|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clay stop on his way home from having lunch with his father?
2. Who makes the statement, "People are afraid to merge onto the freeway in Los Angeles."
3. Why do Blair and Kim pretend that they did not see Lene on television?
4. What does Clay's father spend his time doing through most of their lunch?
5. At the start of the Part 4, why do Clay and Blair go to Kim's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Clay spends his time during the day on Christmas Eve.
2. What does Clay remember about the party that occurred at the house of a friend of his cousin? What happened at the party?
3. What happens to Clay on Christmas Eve after he finishes spending time with his family? How does he end his evening?
4. What does Clay do to try to get more information about Julian from his friend Evan? What does Evan tell Clay about Julian?
5. Who does Clay attend the Christmas party with in Part 3 of the novel? Why do they choose to leave the party early? What do they do after they leave the party?
6. Describe Clay's visit with the psychiatrist in Part 6 of the book.
7. Where does Clay go after the party in Part 2? Why does he not go straight home?
8. Why does Clay visit Muriel? What happens during his visit with Muriel? What happens after his visit with Muriel?
9. What secret does Clay uncover about his friend Julian while visiting with Finn?
10. Where does Clay go after leaving the club After Hours and who does he go with? What happens when he gets there?
Essay Topic 1
How does the title of the novel, Less Than Zero, represent the story in the book? What does the title of the novel say about the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
How is Clay's relationship with his sisters? Why does the author leave Clay's sisters nameless throughout the novel? What does their show about Clay's relationship with his sisters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,945 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)