|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Catherine's doctor tell her about autism?
2. What does Catherine doubt about behavioral therapy as she makes the lists?
3. What is the diagnosis of Anne Marie by the neurologist?
4. How does Catherine initially react to Anne Marie's struggles in Chapter 2?
5. For what is Bernard Rimland thanked in the acknowledgments section?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the documentary on holding therapy, and Anne Marie's reaction to it.
2. What does the family realize about Anne Marie while she is with them on a trip to Spain?
3. What happens when Michel begins school?
4. According to Chapter 17, why do Anne Marie's negative behaviors increase and how are they handled by Catherine?
5. Describe Bernard Rimland's credentials, and his work in the field of behavior modification.
6. Explain how holding therapy goes for Catherine in Chapter 12 and how it affects her feelings toward behavioral therapy.
7. Explain holding therapy.
8. Explain the Maurice family's trip to France in Chapter 9.
9. Explain the process of Anne Marie's diagnosis of infantile autism.
10. What are the results of Anne Marie's language reevaluation in Chapter 25?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain why some people are against behavioral therapy or consider it cruel.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Daniel's role in the recovery of Anne Marie and Michel.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Anne Marie's journey from diagnosis to recovery. How is she diagnosed? What complications arise in her recovery? At what point does Catherine believe she is recovered?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)