|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT someone whom Dr. Norcom has had arrested?
(b) Aunt Betty.
2. What does Harriet learn about Samuel Sawyer?
(a) He has moved to Europe.
(b) He has died.
(c) He is getting married.
(d) He is very ill.
3. Who is the girl who may have caught sight of Harriet in Gran's house?
4. What is a pattyroller?
(a) A pastry.
(b) A politician.
(c) A religious zealot.
(d) A slave hunter.
5. Where does Harriet stay for a few days after she runs away?
(a) Gran's house.
(b) A tavern.
(c) The woods.
(d) The house of a friend.
6. Why does Samuel Sawyer go to Washington?
(a) He was elected to Congress.
(b) He went to a family wedding.
(c) He wanted to buy some slaves.
(d) He started a new business.
7. Why is Aunt Betty released from jail?
(a) She is too ill.
(b) She has served her time.
(c) She is purchased.
(d) Mrs. Norcom needs her to cook.
8. What bites Harriet when she is hiding in the woods one night?
(a) A rabid dog.
(b) A snake.
(c) A spider.
9. Which of the following is NOT included in the meal given to Harriet by the person in #80?
(a) Pork stew.
(b) Buttered biscuits.
(c) Sweet corn.
(d) Peach cobbler.
10. What do Dr. Norcom and James do when they realize Harriet is missing?
(a) Send the dogs to track her scent.
(b) Search ships.
(c) Send out a posse.
(d) Set traps for her.
11. Which of the following does Harriet NOT make in preparation for the arrival of James and his new wife?
(b) Flower arrangements.
12. What is Harriet's daughter's name?
13. Why does Mrs. Norcom want Aunt Betty to be buried in the white cemetery?
(a) Because Aunt Betty meant so much to the Norcom family.
(b) Because there are no available plots in the black cemetery.
(c) So her slave can be buried at the foot of her own grave.
(d) Because it has better security.
14. Why is Harriet scared when she learns that John has escaped in the North?
(a) She knows that she will never hear from him again.
(b) She is afraid he will try to come back for her.
(c) She thinks Samuel might sell her children out of anger.
(d) She is afraid John will be caught and hanged.
15. What is the reason Harriet comes out of her hiding place for the first time in years?
(a) To attend Gran's funeral.
(b) To have Christmas dinner.
(c) To say goodbye to Louisa.
(d) To sew Ellen's wedding dress.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Joseph?
2. What does Harriet have sent to Dr. Norcom from Canada?
3. How many years has Harriet been in hiding since she left the Auburn plantation?
4. How much money does Dr. Norcom want to borrow from Widow Blount to chase after Harriet in New York?
5. Who is Harriet's friend who works for the person in #80?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)