|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
2. According to Seneca in Letter LXXXVIII, what should man not strive to become?
(a) A pleasant man.
(b) A good man.
(c) A learned man.
(d) A religious man.
3. What does Seneca give advice about coping with in Letter LXXVIII?
(b) Religious faith.
4. How does one perfect his own soul, according to Seneca?
(a) By living according to his rational nature.
(b) By having faith in no more than three gods.
(c) By writing letters daily.
(d) By getting plenty of sleep.
5. Who ran away in Letter CVII that made Lucilius grieve?
(a) His dog.
(b) His wife and kids.
(c) Some of his slaves.
(d) His oldest daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
2. What do the friends Seneca talks about in Letter LXV compare to concepts by Aristotle and Plato?
3. What is caused by the flaunting of one's possessions?
4. In Letter XII, what does Seneca's property remind him?
5. Who wrote the Aeneid?
This section contains 245 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)