|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Seneca thank for sending him a book?
(a) His mother.
2. What does Seneca say cannot be learned only through reading?
3. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
(a) The emperor and no one else.
(b) Seneca's laws.
(c) No one.
(d) Society's conventions.
4. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
5. What does Seneca say is the worst noise of all?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does one perfect his own soul, according to Seneca?
2. How long does it take Seneca to read the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
3. Seneca says though one may suffer more or less in life, the suffering is surrounded by what on either side?
4. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
5. What does Seneca say in Letter XVI is of no interest to the wise man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Seneca's thoughts on the phrase "cheerful poverty?"
2. According to Seneca, who should think about death and why?
3. What is the difference between physical and spiritual ailments, according the Seneca's seasick boat trip example?
4. What does Seneca confide to Lucilius about his own vices?
5. When does Seneca say a master should correct his slaves? How should slaves be corrected and why?
6. Discuss the necessity of and the problem with diversions, according to Seneca.
7. As Seneca comforts Lucilius at the loss of his friend, he says grief has a purpose. What is that purpose and how should a wise Stoic man deal with the death of a friend?
8. According to Seneca, how should a wise man deal with grief itself?
9. How does Seneca explain how he partakes of the festivities of Saturnalia?
10. What does Seneca say about developing friendships?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)