|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Catherine when she finds strength during the family's overseas trip?
(a) The Louvre.
(b) The Arc D'Triomph.
(c) The Eiffel Tower.
(d) Notre Dame Cathedral.
2. What percentage of children have been helped by the therapy Rimland advocates?
(a) Over thirty percent.
(b) Over forty percent.
(c) Over seventy-five percent.
(d) Over fifty percent.
3. How does Catherine react to being comforted about Anne Marie's illness?
(a) She pulls away.
(b) She breaks down in tears.
(c) She claims she's fine.
(d) She allows herself to be comforted.
4. What is the name of the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(c) Anne Marie.
5. What does Catherine doubt about behavioral therapy as she makes the lists?
(a) That making lists is beneficial in therapy.
(b) That candy can increase positive behaviors.
(c) That Bridget is the best counselor for her daughter.
(d) That she should be so involved in the therapy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the behavioral therapy program does Catherine choose not to use?
2. How does Catherine initially react to Anne Marie's struggles in Chapter 2?
3. What is one explanation others give for Anne Marie's problems?
4. What is the setting of Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
5. What do Catherine and Marc note about their child at the beginning of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens one night when Anne Marie is sick with a fever and cough.
2. Explain the relationship between Dr. Welch and Catherine after the documentary.
3. According to Chapter 17, why do Anne Marie's negative behaviors increase and how are they handled by Catherine?
4. Why does Catherine come to the conclusion one day that she no longer needs to love Anne Marie?
5. Why does Bernard Rimland write the foreword?
6. Explain what happens with Michel on a trip at the end of Chapter 29.
7. Describe the documentary on holding therapy, and Anne Marie's reaction to it.
8. Explain how Michel was diagnosed with autism.
9. Explain how Anne Marie's first semester of preschool goes.
10. What therapists does Catherine thank in the acknowledgments section?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)