|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XI, XII, XV, XVI, XVIII, XXVI, XXVII, and XXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
2. What has earned Seneca fame and respect among the citizens of Rome?
(a) The sexually explicit plays he wrote.
(b) His role as emperor.
(c) His inherited wealth.
(d) Years of public service.
3. What is an oxymoron?
(a) A theory related to oxygen.
(b) A combination of contradictory words or phrases.
(c) Someone who does not practice virtue at all.
(d) Someone who does not understand Oxystoicism.
4. What is there little value in if one cannot share it with friends, according to Seneca?
(c) Gladiator battles.
5. What, according to Seneca, generally presents more opportunity to be tempted away from virtuous living?
(a) Mass crowds.
(b) Public hangings.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
2. Which philosopher believes the idea of "cheerful poverty" is absurd?
3. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
4. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
5. According to Seneca, who doesn't care if he is rich or poor?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)