|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Kim say her mom is while Blair and Clay are visiting?
2. At the start of the Part 4, why do Clay and Blair go to Kim's house?
3. What drug dealer does Clay meet up with and do some hits of cocaine in an upstairs bathroom?
4. What is Clay's father's profession?
5. In part 5, why does Trent call Clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Clay share with Trent while they are at Spago for appetizers and drinks?
2. Where does Clay go after the party in Part 2? Why does he not go straight home?
3. What memories of Julian does Clay have while at the hotel and on the way to the club afterward?
4. What do Clay and Rip encounter while on Mulholland Drive? What does it remind them of?
5. What does Clay do once he is settled in at home?
6. What is happening at Clay's mother's house when he eventually arrives home from the party he attended with Trent?
7. What does Lene tell Blair, Kim, and Clay when they see her? Why do Kim and Blair pretend that they do not know about Lene's good news?
8. Why does Alana visit Clay? What does she reveal to Clay during her visit?
9. Describe Clay's lunch with his father.
10. Who does Clay attend the Christmas party with in Part 3 of the novel? Why do they choose to leave the party early? What do they do after they leave the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, not associate with real life? Why do they choose to not interact with each other when they are together? Why do they seem to have little to say to each other? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does the author include the scene in which Rip shows his friends the girl tied up in his apartment? How does the author use Clay and Spin to juxtapose each other in this scene? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Clay express his compassion? Provide at least three examples. Does he only express his compassion during certain times? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)