|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LXV, LXXVII, and LXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Seneca, what does an inordinate attachment to wealth or public opinion make a man?
(c) A politician.
2. What do people who attend the celebration discussed in Letter XVII do?
(a) Praise Seneca.
(b) Feast and get drunk.
(c) Watch acrobats and clowns.
(d) Discuss town issues.
3. What tends to either not last very long or to at least have periods of subsidence?
(b) Studies of other philosophies.
(d) Severe pains.
4. According to Letter XL, what clue do people give as to whether they are organized or disorganized?
(a) A glance at one's kitchen.
(b) Their hairstyle and grooming.
(c) How fast or slow they talk.
(d) How their house or apartment looks.
5. According to Seneca, where are the sharpest pains?
(a) In the heart.
(b) In the eye/temple area because they are close to the brain.
(c) In the smallest area of the body.
(d) In the nose.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Seneca's ancestors treat their slaves?
2. Which philosopher has a positive theory about "cheerful poverty?"
3. What kind of people does Seneca warn Lucilius to steer clear of in Letter XLVIII?
4. What does Seneca give advice about coping with in Letter LXXVIII?
5. What is it that Seneca says no human being merits?
This section contains 223 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)