|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Harriet dressed when she leaves Widow Blount's house?
2. Why will Louisa be sent to Brooklyn?
3. Who is Joseph?
4. How much is the reward offered by Dr. Norcom for Harriet's return?
5. What is presumed about Uncle Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does John tell Gran he is going a year after his escape?
2. Where does Harriet stay right after she escapes from Auburn, and how does she learn that there is a reward for her return?
3. How does John escape from slavery, and what does a neighbor say to Gran to comfort her regarding his absence?
4. Why does Harriet hide in the home of Mrs. Martha Blount and how long does she stay there?
5. What does Harriet write to Uncle Joseph about Dr. Norcom's proposition to her?
6. Why does Mr. Sawyer take John to Washington, D.C.?
7. What hope does Harriet have for her children when she decides to run away from Auburn?
8. Who is Uncle Stephen and what is presumed about him?
9. Why are John, Harriet's children and her Aunt Betty arrested, and who eventually buys them?
10. What does Harriet say about the extremely restrictive quarters where she hides at Gran's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Samuel Sawyer. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Samuel Sawyer's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of struggle. Identify at least two instances about struggle in the book and then cite examples to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Harriet's grandmother, Molly Horniblow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)