|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Muriel doing while while she is hiding out at Kim's house?
2. In part 5, why does Trent call Clay?
3. Where does Clay find his sisters on the morning after Christmas?
4. Why does Clay go home with Griffin?
5. After seeing his sisters, what does Clay do the morning after Christmas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Finn? Why is Julian upset with Finn? What does Finn want Julian to do?
2. What happens to Clay when he arrives at the cafe to meet Rip? Who does he see at the cafe?
3. Describe Clay's visit with the psychiatrist in Part 6 of the book.
4. Describe the scene of the party that Clay attends with Trent at the start of Part 2. What happens at the party? Who is at the party?
5. Why does Julian want to meet with Clay? What happens during their meeting?
6. Why does Clay meet up with Julian at the arcade? What news does Julian have for Clay?
7. What images stick in Clay's head after he hears a particular song while in Los Angeles on vacation?
8. Describe Clay's lunch with his father.
9. How was the house when Clay arrived home? Who was home to greet him?
10. What is happening at Clay's mother's house when he eventually arrives home from the party he attended with Trent?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Julian continuously have flashbacks of his life in Palm Springs? Why do these flashbacks seem to always focus on his grandmother and grandfather? Provide at least two reasons for each question and explain your reasons. Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Clay's relationship with Julian seems to be the most important throughout the novel. How does the author relay the importance of their relationship throughout the novel? Why does Julian's relationship with Clay seem significant even though Julian is absent for much of the novel? Why is it necessary to take into consideration that the significance of Clay and Julian's relationship is told from Clay's point of view? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
"Death" is an important theme in the novel and Clay seems to be obsessed with it. Why is Clay obsessed with death? How does he show his obsession with death? What role does "death" play in the novel? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,973 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)