|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aunt Sue Bent's daughter who has run away?
2. Who is Dr. Norcom's son to whom Dr. Norcom gives Harriet?
3. Who is the maid at Widow Blount's house who becomes nosy and tries to find Harriet?
4. How does Harriet spend a lot of her time doing in her hiding place in Gran's house?
5. What will happen to Harriet if she refuses Dr. Norcom's offer in #66?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet hide in the home of Mrs. Martha Blount and how long does she stay there?
2. What does Harriet write to Uncle Joseph about Dr. Norcom's proposition to her?
3. When does Harriet begin writing to her Uncle Joseph?
4. What is the reason Harriet comes out of her hiding place after several years?
5. What hope does Harriet have for her children when she decides to run away from Auburn?
6. How does John escape from slavery, and what does a neighbor say to Gran to comfort her regarding his absence?
7. What does Harriet hope Mr. Sawyer will do for her children and does it seem as if he is going to do it?
8. Where does Harriet stay right after she escapes from Auburn, and how does she learn that there is a reward for her return?
9. Who is Uncle Stephen and what is presumed about him?
10. What does Harriet see that lets her know that Dr. Norcom is still searching for her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the rampant racial bigotry in the South in the mid-19th century. What were some of the spoken and unspoken rules of behavior that people like Harriet and her family had to endure? How did bigotry ruin families and communities? What are some of the scars--physical and emotional--resulting from racial prejudice during this period?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Letters From a Slave Girl". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Mary E. Lyons is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony, and briefly describe them and identify the technique which they embody.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)