|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the woman Samuel Sawyer marries?
2. Where does Harriet stay at the home of the person in #80?
3. Why does Mrs. Norcom want Aunt Betty to be buried in the white cemetery?
4. What is Harriet's daughter's name?
5. Who is Harriet's friend who works for the person in #80?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet say about the extremely restrictive quarters where she hides at Gran's house?
2. How does John escape from slavery, and what does a neighbor say to Gran to comfort her regarding his absence?
3. What does Harriet hope Mr. Sawyer will do for her children and does it seem as if he is going to do it?
4. What is Mrs. Sawyer's plan for Harriet's daughter, Louisa?
5. When does Harriet begin writing to her Uncle Joseph?
6. What hope does Harriet have for her children when she decides to run away from Auburn?
7. Where does Harriet stay right after she escapes from Auburn, and how does she learn that there is a reward for her return?
8. Who is Harriet's Uncle Joseph?
9. Why does Mr. Sawyer take John to Washington, D.C.?
10. Why is Harriet moved from Mrs. Blount's house, and where does she go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances about prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Harriet's grandmother, Molly Horniblow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
The author showed more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)