|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XI, XII, XV, XVI, XVIII, XXVI, XXVII, and XXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca encourage in Letter VI?
(a) Suicide among the elderly.
(b) Lucilius come to live with him.
(c) Contributions to poor slaves.
(d) Living in Rome.
2. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
(a) Lucilius' fortune.
(b) Seneca's physical health.
(c) Euripides overall health.
(d) Epicurius' mental health.
3. What purpose does fasting serve, according to Seneca?
(a) To prove a point to the public.
(b) To shed some excess pounds.
(c) To be able to drink more.
(d) To ward off gluttony.
4. While looking for witty entertainment, what does Seneca stumble upon?
(a) A poetry reading.
(b) A gladiator battle.
(c) A musical production.
(d) A comedian telling jokes.
5. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
2. What, according to Seneca, generally presents more opportunity to be tempted away from virtuous living?
3. What is there little value in if one cannot share it with friends, according to Seneca?
4. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
5. What type of studies does Letter XII use as an example?
This section contains 231 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)