|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an oxymoron?
2. What does Seneca encourage in Letter VI?
3. In Letter XVI, what kind of life is said to have no direction?
4. Who does Seneca praise in Letter XI?
5. Who finances the celebration that is held at the time Letter XVII is written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Seneca's thoughts on fear and how to eliminate it from life?
2. How does Seneca explain how he partakes of the festivities of Saturnalia?
3. Lucilius writes Seneca that his melancholy mood remained unchanged no matter how far he traveled from home. How does Seneca explain Lucilius' complaint?
4. When does Seneca say a master should correct his slaves? How should slaves be corrected and why?
5. What is Seneca's theory on slavery?
6. What does Seneca say about developing friendships?
7. According to Seneca, how should a wise man deal with grief itself?
8. What is a sedan chair and why does Seneca use one occasionally?
9. What is Seneca's opinion of Vatia? How does it differ from public opinion?
10. What does Seneca say about the study of philosophy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss causation, applying the theories of Stoicism, Aristotle and Plato.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Seneca's retirement from Nero's court and his quest for apatheia.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways Seneca treated or dealt with his asthma.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)