|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
2. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
3. Why do Harriet and her baby live with Gran?
(a) Mrs. Norcom won't let them in the house.
(b) Harriet helps take care of Gran.
(c) Gran wants to keep men away from Harriet.
(d) Gran wants to take care of them.
4. What does Dr. Norcom do when he learns that Harriet has had another child?
(a) He demands that she give the child his last name.
(b) He sells her.
(c) He sells the child.
(d) He cuts her hair very short.
5. What is Harriet's father's skill?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Aunt Betty's husband?
2. What does Harriet enter into the book she receives from her owner?
3. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
4. Who does Gran ask for help when Harriet tells her about Dr. Norcom's advances?
5. What was Harriet's mother's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Harriet's second child christened in the white church instead of the black church?
2. Who does Gran tell Harriet to talk to about her troubles with Dr. Norcom, and what is this person's suggestion for Harriet?
3. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
4. What concern does Harriet express about John in a letter to her deceased father?
5. What prevents Harriet from marrying R?
6. What does Harriet tell her deceased mother about Margaret Horniblow in her first letter?
7. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
8. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
9. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
10. What does Harriet hope that her mother's childhood relationship with Margaret will mean for Harriet herself?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)