|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the consequence of Papa's decision to quit the government program?
(a) Nothing will happen.
(b) He will set a bad example to other farmers.
(c) He will pay higher taxes.
(d) He will be able to stop paying high taxes.
2. What happens when Stacey says he wants to go to TJ's trial?
(a) They hold a family meeting.
(b) They say he will be put on trial with TJ.
(c) Mr. Morrison laughs at him.
(d) His parents say he cannot go.
3. Cousin Bud tells Mama that his wife wants their daughter to. . .
(a) go to college.
(b) pass herself off as white.
(c) live with the black for a while.
(d) live with her father.
4. Who returns home wearing an Army uniform?
(a) Don Lee.
5. How does Mr. Jamison discredit Mrs.Barnett's testimony?
(a) He shows that TJ is shorter than she says the men were and uses a black stocking to show how it can make a white man appear to be black.
(b) He makes her take off her glasses and pick out three men who are the height of her husband's killers.
(c) He explains TJ's fingerprints were not on the white handled pistol.
(d) He puts a black stocking on the hand of RW Sims.
6. How does the Sheriff refer to the union that is forming?
(a) An illegal activity.
(b) A negro conspiracy.
(c) A big mistake.
(d) A socialist conspiracy.
7. Why does Moe Turner walk three hours every weekday?
(a) To get to and from his work so he can help his family.
(b) He wants to stay in shape.
(c) To earn extra money taking supplies to the farmers.
(d) To get an education and have a better life than his father.
8. What surrounds the town?
(a) The road to Strawberry.
(b) Lovely gardens.
(d) The woods.
9. Who lives in the Logan's shed?
(a) Big Ma.
(b) Mr. Jamison.
(d) Mr. Morrison.
10. Who is in jail, accused of killing Mr. Barnett?
(a) Mrs. Barnett.
(b) TJ Avery.
(c) Willie & Maynard Wiggins.
(d) RW & Melvin Simms.
11. Why is Mr. Jamison the victim of vandalism and threats?
(a) Because he is a white lawyer representing a black man.
(b) Because no one likes a black lawyer.
(c) Because he is an outsider.
(d) Because the black community hates him.
12. Although TJ doesn't say anything as he is led from the courthouse, what does he do?
(a) He spits on the white guards.
(b) He smiles.
(c) He struggles with his guards.
(d) He cries.
13. What does the county agent, Mr. Farnsworth, ask the Logans to do?
(a) He asks them to stop their neighbor from trying to steal their land.
(b) He tells them they need to plant more crops to get more money.
(c) He asks them to get back into the government program.
(d) To let them know that the government checks will be late.
14. What explanation does Stacey give for Jeremy Sims making them leave?
(a) The boys went into the ladies' restroom by accident.
(b) The water fountain and the restrooms inside the courthouse are for white folks.
(c) Jeremy Sims is evil like his brothers.
(d) They were supposed to wait in line and didn't.
15. How large is the Logan farm?
(a) 400 acres.
(b) 300 acres.
(c) 500 acres.
(d) 200 acres.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to TJ Avery's appeal for a new trial?
2. Who offers milk to the young man?
3. Who wants to find work so that he can buy milk for his siblings?
4. Why are the Logans upset about Joe Billy and Stuart talking to Jacey Peters?
5. What decision does Papa Logan make that upsets his wife?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)