|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters CIV, CV, CVII, and CVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
(a) Seneca's laws.
(b) No one.
(c) Society's conventions.
(d) The emperor and no one else.
2. What affects Seneca's exercise time according to Letter LXXXIII?
(a) His old age.
(b) The amount of time he studies.
(c) His lack of time.
(d) His lack of interest.
3. What happens to Seneca's work ethic and studies once he moves to the country?
(a) They improve.
(b) He studies less, but says it really isn't distraction since he is focusing on nature.
(c) He stops all together.
(d) He finds himself distracted by nature.
4. Who is Scipio?
(a) Another Roman philosopher.
(b) A renowned Roman general.
(c) His student.
(d) Seneca's arch enemy.
5. Who is the author of all that happens in the world, according to Seneca?
(b) Zeus and Jupiter.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Seneca, what is death?
2. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
3. Who wrote the "Aeneid?"
4. Who says in Chapter XVII that wise men should avoid the festival that is being celebrated?
5. What creates certain habits of study and thought which are actually useful?
This section contains 272 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)