|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LXXXIII, LXXXVI, and LXXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the characteristic of Lucilius' friend that Seneca does not hold against him?
(a) He drinks too much.
(b) He blushes.
(c) He is overweight.
(d) He speaks too quickly.
2. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
3. Why does Seneca praise suicide?
(a) To cut back on medical needs of the community.
(b) He likes to challenge the legal system.
(c) It is active, not passive.
(d) He is tired of being sick.
4. Who does Seneca thank for sending him a book?
(a) His mother.
5. What kind of ailments does Seneca say are not as obvious as they worsen?
(b) Breathing-related ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is praised for his virtue and dedication to studies in Letter II?
2. What holiday is celebrated at the time Letter XVII is written?
3. What does Seneca say is the worst noise of all?
4. What does Seneca say cannot be learned only through reading?
5. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
This section contains 195 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)