|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gran plan to purchase with the money she makes by cooking?
(a) New dishes.
(b) Freedom for Joseph and Louisa.
(c) Kitchen curtains.
(d) A new stove.
2. What is presumed about Uncle Stephen?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is a derelict.
(c) He is a thief.
(d) He is a runaway.
3. Why does Mrs. Norcom want Aunt Betty to be buried in the white cemetery?
(a) Because Aunt Betty meant so much to the Norcom family.
(b) So her slave can be buried at the foot of her own grave.
(c) Because there are no available plots in the black cemetery.
(d) Because it has better security.
4. What does Harriet have sent to Dr. Norcom from Canada?
(a) A letter.
(b) Maple syrup.
(c) Cheddar cheese.
(d) A book.
5. Who is the maid at Widow Blount's house who becomes nosy and tries to find Harriet?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the girl who may have caught sight of Harriet in Gran's house?
2. What do Dr. Norcom and James do when they realize Harriet is missing?
3. By what nickname does Harriet call her daughter?
4. What is the worst menace Harriet and the others face while waiting in the swamp?
5. How many years will John be gone on a whaling ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the reason Harriet comes out of her hiding place after several years?
2. What does Harriet see that lets her know that Dr. Norcom is still searching for her?
3. What does Harriet write to Uncle Joseph about Dr. Norcom's proposition to her?
4. Why does Mr. Sawyer take John to Washington, D.C.?
5. Why do Harriet's children remain with her grandmother when she goes to Auburn?
6. What hope does Harriet have for her children when she decides to run away from Auburn?
7. Why is Harriet moved from Mrs. Blount's house, and where does she go?
8. How does John escape from slavery, and what does a neighbor say to Gran to comfort her regarding his absence?
9. When does Harriet begin writing to her Uncle Joseph?
10. Where does John tell Gran he is going a year after his escape?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)