|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LIII, LIV, LV, LVI, and LXIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
(a) That they will never have to work again.
(b) That the slaves will care for their families once the owner dies.
(c) That their slaves must love and respect them.
(d) That it is to their credit that they are the slave-owners.
2. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
3. In Letter XVI, what kind of life is said to have no direction?
(b) Hard working.
4. What has earned Seneca fame and respect among the citizens of Rome?
(a) His role as emperor.
(b) The sexually explicit plays he wrote.
(c) Years of public service.
(d) His inherited wealth.
5. Which philosopher believes the idea of "cheerful poverty" is absurd?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do people become slaves, according to Seneca?
2. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
3. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
4. What is the characteristic of Lucilius' friend that Seneca does not hold against him?
5. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)