|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book points out that it is difficult to leave a life that has comfort in __________ and the easy life.
2. Society looks down upon the poor, thinking that they lack ________ which is what has led them to their position in society.
3. What is in the belt of the man who refuses to take the belt off, though it might cause him to drown?
4. There seems to be a hunger for __________, but this hunger can be sated when alternative ideas are presented i society.
5. ________ says that the only purpose of having money is to use it. There can be no other reason, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the question that arises from the story of the man on the boat, according to Ruskin?
2. What does mass production do to the family, according to the section by Jean Rousseau?
3. How is the poor man separated from the destitute man, according to the book?
4. What is the significance of Fortune stopping the wheel, according to the writing of Boethius?
5. What does the civilized world lack these days which it did not lack in the past, according to Schumacher?
6. What does Mildred Binns Young's thesis state about the rich in this section of the book?
7. What does James conclude to be the worst moral disease in society?
8. What does Clement of Alexandria have to say about a man who is truly rich?
9. What are the essential aspects of life that are not for sale, according to this section of the book?
10. When does Thoreau say that he feels rich in his own life, according to this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not an uncommon idea, but the books says that technology is destroying the planet and mutilating mankind.
Part 1: Why do you think people people believe that technology is hurting mankind?
Part 2: How do you think technology and mankind can exist peacefully?
Part 3: Do you think you could give up technology entirely? Support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The idea of poverty is one that can scare people as well as make them curious to find out more.
Part 1: How do you define what is poverty and what is not poverty?
Part 2: What do you think happens in order to make a person a part of the poorer society?
Part 3: Why do you think poverty is often looked at as a negative thing?
Essay Topic 3
The book states quite succinctly that no man is without his work, even when he is not gainfully employed.
Part 1: How do you define the idea of work?
Part 2: Why do you think that man is always at work, even when he is not getting paid to do it?
Part 3: Do you believe that you need to get paid for an activity in order for it to be called work?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)