|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LIII, LIV, LV, LVI, and LXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Seneca's comments about the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
(a) He likes the gift, but not its contents.
(b) None - he wants to read it again.
(c) He wholeheartedly agrees with the entire contents of the book.
(d) He disagrees with the entire contents of the book.
2. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
(a) It ends earlier.
(b) It is fulfilled with recreation.
(c) It causes much sickness.
(d) It becomes meaningless and not worth living.
3. Who does Seneca praise in Letter XI?
(a) Lucilius' father.
(b) Lucilius' ancestors.
(c) Lucilius himself.
(d) Lucilius' friend.
4. What does Seneca recount taking a ride on in Letter LV?
(a) A horse.
(b) A large unnamed creature.
(c) A chariot.
(d) His sedan chair.
5. Seneca says though one may suffer more or less in life, the suffering is surrounded by what on either side?
(a) Deep tranquility.
(b) Somewhat peaceful rest.
(d) Unknown pain.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say is the worst noise of all?
2. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
3. How did Seneca's ancestors treat their slaves?
4. What does Seneca recommend avoiding in Letter VII?
5. According to Letter XLI, what lives in each man's soul?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)