|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XXXIII, XXXVIII, XL, XLI, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Seneca in Letter XXXIII, what does Stoic writing generally lack?
(b) Grammatical errors.
(c) Quotable quotes.
(d) Use of Latin.
2. How does one perfect his own soul, according to Seneca?
(a) By having faith in no more than three gods.
(b) By living according to his rational nature.
(c) By writing letters daily.
(d) By getting plenty of sleep.
3. How did Seneca's ancestors treat their slaves?
(a) With mental torture.
(b) With physical abuse.
(c) With respect.
4. How does Seneca say all people -- young and old alike -- should live each day?
(a) As if it is their last.
(b) Without much physical activity or worry.
(d) As if it is their first.
5. Who, according to Seneca, is deliberate and prepared?
(a) A wise man.
(b) A general.
(c) A public servant.
(d) A priest.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Seneca, if one begins taking lessons other than philosophy, what happens?
2. What is the specific distraction Seneca discusses in Letter XL?
3. What has earned Seneca fame and respect among the citizens of Rome?
4. What does Seneca say about slaves?
5. What does Seneca say many slave-owners foolishly think?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)