|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Catherine asks, who strongly advocates Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
2. What do Marc and Catherine notice about Anne Marie as they look at photographs together?
3. Who is visited during the family's overseas trip?
4. How does Anne Marie react to human contact?
5. A friend calls Catherine with news of therapy that involves intense _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the Maurice family's trip to France in Chapter 9.
2. What action does Catherine take after the holding session at the Mothering Center in Connecticut?
3. According to the acknowledgments section, who offered support to Catherine in writing the book?
4. Explain how Michel was diagnosed with autism.
5. What improvements does Catherine see in Anne Marie, according to Chapter 13?
6. What is the significance of Clara Park's book "The Siege?"
7. What therapists does Catherine thank in the acknowledgments section?
8. What signs does Anne Marie show of improvement, according to Chapter 21?
9. Explain how holding therapy goes for Catherine in Chapter 12 and how it affects her feelings toward behavioral therapy.
10. Explain Catherine's view of aversives used in behavioral therapy.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do some parents turn to people like Dr. Welch for help with their autistic children, even when they see the therapy isn't helping? Be specific.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the process of the BBC documentary on autism, including a summary of the final product and Catherine's reaction to it.
Essay Topic 3
Explain autism, using examples from the book of diagnosis, symptoms, treatment, and recovery.
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)