|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How high up is the tightrope walker described in the Prologue as he crossed the Twin Towers?
2. How old is Fernando when he attempts to see the photo editor of the New York Times?
3. What is the name of Claire Soderberg's son who has died in Book 1, Chapter 2: "Miro, Miro on the Wall"?
4. How old is Lara when she is in the accident that kills Corrigan and Jazzlyn?
5. Where does Claire say she grew up in Book 1, Chapter 2: "Miro, Miro on the Wall"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who are the four main characters that are introduced in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”? How are they described?
2. How is the central conflict resolved in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”?
3. What preparations for the World Trade Center stunt are described in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
4. What are the two main settings of Book One, Chapter 1: “All Respects to Heaven, I Like It Here”? How are these settings compared?
5. What event is taking place in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”?
6. Who is the narrator of Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”? Who is the protagonist in this chapter?
7. What presumed event is taking place at the end of Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
8. How does the narrator describe the evolution of graffiti artistry in Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
9. What is the passion of the protagonist in Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
10. Whom do the protagonists speak to first on the phone in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”? What do they learn from this character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Fernando Yunque Marcano in Let the Great World Spin. Whom do you think this character is based upon? Why do you think the author chooses to relate Fernando’s story? How does Fernando’s story relate to the other characters in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the character of Gloria in the novel. When and where is Gloria introduced? How is her home described? What is Gloria’s past like? How does the theme of grief relate to Gloria?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Jaslyn in the novel. When and where is Jaslyn first introduced? What is her relationship to the other characters in the narrative? What are Jaslyn’s actions, objectives, obstacles, and conflicts in her story?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)