|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters XXXIII, XXXVIII, XL, XLI, XLVI, XLVII, XLVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Seneca, what must one seek between extremes in all matters?
2. Who says that hope is the cause of fear?
3. Which word is the best meaning of apatheia?
4. What holiday is celebrated at the time Letter XVII is written?
(a) Cinco de Mayo.
(b) Festival of Bacchus.
(c) Ides of March.
5. According to Seneca, what creates anxiety?
(a) Having to worry about finances.
(b) Demanding family members.
(c) Having to find a stable job.
(d) Striving to fulfill one's ever-expanding desires.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Seneca thank for sending him a book?
2. Which philosopher does Seneca quote in Letter II despite the fact that he does not particularly like him?
3. How does one perfect his own soul, according to Seneca?
4. Which philosopher believes the idea of "cheerful poverty" is absurd?
5. Seneca states that a virtuous man is not concerned with the loss of a friend because:
This section contains 209 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)