|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet name her son?
2. Where does Dr. Norcom plan to have Harriet stay so he can have her all to himself?
3. How much does the person in #30 pay for Gran?
4. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
5. What does Harriet do for the first time at Hayes plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
2. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
3. What prevents Harriet from marrying R?
4. What does Harriet tell her deceased mother about Margaret Horniblow in her first letter?
5. What does Harriet hope that her mother's childhood relationship with Margaret will mean for Harriet herself?
6. Why has R moved to Savannah?
7. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
8. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
9. What arrangements does Dr. Norcom devise in attempts to make Harriet have sex with him?
10. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Letters From a Slave Girl"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Samuel Sawyer. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Samuel Sawyer's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Dr. Norcom. What is his role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Dr. Norcom's character in the novel?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)