|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeremy _______ writes that the status we call poverty is actually supposed to be called nature, according to the book and to the way he thinks.
2. Confucious says that the highest good is to hold fast to the ________, meaning one must live a life of moderation and contentment.
(a) Golden Mean.
(b) Golden Road.
(d) Golden Honor.
3. Health and _________ are just two of the many aspects of life that are not for sale.
4. St. Teresa of Avila speaks of the _______ of the vow of poverty, the foundation of the Order which she established.
5. The rich are actually _________ to their own wealth, having to do much in order to keep it around.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ writes that a few people know when they have enough and even fewer know how to use it.
2. _________ is not the desired goal of the person who wants to be more spiritual or focused, according to the book.
3. Francis contemplates ___________ to a noble and wealthy woman, but reality strikes him later of this choice.
4. Michael Harrington points out that there is virtue in choosing _________ over the desolation of empty abundance.
5. ________ says that the only purpose of having money is to use it. There can be no other reason, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Illich says that the world is divided into two different camps, what are these two camps?
2. What does Horace Gregory describe money as being, according to his section in the book?
3. What is the ancient concept that has been missing from society for a long time, according to this section?
4. What does mass production do to the family, according to the section by Jean Rousseau?
5. What is the significance of Fortune stopping the wheel, according to the writing of Boethius?
6. What does the first section have to say about man and what his obligation is in life?
7. What happens when Francis is about to marry a wealthy woman?
8. What does Gandhi say is the only true way for mankind to have equality in the world?
9. How can the hunger for the mostly empty goals in society and in life be thwarted, according to the book?
10. What is the societal status of St. Francis of Assisi before he begins his work as a monk?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)