|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LIII, LIV, LV, LVI, and LXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of studies does Letter XII use as an example?
(a) Drama studies.
(b) Inner studies of oneself.
(c) Singing studies.
(d) Religious studies.
2. Which philosopher believes the idea of "cheerful poverty" is absurd?
3. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
(a) Lucilius' fortune.
(b) Epicurius' mental health.
(c) Euripides overall health.
(d) Seneca's physical health.
4. Who says that hope is the cause of fear?
5. What does Seneca say in Letter XVI is of no interest to the wise man?
(a) Having a political seat of power.
(b) Investing in gold.
(c) Having more than the basic needs.
(d) Playing a role in public service.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Seneca say all people -- young and old alike -- should live each day?
2. What is an example of unrehearsed communication?
3. What kind of ailments does Seneca say become more obvious as they worsen?
4. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
5. In what kind of atmosphere does Seneca say in Lesson VLI that he prefers to study?
This section contains 215 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)