|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CXIV, CXXII, and CXXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
(a) Books, glasses, jewelry.
(b) Wealth, fine clothing and hygiene.
(c) A mansion, slaves, and orgies.
(d) Wine, big home, health.
2. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars should do with philosophical theories?
(a) Apply them to their own lives.
(b) Compare them to other theories.
(c) Write fiction about them that will appeal to the masses.
(d) Interpret them correctly.
3. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
(d) A politician.
4. At what time does Seneca say he has already experienced death?
(a) Once in a brawl when he was younger.
(b) Before he was born.
(c) During meditation.
(d) When doing yoga.
5. While looking for witty entertainment, what does Seneca stumble upon?
(a) A gladiator battle.
(b) A poetry reading.
(c) A musical production.
(d) A comedian telling jokes.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Letter XII, what does Seneca notice about one of his properties?
2. According to Seneca, what do big crowds equal?
3. What is the specific distraction Seneca discusses in Letter XL?
4. Who says there are four causes?
5. In Letter XII, what does Seneca's property remind him?
This section contains 268 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)