|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following does Samuel Sawyer NOT buy?
2. Who is the woman who rents a room from Gran?
3. Why is Aunt Betty released from jail?
(a) She is too ill.
(b) She has served her time.
(c) She is purchased.
(d) Mrs. Norcom needs her to cook.
4. Who is the maid at Widow Blount's house who becomes nosy and tries to find Harriet?
5. What is a pattyroller?
(a) A politician.
(b) A religious zealot.
(c) A slave hunter.
(d) A pastry.
6. Who is Aunt Sue Bent's daughter who has run away?
7. In whose home does Harriet hide in town?
(a) Ellen Fairchild's.
(b) Emily Brown's.
(c) Caroline Birdwell's.
(d) Martha Blout's.
8. What can Harriet hear in her hiding place at Gran's house?
(a) Her children playing.
(b) Men playing cards.
(c) Men drinking liquor.
(d) A choir rehearsing.
9. Who does Harriet hope will buy her children after she runs away?
(a) Eugene DeFarge.
(b) Henry Stratton.
(c) Peter Jacobsen.
(d) Samuel Sawyer.
10. Which of the following does Harriet NOT make in preparation for the arrival of James and his new wife?
(d) Flower arrangements.
11. What will happen to Harriet if she refuses Dr. Norcom's offer in #66?
(a) He will give her to his son.
(b) He will have her hanged.
(c) He will sell her to a slave trader.
(d) He will cut off her foot.
12. Which of the following is NOT included in the meal given to Harriet by the person in #80?
(a) Sweet corn.
(b) Pork stew.
(c) Buttered biscuits.
(d) Peach cobbler.
13. Who is Dr. Norcom's son to whom Dr. Norcom gives Harriet?
14. What is the cause of Aunt Betty's death?
15. By what nickname does Harriet call her daughter?
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Harriet when she begins writing to Joseph in 1835?
2. Which of the following is NOT someone whom Dr. Norcom has had arrested?
3. Harriet recalls visiting __________________ in jail.
4. How many years has Harriet been in hiding since she left the Auburn plantation?
5. Where does Harriet stay at the home of the person in #80?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)