|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the white people find when they search Gran's house?
(a) Letters from freed slaves in the North.
(b) Whiskey bottles.
(c) Table linens made in Belgium.
(d) Poems sent to Harriet by a friend.
2. What is Harriet's father's skill?
3. In what year does Harriet begin writing letters?
4. Where had R gone because he heard there was land to be had?
5. Who buys Gran at the slave auction?
(a) Mr. Preston.
(b) Miss Hannah.
(c) Dr. DuBois.
(d) Mrs. Lehigh.
6. To whom does Harriet address her first letter?
(a) Her mama.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her papa.
(d) Her brother.
7. What nickname does Harriet's brother call her?
(c) Hay seed.
8. What does Harriet enter into the book she receives from her owner?
9. What does Dr. Norcom say he is going to do if she doesn't give in to his advances?
(a) Sell her son to a slave trader.
(b) Make her live in the cottage.
(c) Bring her back to his house.
(d) Sell her to a slave trader.
10. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
(b) No slaves can visit between plantations.
(c) No more slave church services will be allowed.
(d) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
11. Harriet tells R that _____________________ is one of the meanest slaveholders in the county.
(a) Josiah Coffield.
(b) James Canfield.
(c) John Crabill.
(d) Jeremy Colton.
12. What do the slaves call a wedding ceremony?
(a) Jumping the broom.
(b) Churning the butter.
(c) Singing the glory.
(d) Hoeing the field.
13. Why does Gran throw Harriet out of her house?
(a) Because she swore at her.
(b) Because she no longer goes to church.
(c) Because she is pregnant.
(d) Because she tried to run away.
14. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
(a) To become his lover.
(b) To look after his daughter.
(c) To pick cherries for his wife.
(d) To bake a special cake.
15. Who is Harriet's father?
(a) Paul Jacobs.
(b) Daniel Jacobs.
(c) Ezra Jacobs.
(d) Miller Jacobs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Norcom do when he learns that Harriet has had another child?
2. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
3. At what church is Harriet's daughter baptized?
4. What trade does the young man in #33 have?
5. Who is the physician who attends to Harriet's owner?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)