|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet hope that Miss Margaret gave her in her will?
(a) A pen and paper.
(b) Her freedom.
(c) A necklace.
(d) A sewing kit.
2. Where had R gone because he heard there was land to be had?
3. What has Gran been teaching Harriet to make?
(a) Pecan cake.
4. What had Miss Elizabeth bought with the $300 she borrowed from Gran?
(a) A slave girl.
(b) An emerald necklace.
(c) Woolen fabrics.
(d) A silver candelabra.
5. Who is Aunt Betty's husband?
6. Harriet's owner gives her a book filled with ____________________.
(b) Family tree.
(d) Numbers and lists.
7. What possession of Harriet's does Mrs. Norcom forbid her to use?
(a) Hair brush.
(c) New shoes.
(d) Pen and paper.
8. Who is the Norcom boy with whom John has been fighting?
9. Which of the following best describes Dr. Norcom?
10. What nickname does Harriet's brother call her?
(d) Hay seed.
11. By what initial does Harriet call her new beau?
12. What does Harriet name her son?
13. In January of 1833, Harriet writes to R. that local people have died of which disease?
(d) Scarlet Fever.
14. At what church is Harriet's daughter baptized?
(a) St. Paul's.
(b) United Church of Christ.
(c) Our Lord the Redeemer.
(d) Chowan Baptist Church.
15. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wants to buy Harriet's freedom and marry her?
2. Where does Dr. Norcom plan to have Harriet stay so he can have her all to himself?
3. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
4. Harriet's father can buy his freedom for ______________ dollars.
5. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)