|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What reason does Julian give for needing to borrow money from Clay?
2. After Clay locates Julian at his home in Part 4, where do they go to talk?
3. What is Lene wearing when Blair and Kim see her?
4. Who does Clay eat dinner with on Christmas Eve night?
5. What is Julian doing when Clay arrives at his house in Part 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Clay uncover about his friend Julian while visiting with Finn?
2. Why does Rip contact Clay? What happens when Clay shows up to meet Rip?
3. Why does Clay visit his old elementary school? How has the school changed since his last visit there?
4. What does Daniel wear to the party and why does he choose to wear certain articles of clothing?
5. How was the house when Clay arrived home? Who was home to greet him?
6. What type of movie do Kim and Blair want to see? What does Clay do during the movie?
7. Why do Clay, Rip, and Trent go to Dead's house? What do they do after they leave Dead's house?
8. Where does Clay go after leaving the club After Hours and who does he go with? What happens when he gets there?
9. What do Clay and Rip encounter while on Mulholland Drive? What does it remind them of?
10. Who is Finn? Why is Julian upset with Finn? What does Finn want Julian to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Blair mean when she says, "People are afraid to merge onto the freeway in Los Angeles" to Clay? What is the significance of this statement? Why does Clay focus on this statement so intensely? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does the author include the scene in which Rip shows his friends the girl tied up in his apartment? How does the author use Clay and Spin to juxtapose each other in this scene? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)