|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CXIV, CXXII, and CXXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Letter LXXXVIII, how important is the knowledge of the liberal arts to Stoicism?
(a) More important than even religion.
(b) Vital - can't understand Stoicism without a full liberal arts background.
(c) Not at all.
(d) Very important.
2. What does Lucilius ask Seneca to include in his letters?
(a) Stoic aphorisms.
(b) An autograph.
(c) Investment information.
(d) A poem to read to his friend.
3. Who says there are five causes?
4. According to Seneca, what do people who write to entertain lack?
(a) Time to study.
(b) Good penmanship.
5. What does Seneca say about a man's writing style?
(a) It is more important than philosophy.
(b) It matters much less than his work ethic.
(c) It is indicative of his character.
(d) It matters little.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Seneca, what often brings the most unusual tragedies?
2. Which city does Seneca say is so filled with wicked people that it could be a threat to even a wise man's soul?
3. Who is the author of all that happens in the world, according to Seneca?
4. According to Seneca, who will spend his time either alone or in the company of those he knows are capable of improving him?
5. According to Stoic thought, what is the formless substance with "unlimited potential?"
This section contains 240 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)