|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca recount taking a ride on in Letter LV?
2. According to Seneca, what must one seek between extremes in all matters?
3. How did Seneca's ancestors treat their slaves?
4. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
5. What is the characteristic of Lucilius' friend that Seneca does not hold against him?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Seneca, how much concern should a wise man have regarding his or others' physical beauty?
2. What is the goal of philosophy, as stated by Seneca?
3. As Seneca comforts Lucilius at the loss of his friend, he says grief has a purpose. What is that purpose and how should a wise Stoic man deal with the death of a friend?
4. Why didn't the Stoics write a lot of quotable quotes for students to memorize? What is his opinion about quotable quotes?
5. Why does Lucilius call Seneca a hypocrite in Letter VIII?
6. When does Seneca say a master should correct his slaves? How should slaves be corrected and why?
7. What is the appeal of a slow death for Stoics? What does Seneca believe happens after death?
8. What does Seneca say about developing friendships?
9. What is a "quibbler" and what advice does Seneca offer to Lucilius about quibblers?
10. What is the difference between a Stoic and anyone else in regards to emotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the value of a liberal arts education according to Seneca.
Essay Topic 2
Who was Posidonius? Discuss the issue Seneca had with one of his claims and talk about the many roles of Posidonius.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the theories of Stoicism with those of philosopher Epicurus.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)