|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
(a) Dark desires.
(c) Deep inside.
2. According to Letter XLI, what lives in each man's soul?
(b) Dark thoughts.
(d) Divine power.
3. Which of Lucilius' friends dies?
4. How did Seneca's ancestors treat their slaves?
(a) With mental torture.
(b) With physical abuse.
(d) With respect.
5. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who spends hours quibbling over meaningless logical puzzles, according to Seneca?
2. What are Seneca's comments about the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
3. Why does Seneca say he took the ride in Letter LV?
4. In Letter XII, what does Seneca notice about one of his properties?
5. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Seneca's opinion of Vatia? How does it differ from public opinion?
2. What is Seneca's thoughts on the phrase "cheerful poverty?"
3. According to Seneca, from where where does one's soul originate?
4. Lucilius writes Seneca that his melancholy mood remained unchanged no matter how far he traveled from home. How does Seneca explain Lucilius' complaint?
5. What does Seneca confide to Lucilius about his own vices?
6. What is the appeal of a slow death for Stoics? What does Seneca believe happens after death?
7. Explain the importance to occasional fasting according to Seneca.
8. Why didn't the Stoics write a lot of quotable quotes for students to memorize? What is his opinion about quotable quotes?
9. What is the difference between physical and spiritual ailments, according the Seneca's seasick boat trip example?
10. According to Seneca, how should a wise man deal with grief itself?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)