|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
2. Who finances the celebration that is held at the time Letter XVII is written?
(b) The state.
(c) Local businesses.
(d) A traveling carnival.
3. Why does Seneca say he took the ride in Letter LV?
(a) Because of his asthma.
(b) He had no choice.
(c) It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
(d) For a little splurge on luxury.
4. According to Seneca, what must one seek between extremes in all matters?
5. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the characteristic of Lucilius' friend that Seneca does not hold against him?
2. In Letter XII, what does Seneca notice about one of his properties?
3. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
4. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
5. What kind of ailments does Seneca say are not as obvious as they worsen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Seneca's thoughts on the phrase "cheerful poverty?"
2. What is the difference between physical and spiritual ailments, according the Seneca's seasick boat trip example?
3. What is the difference between a Stoic and anyone else in regards to emotions?
4. According to Seneca, how much concern should a wise man have regarding his or others' physical beauty?
5. Why didn't the Stoics write a lot of quotable quotes for students to memorize? What is his opinion about quotable quotes?
6. According to Seneca, who should think about death and why?
7. What does Seneca say the unphilosophical life lacks and what does it have? Why is the life of a philosopher better?
8. How does Seneca explain how he partakes of the festivities of Saturnalia?
9. How does noise affect Seneca's studies and how does his explanation become a metaphor for the Stoic soul?
10. Discuss the necessity of and the problem with diversions, according to Seneca.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)