|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harriet seeks out her mother's friend, _______________, to talk to about her situation.
2. In January of 1833, Harriet writes to R. that local people have died of which disease?
(a) Scarlet Fever.
3. At what church is Harriet's daughter baptized?
(a) Our Lord the Redeemer.
(b) St. Paul's.
(c) Chowan Baptist Church.
(d) United Church of Christ.
4. To whom does Harriet address her first letter?
(a) Her mama.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her papa.
(d) Her brother.
5. Why do Harriet and her baby live with Gran?
(a) Gran wants to take care of them.
(b) Gran wants to keep men away from Harriet.
(c) Mrs. Norcom won't let them in the house.
(d) Harriet helps take care of Gran.
6. What happy event occurs in Harriet's family?
(a) Harriet has a baby.
(b) Gran is given her freedom.
(c) Gran turns 75.
(d) James gets married.
7. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
8. Who approaches Harriet with inappropriate advances?
(a) Mr. Kagey.
(b) Dr. Johnson.
(c) Dr. Norcum.
(d) Mr. Beaulieu.
9. What does Harriet do for the first time at Hayes plantation?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Presses apple cider.
(c) Goes to a dance.
(d) Sews in a quilting bee.
10. What does Dr. Norcom threaten to do if Harriet tells anyone about his advances toward her?
(a) Whip her.
(b) Rape her.
(c) Sell her.
(d) Kill her.
11. Harriet tells R that _____________________ is one of the meanest slaveholders in the county.
(a) Jeremy Colton.
(b) James Canfield.
(c) John Crabill.
(d) Josiah Coffield.
12. Who is Harriet's brother?
(a) Little John.
(b) Little James.
(c) Little Matthew.
(d) Little Andrew.
13. What does Harriet enter into the book she receives from her owner?
14. Harriet's father can buy his freedom for ______________ dollars.
15. Who is Doctor Norcum's wife?
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is the leather on the book given to Harriet by her owner?
2. Who is Harriet's father?
3. What type of cure does the doctor use on Harriet's owner?
4. What was Harriet's mother's name?
5. By what initial does Harriet call her new beau?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)