|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Clay wake up and leave Griffin's house?
2. On Christmas Eve, Daniel calls Clay to tell him what?
3. Who does Clay try to call while he is at his mother's house?
4. Who does Clay eat dinner with on Christmas Eve night?
5. Who does Clay do cocaine with at the club, The Edge?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of movie do Kim and Blair want to see? What does Clay do during the movie?
2. What discovery does Ross make in the alley? How do Rip and Clay react to the discovery?
3. What surprise does Rip have awaiting Trent and Clay in his apartment? What is wrong with his surprise?
4. Why does Trent call Clay? What do Trent and Clay end up doing after they meet up with each other?
5. What does Clay remember about the time he spent in Palm Springs for his grandfather's birthday?
6. Describe Clay's visit with the psychiatrist in Part 6 of the book.
7. What flashback does Clay have of his grandmother in Palm Springs when she had pancreatic cancer?
8. What occurs as Blair is driving Clay home from their date?
9. Why do Clay, Rip, and Trent go to Dead's house? What do they do after they leave Dead's house?
10. After meeting with Julian, how does Clay spend the remainder of his day?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why does Julian continuously have flashbacks of his life in Palm Springs? Why do these flashbacks seem to always focus on his grandmother and grandfather? Provide at least two reasons for each question and explain your reasons. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why are Clay and his friends fascinated with the dead boy the see in the alley? Why do the boys decide to stand around the body while they talk and smoke? Why do none of the characters inform the police about the dead boy's body? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,192 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)