|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clay and his regular group of friends do on Christmas Eve?
2. Where does Kim say her mom is while Blair and Clay are visiting?
3. What type of car is parked in the driveway next to his mother's car when Clay arrives home from Griffin's house?
4. Who is at Clay's mother's house when he arrives from the airport?
5. What types of comments make Clay perk up at his psychiatrist visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Clay uncover about his friend Julian while visiting with Finn?
2. Why does Finn refuse to release Julian from working for him? What does Finn do when Julian begs and pleads for release?
3. Why does Clay visit Muriel? What happens during his visit with Muriel? What happens after his visit with Muriel?
4. What happens when Clay and Julian meet Finn at a night club?
5. After meeting with Julian, how does Clay spend the remainder of his day?
6. What does Clay do over the next few days following Blair's Christmas Party? Who does he visit?
7. What memories of Julian does Clay have while at the hotel and on the way to the club afterward?
8. Describe Clay's experience with his father at Trumps.
9. What does Clay do on New Year's Eve night? Who does he spend it with? What happens?
10. Why does Clay not agree with Spin's behavior at Rip's house? What is the argument between Clay and Rip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Clay's relationship with his sisters? Why does the author leave Clay's sisters nameless throughout the novel? What does their show about Clay's relationship with his sisters? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Why are all of the characters in the novel, Less Than Zero, in some stage of desperation? Why and how do they choose to numb the intensity of any possible alienation or pain? Please use specific examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
How does Clay express his compassion? Provide at least three examples. Does he only express his compassion during certain times? Please use specific examples from the book.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)