|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CXIV, CXXII, and CXXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose first instinct is it to incorporate wisdom into his life and actions?
(a) The philosopher.
(b) The teacher.
(c) The literary scholar.
(d) The priest.
2. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars should do with philosophical theories?
(a) Compare them to other theories.
(b) Interpret them correctly.
(c) Write fiction about them that will appeal to the masses.
(d) Apply them to their own lives.
3. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
4. What becomes of people who live a quiet, private life which incites neither anger nor envy?
(a) They accomplish nothing.
(b) They are bored.
(c) They are stoned.
(d) They remain safe.
5. Whose estate does Seneca ride past in Letter LV?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Scipio volunteer to do?
2. What is a syllogism?
3. What kind of ailments does Seneca say become more obvious as they worsen?
4. How long does it take Seneca to read the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
5. Who especially does Seneca consider when he makes his move to the country?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)