|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Seneca say he decided not to commit suicide?
2. How much duty does Seneca say one must must fulfill before his life ends?
3. Who says there are four causes?
4. What phrase best sums up Letter XCI?
5. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars should do with philosophical theories?
Short Essay Questions
1. How, according to Letter LXXXIII, does Seneca spend his day?
2. Why does Seneca object to Posidinus' claims that philosopher's ruled during the Golden Age and were responsible for many new technological innovations?
3. Why does Seneca believe only a philosopher can appreciate wisdom?
4. Why does Seneca say the Stoic account of causation is better than both Aristotle's and Plato's?
5. What advice does Seneca give Lucilius about coping with illness and the sometimes severe symptoms that accompany it?
6. What does Seneca say about people who have an excessive concern with pain?
7. According to Seneca, what destroyed man's harmonic relationship with nature and what was the result?
8. What is Seneca's criticism of the typical liberal arts scholar?
9. Who was Scipio and why does Seneca praise him?
10. List and explain three types of people who, according to Seneca, find philosophy attractive for the wrong reasons.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Stoic view of death and what happens after death.
Essay Topic 2
Who was Posidonius? Discuss the issue Seneca had with one of his claims and talk about the many roles of Posidonius.
Essay Topic 3
Is Stoicism a religion? Explore why or why not.
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)