|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say prepares the mind for philosophy?
(b) Fine arts.
(c) Liberal arts.
2. What is duty that Seneca states all men are bound to eventually carry out?
(b) Public service.
(d) Civic responsiblity.
3. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
4. What does Seneca say about slaves?
(a) They are people too.
(b) Not to pity them.
(c) Use them for the hardest work.
(d) Don't get too close to them emotionally.
5. What phrase best sums up Letter XCI?
(a) The early bird catches the worm.
(b) Expect the unexpected.
(c) If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
(d) Never look back.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to his criticism in Letter CVIII, what does Seneca say literary scholars do with philosophical theories?
2. How does Seneca say slaves should be corrected?
3. Who wrote the Aeneid?
4. What does Seneca say that many people find attractive for the wrong reasons?
5. Seneca states that a virtuous man is not concerned with the loss of a friend because:
This section contains 232 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)