|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say in Letter XVI is of no interest to the wise man?
(a) Investing in gold.
(b) Playing a role in public service.
(c) Having a political seat of power.
(d) Having more than the basic needs.
2. Who does Posidinus credit for the invention for various technological innovations?
3. According to Seneca, if one begins taking lessons other than philosophy, what happens?
(a) His life will be governed by that subject rather than philosophy.
(b) He diversifies his talents.
(c) He becomes a well-rounded man.
(d) He becomes known as a Renaissance Man.
4. Whose first instinct is it to incorporate wisdom into his life and actions?
(a) The teacher.
(b) The philosopher.
(c) The priest.
(d) The literary scholar.
5. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars do with philosophical theories?
(a) Read them over and over.
(b) Ruin them by writing them down incorrectly.
(c) Help spread them to the masses.
(d) Dissect the words without garnering the meaning.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says there are five causes?
2. How does Seneca say all people -- young and old alike -- should live each day?
3. What is a syllogism?
4. According to Seneca, who will spend his time either alone or in the company of those he knows are capable of improving him?
5. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)