|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Gandhi feels pulled into the ________, so he gives up what he has so as to not be influenced by outside sources.
(a) Soulful life.
(b) Truthful wisdom.
(c) Political coil.
(d) Mortal coil.
2. __________ tells a story of a passenger on a ship that is going to sink, according to the book.
3. The woman represents __________ because men love women, according to the book.
4. Francis learns the ballads of ________ from his mother who hails from that area, which has seen the birth of poverty.
5. William _______ is paraphrased when it is said that man is rich in virtues when he wants to use what he has in a holy manner.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ may step in to define the values of society if man does not try to do this on his own.
2. Horace Gregory refers to money as the invisible ________ against the human spirit, according to the book.
3. The wise and _______ man has always made it a goal to be unencumbered by things or wealth, according to the book.
4. __________ asserts that the praises of poverty need once more be boldly sung, according to the book.
5. Jean _________ speaks of the happiness of the family in his writings, according to the book in the beginning of this section.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clement of Alexandria have to say about a man who is truly rich?
2. When does Thoreau say that he feels rich in his own life, according to this section?
3. Why is it difficult to reject the easy life and the comfort of materialism?
4. Illich says that the world is divided into two different camps, what are these two camps?
5. What are the essential aspects of life that are not for sale, according to this section of the book?
6. What is the question that arises from the story of the man on the boat, according to Ruskin?
7. How does Schumacher define the idea of temperantia within this section of the book?
8. What is the power that is said to be intrinsic in the world able to do within society?
9. Who is Lady of Pecunia and what does she represent in society?
10. What are some of the downsides to being wealthy, according to this section of the book?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)