|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LXV, LXXVII, and LXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
(a) No one.
(b) Seneca's laws.
(c) The emperor and no one else.
(d) Society's conventions.
2. What does Seneca encourage in Letter VI?
(a) Lucilius come to live with him.
(b) Living in Rome.
(c) Contributions to poor slaves.
(d) Suicide among the elderly.
3. According to Seneca, what is death?
(a) A doorway into a wonderful after life.
(b) The gateway to Heaven and an opportunity to meet the gods.
(c) An unconscious state of non-existence or a better state than life.
(d) Nothing but an unconscious state of non-existence.
4. According to Letter XLI, where is the soul from?
(b) Dark desires.
(c) Deep inside.
5. According to Letter LXV, how do friends get Seneca to stop reading and writing while he is sick?
(a) By entertaining him with a short play.
(b) By asking him to discuss a philosophical question.
(c) By bringing in a card game.
(d) By taking him to a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca name as never too great for a man to endure, thanks to nature's way of minimizing them?
2. Who says that excessive anger is a threat to one's sanity?
3. How does Seneca say all people -- young and old alike -- should live each day?
4. What specific things might a philosopher lack that could tarnish philosophy's reputation among outsiders?
5. What kind of people does Seneca warn Lucilius to steer clear of in Letter XLVIII?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)