|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's husband in the novel?
2. Who does Lara describe as her and Blaine's dealer in the Village in Book 1, Chapter 3: "A Fear of Love"?
3. How long is the cable that the walker trains on in the meadow in Book 1, Chapter 4: "Let the Great World Spin Forever Down"?
4. According to the narrator in Book 1, Chapter 4: "Let the Great World Spin Forever Down," the World Trade Center towers were designed to sway how much in a storm?
5. Why are the programmers calling payphones in New York in Book 2, Chapter 6: "Etherwest"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to the confrontation between Ciaran and Lara at the car in Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
2. What happens when the walker jumps into the snow in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
3. How does the narrator describe the process of writing code in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”?
4. What is the passion of the protagonist in Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
5. How is the meadow described in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
6. What is the central conflict faced by the protagonist in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”?
7. What is a “blue box” and how is it used in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”?
8. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue related? Who is the focus of this section of the book?
9. What is foreshadowed in the end of Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
10. Who is the narrator of Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”? Who is the protagonist in this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphors and symbolism surrounding the tightrope walker in the novel. What central feat does the walker perform? Why does he perform this stunt? How does this performance impact the lives of the main characters in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Tillie Henderson in Let the Great World Spin. Where is Tillie’s character first introduced? How would you describe Tillie’s manner of speech? Where is Tillie when she relates her story in Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the court cases that are presented in Book 3, Chapter 9: “Part of the Parts.” Who appears before the judge? What are they charged with? What is the outcome of these cases?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)