|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters LXV, LXXVII, and LXXVIII.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to Seneca, shouldn't old age frighten a wise man?
(a) A wise man doesn't fear death.
(b) Because old and wise go together.
(c) Because his mind is too far gone to be scared.
(d) Because he knows he will go to heaven.
2. For Stoics, what are two basic elements found in any object?
(a) Mass and reason.
(b) Matter and cause.
(c) Sound and fury.
(d) Weight and size.
3. In Letter XII, what does Seneca's property remind him?
(a) To rebuild closer to water.
(b) To be clearer in his next lease.
(c) That he is aging.
(d) That he needs to find new tenants.
4. Who spends hours quibbling over meaningless logical puzzles, according to Seneca?
(b) Many so-called philosophers.
(d) Seneca and Lucilius together.
5. What is the topic of Letter III?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which philosopher believes the idea of "cheerful poverty" is absurd?
2. Which of Lucilius' friends dies?
3. According to Seneca, what is man's only pride?
4. Who finances the celebration that is held at the time Letter XVII is written?
5. Who is praised for his virtue and dedication to studies in Letter II?
This section contains 205 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)