|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Gran give Harriet's ticket to stow away on the ship headed north?
2. How long does Harriet stay at Widow Blount's house?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 6 weeks.
(c) 22 days.
(d) 2 months.
3. Where is Mary Matilda Norcom attending school?
(b) San Francisco.
(d) New York.
4. Why is Harriet scared when she learns that John has escaped in the North?
(a) She thinks Samuel might sell her children out of anger.
(b) She is afraid John will be caught and hanged.
(c) She knows that she will never hear from him again.
(d) She is afraid he will try to come back for her.
5. What is the reason Harriet comes out of her hiding place for the first time in years?
(a) To have Christmas dinner.
(b) To say goodbye to Louisa.
(c) To sew Ellen's wedding dress.
(d) To attend Gran's funeral.
6. How is Harriet dressed when she leaves Widow Blount's house?
(a) A soldier's uniform.
(b) A nun's habit.
(c) A hobo's raggedy clothes.
(d) A sailor suit.
7. By what nickname does Harriet call her daughter?
8. Why does Samuel Sawyer go to Washington?
(a) He went to a family wedding.
(b) He started a new business.
(c) He wanted to buy some slaves.
(d) He was elected to Congress.
9. What is Samuel Sawyer's baby named?
10. What can Harriet hear in her hiding place at Gran's house?
(a) Men playing cards.
(b) Her children playing.
(c) A choir rehearsing.
(d) Men drinking liquor.
11. Which of the following does NOT bother Harriet about Samuel Sawyer's activity in #103?
(a) Her children are losing their father.
(b) Harriet is losing the only white man she felt safe with.
(c) Her children may be losing their freedom.
(d) She is not invited to attend.
12. What is presumed about Uncle Stephen?
(a) He is a runaway.
(b) He is a thief.
(c) He is a derelict.
(d) He is dead.
13. Who is the man who walks Harriet to the wharf?
14. Harriet recalls visiting __________________ in jail.
(a) Uncle Joseph.
(b) Her daddy.
(d) Uncle Tom.
15. What is the city where Louisa lives?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harriet stay at the home of the person in #80?
2. Which of the following does Harriet NOT make in preparation for the arrival of James and his new wife?
3. Why does Mrs. Norcom want Aunt Betty to be buried in the white cemetery?
4. How much money does Dr. Norcom want to borrow from Widow Blount to chase after Harriet in New York?
5. What do Dr. Norcom and James do when they realize Harriet is missing?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)