Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of car is parked in the driveway next to his mother's car when Clay arrives home from Griffin's house?
2. Who makes the statement, "People are afraid to merge onto the freeway in Los Angeles."
3. What type of movie do Blair and Kim want to see?
4. What is Clay's father's profession?
5. Why did Julian have someone else call Clay to arrange their meeting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprise does Rip have awaiting Trent and Clay in his apartment? What is wrong with his surprise?
2. Why does Clay go to the Roxy? Why is Rip upset while at the club?
3. Who does Clay attend the Christmas party with in Part 3 of the novel? Why do they choose to leave the party early? What do they do after they leave the party?
4. What does Clay remember about his last Christmas in Palm Springs? How does he spend Christmas while at home from school?
5. What type of movie do Kim and Blair want to see? What does Clay do during the movie?
6. Why do Clay, Rip, and Trent go to Dead's house? What do they do after they leave Dead's house?
7. What is happening at Clay's mother's house when he eventually arrives home from the party he attended with Trent?
8. Describe Clay's day traveling from New Hampshire to Los Angeles.
9. What happens to Clay on Christmas Eve after he finishes spending time with his family? How does he end his evening?
10. Who contacts Clay about meeting up with Julian and why did Julian not contact Clay? Where does Julian want to meet Clay? What happens when Clay arrives?
Essay Topic 1
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Clay's relationship with Julian seems to be the most important throughout the novel. How does the author relay the importance of their relationship throughout the novel? Why does Julian's relationship with Clay seem significant even though Julian is absent for much of the novel? Why is it necessary to take into consideration that the significance of Clay and Julian's relationship is told from Clay's point of view? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why are Clay and his friends fascinated with the dead boy the see in the alley? Why do the boys decide to stand around the body while they talk and smoke? Why do none of the characters inform the police about the dead boy's body? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)