|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
(a) Seneca's physical health.
(b) Epicurius' mental health.
(c) Lucilius' fortune.
(d) Euripides overall health.
2. Who, according to Seneca, retired out of fear of being persecuted by the Emperor?
3. How long does it take Seneca to read the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
(a) One month.
(b) One sitting.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
4. Why does Seneca say he took the ride in Letter LV?
(a) It was a once in a lifetime opportunity.
(b) For a little splurge on luxury.
(c) Because of his asthma.
(d) He had no choice.
5. What does Lucilius ask Seneca to include in his letters?
(a) Investment information.
(b) An autograph.
(c) A poem to read to his friend.
(d) Stoic aphorisms.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say is the worst noise of all?
2. What are Seneca's comments about the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
3. What does Seneca say in Letter XVI is of no interest to the wise man?
4. What has earned Seneca fame and respect among the citizens of Rome?
5. How should an owner be seen by his slaves, according to Seneca?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the importance to occasional fasting according to Seneca.
2. What is the appeal of a slow death for Stoics? What does Seneca believe happens after death?
3. How does Seneca explain how he partakes of the festivities of Saturnalia?
4. What does Seneca confide to Lucilius about his own vices?
5. Discuss the necessity of and the problem with diversions, according to Seneca.
6. What does Seneca say about the study of philosophy?
7. What is Seneca's opinion of Vatia? How does it differ from public opinion?
8. What is the difference between a Stoic and anyone else in regards to emotions?
9. What does Seneca say the unphilosophical life lacks and what does it have? Why is the life of a philosopher better?
10. What does Seneca say about developing friendships?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)