|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Julian have someone else call Clay to arrange their meeting?
2. Who makes the statement, "People are afraid to merge onto the freeway in Los Angeles."
3. What drug dealer does Clay meet up with and do some hits of cocaine in an upstairs bathroom?
4. Who does Clay try to call while he is at his mother's house?
5. Where does Clay arrange to meet Julian?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clay visit Muriel? What happens during his visit with Muriel? What happens after his visit with Muriel?
2. What images stick in Clay's head after he hears a particular song while in Los Angeles on vacation?
3. Why does Julian want to meet with Clay? What happens during their meeting?
4. Describe Blair's Christmas party.
5. After meeting with Julian, how does Clay spend the remainder of his day?
6. What does Clay do to try to get more information about Julian from his friend Evan? What does Evan tell Clay about Julian?
7. Why does Clay meet up with Julian at the arcade? What news does Julian have for Clay?
8. What does Clay's psychiatrist tell him during his visit? How does Clay react?
9. Why does Clay call his psychiatrist in Part 8? What does he tell his psychiatrist?
10. What is happening at Kim's party when Blair and Clay arrive? What is Muriel doing at the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the title of the novel, Less Than Zero, represent the story in the book? What does the title of the novel say about the characters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Why does Clay agree to go along with Julian to his appointment? Why does Clay excuse himself during Julian's appointment? What does Clay have to do in order to stay at the hotel with Julian? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)