|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Within the country of America, according to the book, the idea of leisure is seen as an interruption of ___________.
2. No ________ that is bought, according to Seneca, is respectable, according to this section of the book.
3. Gandhi says that a follower of the Laws of ________ need to have faith and does not need to save for the future when he does.
4. _________ points out that while there is no money in poetry, there is also no poetry in money, according to the book.
(a) Henry David Thoreau.
(b) Joseph Campbell.
(c) Robert Graves.
(d) Walt Whitman.
5. Socrates overheard someone else talking about how expensive ________ was at the time, according to the book.
6. _________ is not helpful unless it teaches a person to live the simple life, according to the writing of Seneca in this part of the book.
7. Children should be taught that ________ is for warmth, for modesty, and for protection, according to the book.
8. __________ should be left behind, according to the book, once wealth and possessions have been renounced by a person.
(b) Older people.
9. The United States would be the leader of a _______ world if it were to give excess possessions to those in the world who are in need.
10. ________ speaks to the reader of the inherent fear of worry of losing the riches one has, according to the book.
11. _________ finds one can worship more devoutly when he/she is poor and without material possessions, according to the book.
(b) Mother Teresa.
(d) The Pope.
12. Saint Bernard says that he does not notice the _________ of his method of getting around, according to the book.
13. Marcus Aurelius writes how __________ is a life-long experience, according to his writing in this section of the book.
14. Marcus Aurelius speaks of a ______ life so busy that it has no leisure, according to the book, which is not pleasant to him.
15. ________ writes that the West is over-consuming the resources of the world and sinking itself into disaster, according to the book.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what century did Minucius Felix live, according to the notes in this section of the book?
2. It is not a good idea to put too much emphasis on one's __________ at the detriment of leisure, according to the book.
3. Man struggles with how to live his life and with what __________ will be most satisfying, according to the book.
4. Gandhi has experienced both ________ and poverty, but chooses poverty as this seems to help his work.
5. A person should not allow possessions to have any __________ in life, as this will cause the baggage to be a bother.
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)