|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XXXIII, XXXVIII, XL, XLI, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests the correspondence between Seneca and his student should increase?
(b) Marcus Aurelius.
2. According to Seneca, what is man's only pride?
(a) His body.
(b) His face.
(c) His soul.
(d) His mind.
3. What is an example of unrehearsed communication?
(b) Letter writing.
(c) Public oratory.
(d) A speech.
4. What type of studies does Letter XII use as an example?
(a) Religious studies.
(b) Inner studies of oneself.
(c) Drama studies.
(d) Singing studies.
5. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
(a) That their slaves must love and respect them.
(b) That they will never have to work again.
(c) That it is to their credit that they are the slave-owners.
(d) That the slaves will care for their families once the owner dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has earned Seneca fame and respect among the citizens of Rome?
2. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
3. Who advises that one ought to imagine being watched by some great, virtuous figure at all times in order to check one's own behavior?
4. What does Seneca say happens to life when one focuses too much on trivial and fleeting activities?
5. What does Seneca recommend avoiding in Letter VII?
This section contains 236 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)