|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
(a) Because he knows he will go to heaven.
(b) Because his mind is too far gone to be scared.
(c) A wise man doesn't fear death.
(d) Because old and wise go together.
2. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
(a) A wise man.
(b) A general.
(c) A public servant.
(d) A priest.
3. In Letter VII, what does Lucilius accuse Seneca of being?
(a) A corrupt politician.
(b) A hypocrite.
(c) A loser.
(d) An illegitimate child.
4. For Stoics, what are two basic elements found in any object?
(a) Matter and cause.
(b) Weight and size.
(c) Sound and fury.
(d) Mass and reason.
5. Why does Seneca move to the country?
(a) To get out of the greedy city of Croton.
(b) To be farther from the corruptness of Rome.
(c) To be closer to Lucilius.
(d) For the health benefits of fresh air.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Seneca when he writes Letter LXXXVI?
2. According to Seneca, who doesn't care if he is rich or poor?
3. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
4. In Letter XII, what does Seneca notice about one of his properties?
5. What is the characteristic of Lucilius' friend that Seneca does not hold against him?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)