|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the foreword, what has been proven helpful for autistic children?
(a) Holding therapy.
(b) Social skills courses.
(c) Early behavior modification.
(d) Speech therapy.
2. What do Catherine and Marc know about Anne Marie's diagnosis?
(a) It is something passed down through Marc's family.
(b) It is easily cured.
(c) It is carried by Catherine.
(d) There is no cure.
3. What book does Catherine read that becomes her call to arms?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Siege.
(c) The Eyre Affair.
(d) The Red Tent.
4. Why do others suspect Anne Marie is unhappy, according to Chapter 2?
(a) Because Catherine works outside the home.
(b) Because Catherine spends too much time with Daniel.
(c) Because Catherine gives Anne Marie too much freedom?
(d) Because Catherine is pregnant with her third child.
5. What does Catherine believe about Anne Marie's autism?
(a) It is Marc's fault.
(b) It is Anne Marie's fault.
(c) It will be cured.
(d) It is her fault.
6. How does Catherine initially react to Anne Marie's struggles in Chapter 2?
(a) She blames her own mother.
(b) She doubts her own skills as a mother.
(c) She blames her husband.
(d) She worries that Anne Marie is being abused.
7. What percentage of children have been helped by the therapy Rimland advocates?
(a) Over forty percent.
(b) Over thirty percent.
(c) Over fifty percent.
(d) Over seventy-five percent.
8. According to the foreword, how do many view behavior modification therapy?
9. Who is the author of the book?
(a) Bernard Rimland, Ph.D.
(b) Anne Marie Maurice.
(c) Catherine Maurice.
(d) Bridget Taylor.
10. According to the acknowledgment section, what did the author get help with?
(a) Her children's deafness.
(b) Her recovery from postpartum depression.
(c) Her children's recovery from autism.
(d) Her husband's recovery from bypass surgery.
11. Who wrote the foreword?
(a) Bernard Rimland, Ph.D.
(b) Catherine Maurce.
(c) Dr. Martha Welch.
(d) Ivar Lovaas.
12. What are Catherine and Marc doing to the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Sitting with the child at the hospital.
(b) Feeding the child.
(c) Giving the child a bath.
(d) Looking at the child.
13. What does Marc promise Catherine he will do for his family?
(a) Whatever is needed.
(b) Find a cure for autism.
(c) Pay any amount for a treatment.
(d) Quit his job in order to care for Anne Marie at home.
14. What is one clue to Catherine about Anne Marie in Chapter 1?
(a) She seems to know when someone is coming to the door.
(b) She cries incessantly.
(c) She is already speaking in two- and three-word sentences.
(d) She is not afraid of strangers.
15. Where does Catherine find solace as she seeks for a way to help her daughter?
(d) Volunteer work.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is Ivar Lovaas thanked in the acknowledgments section?
2. What do Catherine and Marc note about their child at the beginning of Chapter 1?
3. What does the Maurice family begin to read about in Chapter 6?
4. What is one symptom of Anne Marie's autism that affects her behavior?
5. Who is the first therapist hired by Catherine?
This section contains 509 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)