|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
(a) Because old and wise go together.
(b) A wise man doesn't fear death.
(c) Because he knows he will go to heaven.
(d) Because his mind is too far gone to be scared.
2. Which city does Seneca say is so filled with wicked people that it could be a threat to even a wise man's soul?
3. How can a person be prepared for any tragedy that might happen?
(a) Plan every last detail so you have a firm schedule.
(b) Calm events = calm people.
(c) Imagine all the situations, then you won't be surprised.
(d) Don't serve wine at any event.
4. In Letter XII, what does Seneca notice about one of his properties?
(a) It is not rented.
(b) The tenants changed it without permission.
(c) It has burned down.
(d) It is delapidated.
5. Who does Seneca point out (in Letter CIV) had a wife and children who constantly nagged him?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that hope is the cause of fear?
2. According to Seneca, who doesn't care if he is rich or poor?
3. How long does it take Seneca to read the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
4. According to Seneca, what should a person use to guide his life?
5. What virtue does Seneca say does not perish or disappoint?
This section contains 248 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)