|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surrounds the town?
(b) Lovely gardens.
(c) The woods.
(d) The road to Strawberry.
2. Which marble catches Cassie's eye?
(a) The big orange shooter.
(b) The cat's eye.
(c) The shiny yellow marble.
(d) The blue green marble.
3. Why don't they think TJ will have a fair trial?
(a) All of the above.
(b) No jury will believe a black man over a white man.
(c) They have a difficult judge for the trial.
(d) They have no faith in the justice system.
4. What explanation does Stacey give for Jeremy Sims making them leave?
(a) The water fountain and the restrooms inside the courthouse are for white folks.
(b) They were supposed to wait in line and didn't.
(c) Jeremy Sims is evil like his brothers.
(d) The boys went into the ladies' restroom by accident.
5. Why is Jeremy Sims nervous around the Logan children?
(a) He is afraid the black children will call him a murderer.
(b) He's afraid of what they think of him since his brothers were responsible for TJ Avery's death.
(c) He is afraid his parents or other white folks will see him with the black childen.
(d) He is afraid they will beat him because he is the brother of RW and Melvin Sims.
6. How was Mr. Barnett killed?
(a) He died trying to save his wife.
(b) He was beaten.
(c) He fell down the stairs.
(d) He was hit on the head with the blunt end of an axe.
7. Where is Joe at the end of Chapter One?
(a) He follows Wordell into the woods.
(b) He is chased into the woods.
(c) They send out a search party.
(d) He is arrested for attempted murder.
8. How does Uncle Hammer feel about Bud's announcement?
(a) He threatens Cousin Bud.
(b) He laughs at Cousin Bud.
(c) He is angry and calls Cousin Bud a fool.
(d) He calls Cousin Bud a traitor to blacks.
9. What is the consequence of Papa's decision to quit the government program?
(a) Nothing will happen.
(b) He will be able to stop paying high taxes.
(c) He will set a bad example to other farmers.
(d) He will pay higher taxes.
10. Why doesn't PaPa want his children to play marbles?
(a) He is afraid someone would fall on them.
(b) He considers it to be gambling.
(c) He wants them to do their chores.
(d) It is time for dinner.
11. What does Moe do when Joe Billy offers him a ride home from school?
(a) He politely refuses.
(b) He accepts the ride.
(c) He asks if his friends can also have a ride.
(d) He ignores the other boy.
12. After receiving a copy of the Mississippi constitution, what does Mrs. Lee Annie decide she wants to do?
(a) Learn to read.
(b) Visit the state capitol.
(c) Memorize the constitution.
13. What did Joe say about Uncle Hammer's new car?
(a) The yellow is a happy color.
(b) The yellow color is too bright.
(c) He liked the Packard more.
(d) The Packard was a nicer shade of yellow.
14. Who is the stranger in the back of the church?
(a) Big Ma's friend Jake Willis.
(b) Papa's cousin Bud.
(c) Mama's nephew Bud.
(d) Mama's cousin Bud.
15. Who owns the beat up Ford truck that was parked outside the Barnett's store the night of the murder?
(a) Melvin Sims.
(b) RW Sims.
(c) Mr. Macabee.
(d) TJ Avery.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is in jail, accused of killing Mr. Barnett?
2. Who returns home wearing an Army uniform?
3. As Mr. Jamison questions several people about the night of Mr. Barnett's death, the testimonies offered also make the actions of which two other people look suspicious?
4. What does Papa say when Uncle Hammer asks him about his other job?
5. Cousin Bud tells Mama that his wife wants their daughter to. . .
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)