|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What had Miss Elizabeth bought with the $300 she borrowed from Gran?
(a) A slave girl.
(b) A silver candelabra.
(c) An emerald necklace.
(d) Woolen fabrics.
2. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
(b) No slaves can visit between plantations.
(c) No more slave church services will be allowed.
(d) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
3. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
4. Harriet seeks out her mother's friend, _______________, to talk to about her situation.
5. In August of 1831, there is a ___________________ uprising.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Doctor Norcum's wife?
2. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
3. Gran was given her freedom in Missus Elizabeth's will but does not leave because ______________________.
4. Who does Gran ask for help when Harriet tells her about Dr. Norcom's advances?
5. In January of 1833, Harriet writes to R. that local people have died of which disease?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Harriet's fate after the death of Margaret Horniblow?
2. What does Harriet tell her deceased mother about Margaret Horniblow in her first letter?
3. What makes life at the Norcom house a little easier to bear for Harriet?
4. At the time that Harriet meets R, who else is taking an uncomfortable interest in Harriet?
5. What does Harriet hope will happen by becoming Samuel Sawyer's lover, and what actually happens when she becomes pregnant?
6. Why has R moved to Savannah?
7. Why is Harriet's second child christened in the white church instead of the black church?
8. Which of Harriet's relatives are owned by Margaret's mother, Elizabeth, and what happens to them when Elizabeth dies?
9. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
10. What concern does Harriet express about John in a letter to her deceased father?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)