|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Man's obligation is to live under ________in all of his actions, according to this part of the book.
2. Starting off this section is the poem "Lady ________" which talks more about the life of simplicity and what it has to offer."
3. Francis learns the ballads of ________ from his mother who hails from that area, which has seen the birth of poverty.
4. Most people of today do not understand the ________ that awaits them if they choose not to be rich in their lives, according to the book.
5. The ________ can subsist within itself, providing enough food and clothing for the members within, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the downsides to being wealthy, according to this section of the book?
2. What is the idea or thing that metes out everything that man needs in order to be happy in life, according to Taylor?
3. What does James say that society does when it sees a person who is poor and downtrodden?
4. What does mass production do to the family, according to the section by Jean Rousseau?
5. What does Gandhi say is the only true way for mankind to have equality in the world?
6. Who is Lady of Pecunia and what does she represent in society?
7. How is the poor man separated from the destitute man, according to the book?
8. What does the first section have to say about man and what his obligation is in life?
9. What is the significance of Fortune stopping the wheel, according to the writing of Boethius?
10. What are the essential aspects of life that are not for sale, according to this section of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the book, ego is defined as a non-productive luxury that stands in the way of one's true worth.
Part 1: Do you think that ego gets in your way? Why or why not?
Part 2: In what way is ego a luxury in life, as stated in the book?
Part 3: How do you think your life would look if you didn't have ego to worry about?
Essay Topic 2
The book points out that man is neither good nor evil, but may be a bit of both.
Part 1: Why do you think that man is not necessarily good?
Part 2: How do you think a person can be neither good nor evil?
Part 3: Do you think man needs to be good or evil? Or can he/she be a bit of both? Is this possible?
Essay Topic 3
Some people choose to have a smaller salary, saying they are happier even though they are making less money.
Part 1: Do you think that you would be happy with a smaller salary?
Part 2: Why do you think that people are happier when they're not making a lot of money?
Part 3: How do you think that making less money would change your life right now?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)