|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
2. What does Harriet do for the first time at Hayes plantation?
3. What do the white people find when they search Gran's house?
4. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
5. How much does the person in #30 pay for Gran?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
2. What is the premise of "Letters From a Slave Girl"?
3. What impact does the slave uprising have on Edenton?
4. What is found in Gran's house during the slave uprising, and when does the uprising calm down?
5. What concern does Harriet express about John in a letter to her deceased father?
6. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
7. Why has R moved to Savannah?
8. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
9. What does Harriet hope will happen by becoming Samuel Sawyer's lover, and what actually happens when she becomes pregnant?
10. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Harriet learns from Gran? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Harriet always recall about her experiences during her time with her grandmother?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances about prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Racial prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of prejudice in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)