|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Catherine asks, who strongly advocates Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
(a) Dr. Cohen.
(b) Dr. Gershwin.
(c) Dr. Lovaas.
(d) Dr. Welch.
2. What is one common behavior in autistic children that Anne Marie begins to do in Chapter 5?
(a) Lack of eye contact.
(b) Lack of communication.
(c) Repetitive behaviors.
(d) Toe walking.
3. According to the acknowledgments section, who in the Maurice family needed therapists?
(a) Catherine and Marc.
(b) The children.
4. Who tries to comfort Catherine regarding Anne Marie's illness?
(a) Dr. Baxter.
(c) Dr. DeCarlo.
5. What is the name of the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Anne Marie.
6. Who is the author's husband?
7. According to the foreword, what is Rimland's response to the naysayers of behavior modification therapy?
(a) He says they do not understand modern techniques.
(b) He says they did not follow the therapy closely enough.
(c) He says they are looking for a "quick fix."
(d) He says they did not give the therapy long enough to work.
8. What does Dr. Lovaas develop that Catherine uses for Anne Marie?
(a) A school.
(b) A vaccine.
(c) A language for autistics.
(d) A therapy program.
9. Aside from the counselor, who is involved in Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
(a) The child's family.
(b) Everyone in the child's life.
(c) The child's family and teacher.
(d) The child's family and friends.
10. What is one symptom of Anne Marie's autism that affects her communication?
(c) Lack of verbal communication.
(d) A stutter.
11. A friend calls Catherine with news of therapy that involves intense _______.
(a) Behavioral therapy.
(b) Holding therapy.
(c) Light therapy.
(d) Speech therapy.
12. What do Marc and Catherine notice about Anne Marie as they look at photographs together?
(a) Anne Marie's withdrawal was almost from birth.
(b) Anne Marie was an early walker.
(c) Anne Marie was a happy baby.
(d) Anne Marie had blonde hair.
13. For what is Ivar Lovaas thanked in the acknowledgments section?
(a) His promotion of her book.
(b) His work with autistic children.
(c) His work with holding therapy.
(d) His work with speech therapy.
14. What is explained in the foreword?
(a) Speech therapy.
(b) Holding therapy.
(c) Behavior modification.
(d) Psychoanalytic counseling.
15. Why is it recommended that Catherine take Anne Marie to the hospital?
(a) To help her feel comfortable in that setting.
(b) For a therapeutic nursery.
(c) For commitment.
(d) For treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who receives the final thank you in the acknowledgments section?
2. What are Catherine and Marc doing to the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. According to Chapter 8, what is one way behaviors are achieved in behavioral therapy?
4. According to the acknowledgment section, what did the author get help with?
5. What is the purpose of the foreword?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)