|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On the way home from Griffin's house in Part 2, Clay is distracted by a billboard that says what?
2. After visiting with Muriel, where does Clay agree to meet Rip?
3. After seeing his sisters, what does Clay do the morning after Christmas?
4. Who calls Clay to set-up a meeting between him and Julian?
5. What did Clay do the day after he and his sisters were in Palm Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What discovery does Ross make in the alley? How do Rip and Clay react to the discovery?
2. Why does Alana visit Clay? What does she reveal to Clay during her visit?
3. Describe how Clay spends his time during the day on Christmas Eve.
4. Describe the scene at Julian's house on King's Road when Clay arrives.
5. What does Clay do to try to get more information about Julian from his friend Evan? What does Evan tell Clay about Julian?
6. What does Clay remember about his last Christmas in Palm Springs? How does he spend Christmas while at home from school?
7. What images stick in Clay's head after he hears a particular song while in Los Angeles on vacation?
8. After meeting with Julian, how does Clay spend the remainder of his day?
9. Describe Clay's lunch with his father.
10. In Part 8, what is Daniel doing when Clay goes to visit him? What does Daniel want to talk about with Clay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are Clay's reasons for visiting his psychiatrist during his vacation? What role does Clay's visits to his psychiatrist play in the novel? Why is it necessary for Clay to visit his psychiatrist? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Clay's relationship with Julian seems to be the most important throughout the novel. How does the author relay the importance of their relationship throughout the novel? Why does Julian's relationship with Clay seem significant even though Julian is absent for much of the novel? Why is it necessary to take into consideration that the significance of Clay and Julian's relationship is told from Clay's point of view? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Does the author use Julian to symbolize the degradation in the characters' drug-obsessed lifestyles? Why or why not? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)