|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Harriet's owner?
(a) Mary Husted.
(b) Mable Hawthorne.
(c) Marjorie Hemings.
(d) Margaret Horniblow.
2. How much does the person in #30 pay for Gran?
3. How old is Harriet when she begins writing letters?
4. What does the man in #41 ask of Harriet?
(a) To bake a special cake.
(b) To look after his daughter.
(c) To become his lover.
(d) To pick cherries for his wife.
5. What does Dr. Norcom say he is going to do if she doesn't give in to his advances?
(a) Sell her son to a slave trader.
(b) Make her live in the cottage.
(c) Sell her to a slave trader.
(d) Bring her back to his house.
6. What ruling was in effect in Chowan County where Harriet lives after the slave revolt?
(a) No slave is allowed to ride a horse.
(b) No slaves can visit between plantations.
(c) No more slave marriages will be allowed.
(d) No more slave church services will be allowed.
7. When was the man in #50 hanged for his crimes?
(a) September 15, 1798.
(b) June 25, 1829.
(c) November 11, 1831.
(d) October 28, 1876
8. What does Harriet do for the first time at Hayes plantation?
(a) Presses apple cider.
(b) Goes to a dance.
(c) Sews in a quilting bee.
(d) Runs away.
9. What color is the leather on the book given to Harriet by her owner?
10. To whom does Harriet address her first letter?
(a) Her papa.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her mama.
11. Who is the Norcom boy with whom John has been fighting?
12. At what church is Harriet's daughter baptized?
(a) Our Lord the Redeemer.
(b) United Church of Christ.
(c) Chowan Baptist Church.
(d) St. Paul's.
13. What is Harriet's father's skill?
14. What does Dr. Norcom do when he learns that Harriet has had another child?
(a) He sells the child.
(b) He demands that she give the child his last name.
(c) He sells her.
(d) He cuts her hair very short.
15. How old is Mary Matilda when Harriet is given to her?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the town where the Norcom family lives?
2. What nickname does Harriet have for Dr. Norcom?
3. Into which state can free Negroes not enter?
4. Where had R gone because he heard there was land to be had?
5. Who buys Gran at the slave auction?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)