|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Gran give Harriet's ticket to stow away on the ship headed north?
2. Why will Louisa be sent to Brooklyn?
(a) To live with Samuel's cousin.
(b) To be a maid to Samuel's sister.
(c) To learn a trade.
(d) To accompany Lavinia on a shopping trip.
3. Which of the following does Harriet NOT make in preparation for the arrival of James and his new wife?
(c) Flower arrangements.
4. How old is Harriet when she begins writing to Joseph in 1835?
5. What can Harriet hear in her hiding place at Gran's house?
(a) Men playing cards.
(b) Men drinking liquor.
(c) A choir rehearsing.
(d) Her children playing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bites Harriet when she is hiding in the woods one night?
2. How long does Harriet stay at Widow Blount's house?
3. Where will Dr. Norcom's son live after his marriage?
4. How old is Harriet's daughter in 1835?
5. Why is Aunt Betty released from jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Uncle Stephen and what is presumed about him?
2. When does Harriet begin writing to her Uncle Joseph?
3. Where does Harriet stay right after she escapes from Auburn, and how does she learn that there is a reward for her return?
4. Why are John, Harriet's children and her Aunt Betty arrested, and who eventually buys them?
5. What is Mrs. Sawyer's plan for Harriet's daughter, Louisa?
6. Who is Harriet's Uncle Joseph?
7. Why do Harriet's children remain with her grandmother when she goes to Auburn?
8. What hope does Harriet have for her children when she decides to run away from Auburn?
9. What does Harriet see that lets her know that Dr. Norcom is still searching for her?
10. How does the cholera and smallpox epidemic of 1836-1837 impact Harriet and her family?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)