|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seneca states that a virtuous man is not concerned with the loss of a friend because:
(a) He never shares.
(b) He can easily replace the friend.
(c) He never gets emotionally attached.
(d) He didn't have any friends anyway.
2. What does Seneca encourage in Letter VI?
(a) Living in Rome.
(b) Lucilius come to live with him.
(c) Suicide among the elderly.
(d) Contributions to poor slaves.
3. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
4. What do people who attend the celebration discussed in Letter XVII do?
(a) Praise Seneca.
(b) Feast and get drunk.
(c) Watch acrobats and clowns.
(d) Discuss town issues.
5. What kind of people does Seneca warn Lucilius to steer clear of in Letter XLVIII?
(a) Wealthy rulers.
(b) Drunken people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say prepares the mind for philosophy?
2. What does Seneca say about the Stoic troubled by no external concerns?
3. Who says in Chapter XVII that wise men should avoid the festival that is being celebrated?
4. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
5. What is an example of unrehearsed communication?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)