|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harriet's father's skill?
2. What type of cure does the doctor use on Harriet's owner?
3. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
4. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
5. What was Harriet's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
2. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
3. What prevents Harriet from marrying R?
4. Who does Gran tell Harriet to talk to about her troubles with Dr. Norcom, and what is this person's suggestion for Harriet?
5. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
6. What does Harriet hope that her mother's childhood relationship with Margaret will mean for Harriet herself?
7. What does Harriet hope will happen by becoming Samuel Sawyer's lover, and what actually happens when she becomes pregnant?
8. At the time that Harriet meets R, who else is taking an uncomfortable interest in Harriet?
9. Why is Harriet's second child christened in the white church instead of the black church?
10. What impact does the slave uprising have on Edenton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the greatest lesson Harriet learns from Gran? Is it that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Harriet always recall about her experiences during her time with her grandmother?
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief character study of Louisa. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 3
Create a brief character study of Harriet's grandmother, Molly Horniblow. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)