|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How should an owner be seen by his slaves, according to Seneca?
2. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
3. What kinds of noises are more distracting, according to Senenca?
4. In Letter VII, what does Lucilius accuse Seneca of being?
5. Who thinks they are the most virtuous people, according to Senenca?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the goal of philosophy, as stated by Seneca?
2. What is a "quibbler" and what advice does Seneca offer to Lucilius about quibblers?
3. What does Seneca say the unphilosophical life lacks and what does it have? Why is the life of a philosopher better?
4. What is a sedan chair and why does Seneca use one occasionally?
5. Why does Lucilius call Seneca a hypocrite in Letter VIII?
6. What are Seneca's thoughts on fear and how to eliminate it from life?
7. What does Seneca say about the study of philosophy?
8. What does Seneca confide to Lucilius about his own vices?
9. In Letter II, how does Seneca advise Lucilius to proceed with his study of philosophy?
10. What is the appeal of a slow death for Stoics? What does Seneca believe happens after death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Zeno's life and his importance to Stoicism.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the lives and deaths of Socrates and Seneca.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Seneca's views on the importance of speech pace.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)