|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of car is parked in the driveway next to his mother's car when Clay arrives home from Griffin's house?
2. What is Julian doing when Clay arrives at his house in Part 5?
3. What did Clay do the day after he and his sisters were in Palm Springs?
4. What time does Clay get off of the phone with Blair in Part 3?
5. After visiting with Muriel, where does Clay agree to meet Rip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Clay and Blair discuss while at lunch? What does Blair do a few days after she has lunch with Clay?
2. What does Clay do over the next few days following Blair's Christmas Party? Who does he visit?
3. Why does Clay not agree with Spin's behavior at Rip's house? What is the argument between Clay and Rip?
4. Who does Clay attend the Christmas party with in Part 3 of the novel? Why do they choose to leave the party early? What do they do after they leave the party?
5. What does Clay's psychiatrist tell him during his visit? How does Clay react?
6. What memories of Julian does Clay have while at the hotel and on the way to the club afterward?
7. What is happening at Clay's mother's house when he eventually arrives home from the party he attended with Trent?
8. What does Clay do when he arrives home? Why does he do this?
9. Why do Clay, Rip, and Trent go to Dead's house? What do they do after they leave Dead's house?
10. What does Clay do before his date with Blair in Part 7? What do they do on their date? What happens when they go to Spago?
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author include the scene in which Rip shows his friends the girl tied up in his apartment? How does the author use Clay and Spin to juxtapose each other in this scene? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Clay's relationship with Julian seems to be the most important throughout the novel. How does the author relay the importance of their relationship throughout the novel? Why does Julian's relationship with Clay seem significant even though Julian is absent for much of the novel? Why is it necessary to take into consideration that the significance of Clay and Julian's relationship is told from Clay's point of view? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 2,031 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)