|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Today's economic structure is built to support the relatively few but super _________ in society.
2. __________ tells a story of a passenger on a ship that is going to sink, according to the book.
3. The celebrations of the rich are like __________, according to Mercier when he speaks in this section of the book.
4. Man must get rid of all he owns in order to tap into the ________ which lie within him, according to the book.
5. When the family is __________ in society and not connected to others, then it can be truly happy, according to the book.
6. The civilized world lacks philosophers and _______ who can warn against the destructiveness of materialism.
7. When a man is able to discard __________, according to the book, he will be able to discover his own sense of contentment.
8. What is the job of St. Francis of Assisi's father when he is growing up in the world?
9. Louis Mercier speaks of the _________ of the rich, how their furniture can seem like stage pieces, according to the book.
10. After meeting with the _________, Francis decides to give up all that he owns and he lives a life of poverty, according to the book.
11. Michael Harrington points out that there is virtue in choosing _________ over the desolation of empty abundance.
12. Man's obligation is to live under ________in all of his actions, according to this part of the book.
13. What is the name of the writer of the poem at the start of this chapter, according to the book?
(a) Ralph Waldo Emerson.
(b) William James.
(c) John Milton.
(d) Richard Barnfield.
14. The book points out that it is difficult to leave a life that has comfort in __________ and the easy life.
15. The goal of the frugal __________ is the goal of the man who needs some, but doesn't want to be weighed down by possessions.
Short Answer Questions
1. The book proposes that the wealthy in the world are the ones who are able to establish the ___________ in the world.
2. __________ asserts that the praises of poverty need once more be boldly sung, according to the book.
3. Horace Gregory refers to money as the invisible ________ against the human spirit, according to the book.
4. Confucious says that the highest good is to hold fast to the ________, meaning one must live a life of moderation and contentment.
5. George _______ writes that when man has what he wants, he is rich, but when he is able to do without what he wants, he is powerful.
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)