|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blair tell Clay about his friend Muriel?
2. What reason does Julian give for needing to borrow money from Clay?
3. Why does Clay go home with Griffin?
4. Who says, "But I don't like Bandarasta. He's always calling me 'Halloween' for some reason. I don't like to be called 'Halloween.' I don't like it at all."
5. What does Clay and his regular group of friends do on Christmas Eve?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Clay when he arrives at the cafe to meet Rip? Who does he see at the cafe?
2. Who is Finn? Why is Julian upset with Finn? What does Finn want Julian to do?
3. Describe Clay's experience with his father at Trumps.
4. Why do Clay, Rip, and Trent go to Dead's house? What do they do after they leave Dead's house?
5. Describe Clay's day traveling from New Hampshire to Los Angeles.
6. Why does Trent call Clay? What do Trent and Clay end up doing after they meet up with each other?
7. What information does Clay share with Trent while they are at Spago for appetizers and drinks?
8. Describe Clay's lunch with his father.
9. Describe Julian's reaction to Clay bringing the money to his house.
10. What is happening at Clay's mother's house when he eventually arrives home from the party he attended with Trent?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
The characters are all children of privilege with enormous amounts of money to buy almost anything they desire; however, none of them have a sense of connection with their parents. What type of relationship do the characters have with their parents? How do the children interact with their parents? Why is there no connection between the children and their parents? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Clay express his compassion? Provide at least three examples. Does he only express his compassion during certain times? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)