|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Dr. Norcom?
2. Harriet's father can buy his freedom for ______________ dollars.
3. What trade does the young man in #33 have?
(a) He is a carpenter.
(b) He is a tailor.
(c) He is a shopkeeper.
(d) He is a jeweler.
4. What was Harriet's mother's name?
5. What do the slaves call a wedding ceremony?
(a) Singing the glory.
(b) Jumping the broom.
(c) Hoeing the field.
(d) Churning the butter.
6. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No more slave church services will be allowed.
(b) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
(c) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
(d) No slaves can visit between plantations.
7. Why do Harriet and her baby live with Gran?
(a) Gran wants to take care of them.
(b) Mrs. Norcom won't let them in the house.
(c) Harriet helps take care of Gran.
(d) Gran wants to keep men away from Harriet.
8. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
9. Who is the Norcom boy with whom John has been fighting?
10. What type of cure does the doctor use on Harriet's owner?
(a) The herbal cure.
(b) The starvation cure.
(c) The ice cure.
(d) The bleeding cure.
11. In August of 1831, there is a ___________________ uprising.
12. Who buys Gran at the slave auction?
(a) Miss Hannah.
(b) Dr. DuBois.
(c) Mrs. Lehigh.
(d) Mr. Preston.
13. By what initial does Harriet call her new beau?
14. Who is Harriet's father?
(a) Daniel Jacobs.
(b) Ezra Jacobs.
(c) Paul Jacobs.
(d) Miller Jacobs.
15. Who wants to buy Harriet's freedom and marry her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Harriet's father's skill?
2. What nickname does Harriet's brother call her?
3. Harriet tells R that _____________________ is one of the meanest slaveholders in the county.
4. What do the Norcoms give Harriet and John for Christmas?
5. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
This section contains 340 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)