|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What, according to Seneca, generally presents more opportunity to be tempted away from virtuous living?
2. What type of studies does Letter XII use as an example?
3. How should an owner be seen by his slaves, according to Seneca?
4. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
5. What is an example of unrehearsed communication?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Seneca comforts Lucilius at the loss of his friend, he says grief has a purpose. What is that purpose and how should a wise Stoic man deal with the death of a friend?
2. Discuss the necessity of and the problem with diversions, according to Seneca.
3. How does noise affect Seneca's studies and how does his explanation become a metaphor for the Stoic soul?
4. What is Seneca's opinion of Vatia? How does it differ from public opinion?
5. What happened when Seneca went out on the town in search of "witty entertainment" and how was he affected by the situation?
6. How does Seneca explain how he partakes of the festivities of Saturnalia?
7. In Letter II, how does Seneca advise Lucilius to proceed with his study of philosophy?
8. What is the appeal of a slow death for Stoics? What does Seneca believe happens after death?
9. What is a "quibbler" and what advice does Seneca offer to Lucilius about quibblers?
10. What is the difference between a Stoic and anyone else in regards to emotions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the theories of Stoicism with those of philosopher Epicurus.
Essay Topic 2
What is philosophy? What are ethics and what is the importance of ethics in philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss "apatheia."
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)