|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the man who led the slave uprising in August of 1831?
2. In August of 1831, there is a ___________________ uprising.
3. Who is the physician who attends to Harriet's owner?
4. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
5. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
2. What is the premise of "Letters From a Slave Girl"?
3. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
4. What impact does the slave uprising have on Edenton?
5. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
6. What makes life at the Norcom house a little easier to bear for Harriet?
7. What does Harriet hope will happen by becoming Samuel Sawyer's lover, and what actually happens when she becomes pregnant?
8. What concern does Harriet express about John in a letter to her deceased father?
9. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
10. What arrangements does Dr. Norcom devise in attempts to make Harriet have sex with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several events of foreshadowing in "Letters From a Slave Girl". Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply "Letters From a Slave Girl"? What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of black women in the American South in the mid-19th century. What precedents did these women feel compelled to follow? What restrictions did they have? How did their lives compare to black women living in the North during the same time period?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)