|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Lucilius' friends dies?
2. Seneca states that a virtuous man is not concerned with the loss of a friend because:
3. According to Seneca, what creates anxiety?
4. What does Seneca say cannot be learned only through reading?
5. What kinds of noises are more distracting, according to Senenca?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Seneca, how should a wise man deal with grief itself?
2. What happened when Seneca went out on the town in search of "witty entertainment" and how was he affected by the situation?
3. What is a sedan chair and why does Seneca use one occasionally?
4. Why didn't the Stoics write a lot of quotable quotes for students to memorize? What is his opinion about quotable quotes?
5. What is the goal of philosophy, as stated by Seneca?
6. What are Seneca's thoughts on fear and how to eliminate it from life?
7. How does noise affect Seneca's studies and how does his explanation become a metaphor for the Stoic soul?
8. What does Seneca confide to Lucilius about his own vices?
9. According to Seneca, who should think about death and why?
10. What is the difference between physical and spiritual ailments, according the Seneca's seasick boat trip example?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Stoicism a religion? Explore why or why not.
Essay Topic 2
Outline the history of Stoicism.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss "apatheia."
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)