|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
2. What does Dr. Norcom threaten to do if Harriet tells anyone about his advances toward her?
(a) Sell her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Whip her.
(d) Rape her.
3. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
(a) October 28, 1876
(b) November 11, 1831.
(c) June 25, 1829.
(d) September 15, 1798.
4. In what year does Harriet begin writing letters?
5. Why does Gran throw Harriet out of her house?
(a) Because she is pregnant.
(b) Because she tried to run away.
(c) Because she swore at her.
(d) Because she no longer goes to church.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Dr. Norcom?
2. What nickname does Harriet have for Dr. Norcom?
3. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
4. What is Harriet's father's skill?
5. Who is Harriet's owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of "Letters From a Slave Girl"?
2. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
3. What is found in Gran's house during the slave uprising, and when does the uprising calm down?
4. Why has R moved to Savannah?
5. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
6. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
7. What does Harriet hope that her mother's childhood relationship with Margaret will mean for Harriet herself?
8. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
9. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
10. What makes life at the Norcom house a little easier to bear for Harriet?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)