|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Catherine when she finds strength during the family's overseas trip?
(a) The Eiffel Tower.
(b) The Arc D'Triomph.
(c) The Louvre.
(d) Notre Dame Cathedral.
2. From whom does Catherine get another diagnosis for Anne Marie?
(a) Dr. Berman.
(b) Dr. Cohen.
(c) Dr. Welch.
(d) Dr. Baxter.
3. What is one symptom of Anne Marie's autism that affects her communication?
(a) A stutter.
(b) Lack of verbal communication.
4. What is the reason for the family's overseas trip?
(a) To introduce the children to air travel.
(b) To look for a new home.
(c) To have the children baptized.
(d) To visit historical landmarks.
5. What is one reason Rimland praises Catherine?
(a) Her work with holding therapy.
(b) Her work with the elderly.
(c) Her work with autistic children at the hospital.
(d) Her work with her children.
6. According to Chapter 8, what is one way behaviors are achieved in behavioral therapy?
(a) By secluding the child.
(b) By force.
(c) Through a live-in program.
(d) Through repetition.
7. What are Catherine and Marc doing to the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
(a) Giving the child a bath.
(b) Sitting with the child at the hospital.
(c) Feeding the child.
(d) Looking at the child.
8. According to the foreword, what is Rimland's response to the naysayers of behavior modification therapy?
(a) He says they did not give the therapy long enough to work.
(b) He says they do not understand modern techniques.
(c) He says they did not follow the therapy closely enough.
(d) He says they are looking for a "quick fix."
9. What does Catherine believe about Anne Marie's autism?
(a) It will be cured.
(b) It is her fault.
(c) It is Anne Marie's fault.
(d) It is Marc's fault.
10. What percentage of children have been helped by the therapy Rimland advocates?
(a) Over seventy-five percent.
(b) Over thirty percent.
(c) Over forty percent.
(d) Over fifty percent.
11. Who is the first therapist hired by Catherine?
12. Where does the family travel in Chapter 9?
13. What is the setting of Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
(a) Art therapy.
(b) Group therapy.
(c) One-on-one therapy.
(d) Musical therapy.
14. How does Anne Marie react to human contact?
(a) She reacts violently.
(b) She ignores it.
(c) She craves it.
(d) She acts as though touching her is painful.
15. Aside from the counselor, who is involved in Dr. Lovaas's therapy program?
(a) The child's family and teacher.
(b) The child's family.
(c) Everyone in the child's life.
(d) The child's family and friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lists does the therapist ask Catherine to make?
2. According to the foreword, how do many view behavior modification therapy?
3. What is Bridget's relationship with the Maurice family?
4. What is the name of the child introduced at the beginning of Chapter 1?
5. What is one behavior Anne Marie begins to do in Chapter 5?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)