|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Dr. Norcom threaten to do if Harriet tells anyone about his advances toward her?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Whip her.
(c) Rape her.
(d) Sell her.
2. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
3. Harriet's father can buy his freedom for ______________ dollars.
4. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
5. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
(b) No more slave church services will be allowed.
(c) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
(d) No slaves can visit between plantations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Norcoms give Harriet and John for Christmas?
2. Harriet's owner gives her a book filled with ____________________.
3. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
4. Who is Aunt Betty's husband?
5. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
2. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
3. What does Harriet tell her deceased mother about Margaret Horniblow in her first letter?
4. What arrangements does Dr. Norcom devise in attempts to make Harriet have sex with him?
5. What impact does the slave uprising have on Edenton?
6. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
7. Why is Harriet's second child christened in the white church instead of the black church?
8. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
9. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
10. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)