|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Harriet's mother's name?
2. Where does Dr. Norcom plan to have Harriet stay so he can have her all to himself?
(a) A suite at a hotel.
(b) A house in town.
(c) An old farmhouse.
(d) A cottage in the woods.
3. What nickname does Harriet have for Dr. Norcom?
(a) Pickle Face.
(b) Dr. Nevercom.
(c) The General.
(d) Dr. Devil.
4. In January of 1833, Harriet writes to R. that local people have died of which disease?
(b) Scarlet Fever.
5. Harriet's father can buy his freedom for ______________ dollars.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
2. Who is Doctor Norcum's wife?
3. Why do Harriet and her baby live with Gran?
4. What do the slaves call a wedding ceremony?
5. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Harriet hope that her mother's childhood relationship with Margaret will mean for Harriet herself?
2. Why is Harriet's second child christened in the white church instead of the black church?
3. What does Harriet name her baby boy, and why does she move out of the Norcom house?
4. What arrangements does Dr. Norcom devise in attempts to make Harriet have sex with him?
5. Who does Gran tell Harriet to talk to about her troubles with Dr. Norcom, and what is this person's suggestion for Harriet?
6. At the time that Harriet meets R, who else is taking an uncomfortable interest in Harriet?
7. What impact does the slave uprising have on Edenton?
8. Who is R, and where does Harriet meet him?
9. What makes life at the Norcom house a little easier to bear for Harriet?
10. What concern does Harriet express about John in a letter to her deceased father?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)