|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ran away in Letter CVII that made Lucilius grieve?
2. In Letter LXXXIII, whose logic does Seneca question?
3. According to Seneca, what destroyed man's harmonic relationship with nature?
4. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
5. What is caused by the flaunting of one's possessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Scipio and why does Seneca praise him?
2. Why does Seneca believe only a philosopher can appreciate wisdom?
3. What is the value of a liberal arts education, according to Seneca?
4. What lesson can be learned from the city that burned?
5. How does Seneca feel about moving to improve studies?
6. What is the purpose of technology, according to Seneca?
7. What is Seneca's criticism of the typical liberal arts scholar?
8. What does Seneca say causes envy and how can envy be avoided?
9. What is the concept of causation according to Aristotle?
10. What is the Stoic concept of causation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Seneca's retirement from Nero's court and his quest for apatheia.
Essay Topic 2
There are three types of irony: verbal, situational and dramatic. Define each and discuss at least two examples of irony in Seneca's letters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Zeno's life and his importance to Stoicism.
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)