|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XXXIII, XXXVIII, XL, XLI, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Seneca's comments about the book he mentions in Letter XLVI?
(a) He likes the gift, but not its contents.
(b) He wholeheartedly agrees with the entire contents of the book.
(c) None - he wants to read it again.
(d) He disagrees with the entire contents of the book.
2. How does one perfect his own soul, according to Seneca?
(a) By having faith in no more than three gods.
(b) By living according to his rational nature.
(c) By writing letters daily.
(d) By getting plenty of sleep.
3. What has suffered a great deal between Letters XII and XXVII?
(a) Lucilius' fortune.
(b) Epicurius' mental health.
(c) Euripides overall health.
(d) Seneca's physical health.
4. Which philosopher does Seneca quote in Letter II despite the fact that he does not particularly like him?
5. What virtue does Seneca say does not perish or disappoint?
Short Answer Questions
1. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
2. What, according to Seneca, generally presents more opportunity to be tempted away from virtuous living?
3. What does Lucilius ask Seneca to include in his letters?
4. In a large group of people, how might their vices seem, according to Seneca?
5. Who advises that one ought to imagine being watched by some great, virtuous figure at all times in order to check one's own behavior?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)