|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
(a) November 11, 1831.
(b) June 25, 1829.
(c) October 28, 1876
(d) September 15, 1798.
2. What do the white people find when they search Gran's house?
(a) Table linens made in Belgium.
(b) Letters from freed slaves in the North.
(c) Poems sent to Harriet by a friend.
(d) Whiskey bottles.
3. What does Dr. Norcom do when he learns that Harriet has had another child?
(a) He cuts her hair very short.
(b) He sells the child.
(c) He sells her.
(d) He demands that she give the child his last name.
4. What does Dr. Norcom threaten to do if Harriet tells anyone about his advances toward her?
(a) Whip her.
(b) Kill her.
(c) Sell her.
(d) Rape her.
5. Harriet tells R that _____________________ is one of the meanest slaveholders in the county.
(a) Jeremy Colton.
(b) Josiah Coffield.
(c) John Crabill.
(d) James Canfield.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of Gran's friends dies of Rheumatic Fever?
2. Where had R gone because he heard there was land to be had?
3. What possession of Harriet's does Mrs. Norcom forbid her to use?
4. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
5. To whom does Harriet address her first letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harriet not talk to her Gran about Dr. Norcom's advances?
2. What is the premise of "Letters From a Slave Girl"?
3. Who does Gran tell Harriet to talk to about her troubles with Dr. Norcom, and what is this person's suggestion for Harriet?
4. What arrangements does Dr. Norcom devise in attempts to make Harriet have sex with him?
5. Why has R moved to Savannah?
6. How does Molly Horniblow thwart Dr. Norcom's plans to buy her, and who eventually buys Molly and and Mark?
7. What does Harriet tell her deceased mother about Margaret Horniblow in her first letter?
8. What makes life at the Norcom house a little easier to bear for Harriet?
9. What is found in Gran's house during the slave uprising, and when does the uprising calm down?
10. What prevents Harriet from marrying R?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)