|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LXV, LXXVII, and LXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is there little value in if one cannot share it with friends, according to Seneca?
(d) Gladiator battles.
2. How should an owner be seen by his slaves, according to Seneca?
(a) With no emotion.
3. At what time does Seneca say he has already experienced death?
(a) Once in a brawl when he was younger.
(b) When doing yoga.
(c) Before he was born.
(d) During meditation.
4. According to Letter LXV, how do friends get Seneca to stop reading and writing while he is sick?
(a) By taking him to a hospital.
(b) By asking him to discuss a philosophical question.
(c) By bringing in a card game.
(d) By entertaining him with a short play.
5. Why does Seneca praise suicide?
(a) It is active, not passive.
(b) To cut back on medical needs of the community.
(c) He likes to challenge the legal system.
(d) He is tired of being sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Seneca say about the Stoic troubled by no external concerns?
2. Seneca says though one may suffer more or less in life, the suffering is surrounded by what on either side?
3. Seneca says that a philosopher must distinguish himself from others with virtue, but what must the philosopher obey when doing so?
4. What do people who attend the celebration discussed in Letter XVII do?
5. Who spends hours quibbling over meaningless logical puzzles, according to Seneca?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)