|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book proposes that the wealthy in the world are the ones who are able to establish the ___________ in the world.
2. Michael Harrington points out that there is virtue in choosing _________ over the desolation of empty abundance.
3. The book notes that we have forgotten that the ________ of poverty allows for the soul to be free from constraints.
4. Every movement of humanity and _______ is one that leads toward simplicity, according to the book.
5. Plutarch is happy that his only ________ is lost at sea because he will be able to live the life of a philosopher.
Short Essay Questions
1. How can the hunger for the mostly empty goals in society and in life be thwarted, according to the book?
2. What is the idea or thing that metes out everything that man needs in order to be happy in life, according to Taylor?
3. Illich says that the world is divided into two different camps, what are these two camps?
4. What is poverty if it is not the end goal of the creative community, according to Michael Harrington?
5. What are the essential aspects of life that are not for sale, according to this section of the book?
6. What is the ancient concept that has been missing from society for a long time, according to this section?
7. What is the desired goal of having less if the goal is not to be destitute?
8. What is the question that arises from the story of the man on the boat, according to Ruskin?
9. What does Horace Gregory describe money as being, according to his section in the book?
10. What is the power that is said to be intrinsic in the world able to do within society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not an uncommon idea, but the books says that technology is destroying the planet and mutilating mankind.
Part 1: Why do you think people people believe that technology is hurting mankind?
Part 2: How do you think technology and mankind can exist peacefully?
Part 3: Do you think you could give up technology entirely? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of poverty is one that can scare people as well as make them curious to find out more.
Part 1: How do you define what is poverty and what is not poverty?
Part 2: What do you think happens in order to make a person a part of the poorer society?
Part 3: Why do you think poverty is often looked at as a negative thing?
Essay Topic 3
When the man with the belt of gold decides that he does not want to remove his belt as the ship is sinking, it makes the reader realize the strangeness of money and greed.
Part 1: Why do you think the man hesitates to take off the belt of gold?
Part 2: What would you do if you were the man with the belt of gold?
Part 3: Is there ever a reason to let money be a priority in one's life?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)