|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LIII, LIV, LV, LVI, and LXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
(a) It causes much sickness.
(b) It ends earlier.
(c) It becomes meaningless and not worth living.
(d) It is fulfilled with recreation.
2. Why do people become slaves, according to Seneca?
(a) It is punishment for a crime.
(b) It is by their fortune.
(c) It is by their merit.
(d) It is their choice.
3. What does Seneca recount taking a ride on in Letter LV?
(a) A chariot.
(b) A horse.
(c) His sedan chair.
(d) A large unnamed creature.
4. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
(c) A politician.
5. What kind of ailments does Seneca say are not as obvious as they worsen?
(a) Breathing-related ones.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does noise affect Seneca's ability to study?
2. What does Seneca recommend avoiding in Letter VII?
3. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
4. What does Seneca encourage in Letter VI?
5. According to Seneca, what are people who are easily disturbed by noises lacking?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)