|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The prayer in Mannes' piece of writing gives thanks to the god of plenty, the god of profit, and the goddess of __________.
2. When a mother calls her daughter a little __________, she teaches her daughter to begin to admire herself.
3. Saint Bernard is criticized for riding a ________ while making his rounds to the poor, according to the book.
4. Voluntary Poverty is a cure for out-sized _____ and mankind's suffering, according to the ending of the book.
5. Nature has a major role in what man is given to _______ and to live a happy life, even when he doesn't realize it, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Seneca point out that man does not limit when it comes to the use of nature?
2. What happens when a person chooses not to buy items from those who manufacture them?
3. What is the mother teaching her daughter when she tells her that she is a little princess?
4. What does Gandhi discover as he has experienced both wealth and poverty?
5. What is the one gift that is provided by a transition to Voluntary Poverty, according to VandenBroeck?
6. What does this section say is a part of human nature, and Gandhi says one must have faith in the future?
7. What does Robert Graves point out about the ideas of money and poverty and poetry?
8. Though life is a struggle, what is the advice that Burroughs gives to the reader in this section?
9. What does this section say that children are taught at a young age, which might explain modern society?
10. What has the artist always been able to do, according to Honore de Balzac?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Man is destroying himself when he focuses all of his attention on money, according to the book.
Part 1: In what ways does man suffer when he is focused completely on money?
Part 2: Do you think that man needs to destroy himself when he has money?
Part 3: How do you think money can be used to create instead of to destroy?
Essay Topic 2
Not an uncommon idea, but the books says that technology is destroying the planet and mutilating mankind.
Part 1: Why do you think people people believe that technology is hurting mankind?
Part 2: How do you think technology and mankind can exist peacefully?
Part 3: Do you think you could give up technology entirely? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
At the same time, there is a message that the rich are also slaves to their own wealth.
Part 1: How can a rich person be a slave to their own wealth?
Part 2: Do you think it's a bad thing to be a slave to one's own wealth and prosperity?
Part 3: Why do you think the rich might suffer in their lives, even though they might not want for anything?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)