|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the Norcoms give Harriet and John for Christmas?
(a) Their freedom.
(b) Some biscuits.
(c) An orange.
(d) A book.
2. Who buys Gran at the slave auction?
(a) Mr. Preston.
(b) Dr. DuBois.
(c) Mrs. Lehigh.
(d) Miss Hannah.
3. Who is Harriet's brother?
(a) Little Andrew.
(b) Little Matthew.
(c) Little James.
(d) Little John.
4. What does Harriet do for the first time at Hayes plantation?
(a) Sews in a quilting bee.
(b) Presses apple cider.
(c) Runs away.
(d) Goes to a dance.
5. What do the white people find when they search Gran's house?
(a) Whiskey bottles.
(b) Table linens made in Belgium.
(c) Poems sent to Harriet by a friend.
(d) Letters from freed slaves in the North.
6. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
7. What is placed on Miss Horniblow's eyelids after she dies?
(a) Sea shells.
(b) Jar lids.
(c) Silver dollars.
(d) Tiny stones.
8. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
9. What does Dr. Norcom say he is going to do if she doesn't give in to his advances?
(a) Bring her back to his house.
(b) Make her live in the cottage.
(c) Sell her son to a slave trader.
(d) Sell her to a slave trader.
10. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
11. Harriet tells R that _____________________ is one of the meanest slaveholders in the county.
(a) Jeremy Colton.
(b) James Canfield.
(c) John Crabill.
(d) Josiah Coffield.
12. Who is Harriet's father?
(a) Miller Jacobs.
(b) Paul Jacobs.
(c) Daniel Jacobs.
(d) Ezra Jacobs.
13. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
(b) No slaves can visit between plantations.
(c) No more slave church services will be allowed.
(d) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
14. Who does Gran ask for help when Harriet tells her about Dr. Norcom's advances?
(a) Adam Sawyer.
(b) James Sawyer.
(c) Tom Sawyer.
(d) Samuel Sawyer.
15. In what year does Harriet begin writing letters?
Short Answer Questions
1. In January of 1833, Harriet writes to R. that local people have died of which disease?
2. Who is the Norcom boy with whom John has been fighting?
3. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
4. What nickname does Harriet's brother call her?
5. Harriet's owner gives her a book filled with ____________________.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)