|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who among the programmers served two tours in Vietnam in Book 2, Chapter 6: "Etherwest"?
2. Where did the narrator of Book 1, Chapter 1: "All Respects to Heaven, I Like It Here" grow up?
3. How frequently does the narrator's father send checks to his mother after leaving the family in Book 1, Chapter 1: "All Respects to Heaven, I Like It Here"?
4. What is the name of Blaine's art film that featured him eating breakfast on the roof of the Clock Tower Building?
5. What is described in Book 1, Chapter 4: "Let the Great World Spin Forever Down" as "the purest bodyflow [the walker] could get"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What preparations for the World Trade Center stunt are described in Book 1, Chapter 4: “Let the Great World Spin Forever Down”?
2. What is the passion of the protagonist in Book 2, Chapter 5: “Tag”?
3. What does Marcia describe when she arrives in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”? Why is Marcia’s story significant?
4. Who are the four main characters that are introduced in Book 2, Chapter 6: “Etherwest”? How are they described?
5. What event is taking place in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”?
6. How would you describe the protagonist and narrator of Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
7. From what narrative perspective is the Prologue related? Who is the focus of this section of the book?
8. What leads to the confrontation between Ciaran and Lara at the car in Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
9. What is revealed of the protagonist’s past in the beginning of Book 1, Chapter 3: “A Fear of Love”?
10. What is the central conflict faced by the protagonist in Book 1, Chapter 2: “Miro, Miro on the Wall”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Claire Soderberg in Let the Great World Spin. What is Claire doing when her character is introduced? What are Claire’s central conflicts in the narrative? How does the language in Claire’s chapter reflect upon her mental state?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Tillie Henderson in Let the Great World Spin. Where is Tillie’s character first introduced? How would you describe Tillie’s manner of speech? Where is Tillie when she relates her story in Book 2, Chapter 7: “This is the House That Horse Built”?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the “art” of graffiti described in Let the Great World Spin. How has graffiti art evolved? Why has it evolved? How do you think graffiti connects to the themes in the novel?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)