|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Seneca, what destroyed man's harmonic relationship with nature?
2. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars do with philosophical theories?
3. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
4. What does Seneca say prepares the mind for philosophy?
5. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
Short Essay Questions
1. How, according to Seneca, are life and philosophy both the gifts of the gods?
2. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
3. Why does Seneca say the Stoic account of causation is better than both Aristotle's and Plato's?
4. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
5. What is the purpose of technology, according to Seneca?
6. Why does Seneca object to Posidinus' claims that philosopher's ruled during the Golden Age and were responsible for many new technological innovations?
7. What does Seneca say causes envy and how can envy be avoided?
8. Why does Seneca move to the country and what effects result from the move?
9. What is Seneca's criticism of the typical liberal arts scholar?
10. According to Seneca, what destroyed man's harmonic relationship with nature and what was the result?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Seneca's retirement from Nero's court and his quest for apatheia.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the theories of Stoicism with those of philosopher Epicurus.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Seneca's views on the importance of speech pace.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)