. What becomes of people who live a quiet, private life which incites neither anger nor envy?
5. Why does Seneca praise suicide?
Short Essay Questions
1. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
2. What is the Stoic concept of causation?
3. Which city burned and how did it affect Seneca?
4. What advice does Seneca give for staying safe?
5. What is Zeno's logic that a drunk man is not a good man?
6. Why does Seneca believe only a philosopher can appreciate wisdom?
7. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
8. What is the concept of causation according to Aristotle?
9. What does Plato add to Aristotle's theory of causation?
10. How, according to Seneca, are life and philosophy both the gifts of the gods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Zeno's life and his importance to Stoicism.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways Seneca treated or dealt with his asthma.
Essay Topic 3
What is the Greek "golden mean" and how does it apply to Stoicism?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)