|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what location does Gavroche rescue Thénardier in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What is the title of Book II of Part III – Marius?
3. In Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis, Gavroche discovers two abandoned hungry children and uses his money to buy them food without realizing they are what?
4. Cosette spends her time in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis longing for the young man from where?
5. Approximately how old is Gavroche in Book I of Part III – Marius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marius go to see his father in Book III of Part III – Marius? What does he find at his father’s home?
2. Where does Gavroche live in the beginning of Part III – Marius? Who are Gavroche’s parents?
3. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
4. Who introduces Marius to the Friends of the ABC in Book IV of Part III – Marius? What are Marius’s impressions of the group?
5. What leads to conflict between Jean Valjean and Cosette in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
7. Who raised Marius Pontmercy? How is this character described in Book II of Part III – Marius?
8. What internal conflict does Marius face in Book VIII of Part III – Marius? How is the conflict resolved?
9. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
10. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
a. Discuss the plot structure of Les Miserables. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Les Miserables compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Victor Hugo’s writing?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Javert in the novel. What is Javert’s principle concern with Jean Valjean? How do Javert’s actions in Book V of Part I – Fantine help to define his character? How does Javert’s character evolve throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Church and monasticism in France and author Victor Hugo’s commentary on monasticism in the novel. What does the author assert monasticism leads to? Would you say he’s a proponent or opponent of monasticism? Why?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)