|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XXXIII, XXXVIII, XL, XLI, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
(a) It becomes meaningless and not worth living.
(b) It is fulfilled with recreation.
(c) It causes much sickness.
(d) It ends earlier.
2. Who does Seneca thank for sending him a book?
(d) His mother.
3. What does Seneca recommend avoiding in Letter VII?
(a) People without shoes.
(b) Religious zealots.
(c) The masses.
4. What does Seneca say about slaves?
(a) They are people too.
(b) Don't get too close to them emotionally.
(c) Not to pity them.
(d) Use them for the hardest work.
5. Seneca states that a virtuous man is not concerned with the loss of a friend because:
(a) He can easily replace the friend.
(b) He never gets emotionally attached.
(c) He never shares.
(d) He didn't have any friends anyway.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Seneca say slaves should be corrected?
2. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
3. How does Seneca say a wise man should act toward the festival celebrated in Letter XVII?
4. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
5. Who spends hours quibbling over meaningless logical puzzles, according to Seneca?
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)