|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Claire's husband in the novel?
2. What profession does the narrator of Book 1, Chapter 1: "All Respects to Heaven, I Like It Here" say his father held?
3. How are Fernando's grades described in Book 2, Chapter 5: "Tag"?
4. What animal appears and playfully jumps under the walker's wire in Book 1, Chapter 4: "Let the Great World Spin Forever Down"?
5. What type of vehicle are Corrigan and Jazzlyn in during the accident?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue related? Who is the focus of this section of the book?
2. How is the beginning of the walker’s historic stunt described Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
3. How would you describe the narrative style and focus of Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
4. What action breaks the initial tension described in the Prologue? Why?
5. How is the meadow described in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
6. From what narrative perspective is Book One, Chapter 1: “All Respects to Heaven, I Like It Here” related? Who is the focus of this chapter?
7. Whom does Sam speak to on the phone in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”? Whatd oes he learn from this character?
8. What happens when the walker jumps into the snow in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
9. What brings Lara to the hospital in Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”? What does she discover at the hospital?
10. How would you describe the protagonist and narrator of Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Tillie Henderson in Let the Great World Spin. Where is Tillie’s character first introduced? How would you describe Tillie’s manner of speech? Where is Tillie when she relates her story in Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the metaphors and symbolism surrounding the tightrope walker in the novel. What central feat does the walker perform? Why does he perform this stunt? How does this performance impact the lives of the main characters in the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Jazzlyn in the novel. How does Jazzlyn die? How does her death impact the main characters in the novel? How does Jazzlyn’s death connect to the tightrope walker’s performance?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)