|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The woman represents __________ because men love women, according to the book.
2. What is the name of the book that Michael Harrington contributed to? "The Other _________."
3. Much has been given to those from whom much will be required, thus men are neither equally gifted or __________, according to the book.
4. __________ tells a story of a passenger on a ship that is going to sink, according to the book.
5. ____________ writes that a few people know when they have enough and even fewer know how to use it.
(a) Joseph Campbell.
(b) Ivan Illich.
(c) William James.
(d) William Penn.
Short Answer Questions
1. The civilized world lacks philosophers and _______ who can warn against the destructiveness of materialism.
2. The book notes that we have forgotten that the ________ of poverty allows for the soul to be free from constraints.
3. A ________ proverb points out that the gods only laugh at man when men pray to them for wealth, according to the book.
4. Today's economic structure is built to support the relatively few but super _________ in society.
5. It is the ______ man who often bungles his chance to choose his own experience within the confines of wealth.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does mass production do to the family, according to the section by Jean Rousseau?
2. What happens when Francis is about to marry a wealthy woman?
3. When does Thoreau say that he feels rich in his own life, according to this section?
4. What does the invention of free time, as given by mass production, cause a man to do?
5. Illich says that the world is divided into two different camps, what are these two camps?
6. How does the Japanese proverb put the ideas of money and wealth into perspective?
7. What is the ancient concept that has been missing from society for a long time, according to this section?
8. What is the power that is said to be intrinsic in the world able to do within society?
9. What does the civilized world lack these days which it did not lack in the past, according to Schumacher?
10. What happens when a rich man discards clothing that is too old?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)