|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Plutarch is happy that his only ________ is lost at sea because he will be able to live the life of a philosopher.
(b) Money pouch.
2. The book notes that we have forgotten that the ________ of poverty allows for the soul to be free from constraints.
3. What is NOT listed as one of the world's new teachers in relation to materialism, according to the book?
4. An austere existence opens the path to growth in _________ and in love, according to the book's contents in this section.
5. Seneca proclaims that the _______ provided by nature is adequately abundant, even though most people do not realize it or recognize it.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the family is __________ in society and not connected to others, then it can be truly happy, according to the book.
2. Man's obligation is to live under ________in all of his actions, according to this part of the book.
3. A ________ proverb points out that the gods only laugh at man when men pray to them for wealth, according to the book.
4. The poor man is made ________ by the rich man's gift, though the rich man is ashamed of the thing that he has given.
5. Much has been given to those from whom much will be required, thus men are neither equally gifted or __________, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lady of Pecunia and what does she represent in society?
2. What is the significance of Fortune stopping the wheel, according to the writing of Boethius?
3. Illich says that the world is divided into two different camps, what are these two camps?
4. What does James conclude to be the worst moral disease in society?
5. What does Dorothy Day explain the difference between when she contributes to the book?
6. What does Clement of Alexandria have to say about a man who is truly rich?
7. What does mass production do to the family, according to the section by Jean Rousseau?
8. Why is it difficult to reject the easy life and the comfort of materialism?
9. What happens to Plutarch, but it allows him to live a life of a philosopher?
10. What does James say that society does when it sees a person who is poor and downtrodden?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)