|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In part 5, why does Trent call Clay?
2. Where do Blair, Kim, and Clay go to see a movie?
3. What is the relationship between Clay and Blair?
4. Where do Blair and Clay end up after Daniel's party?
5. Why do Blair and Kim pretend that they did not see Lene on television?
Short Essay Questions
1. What images stick in Clay's head after he hears a particular song while in Los Angeles on vacation?
2. What does Clay do over the next few days following Blair's Christmas Party? Who does he visit?
3. What happens to Clay on Christmas Eve after he finishes spending time with his family? How does he end his evening?
4. What does Clay remember about his last Christmas in Palm Springs? How does he spend Christmas while at home from school?
5. What does Clay remember about the time he spent in Palm Springs for his grandfather's birthday?
6. Why does Finn refuse to release Julian from working for him? What does Finn do when Julian begs and pleads for release?
7. What does Clay do on New Year's Eve night? Who does he spend it with? What happens?
8. Why does Clay visit his old elementary school? How has the school changed since his last visit there?
9. In Part 8, what is Daniel doing when Clay goes to visit him? What does Daniel want to talk about with Clay?
10. Describe Blair's Christmas party.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does the author include the scene in which Rip shows his friends the girl tied up in his apartment? How does the author use Clay and Spin to juxtapose each other in this scene? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Julian continuously have flashbacks of his life in Palm Springs? Why do these flashbacks seem to always focus on his grandmother and grandfather? Provide at least two reasons for each question and explain your reasons. Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,977 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)