|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What is the name of Marius Pontmercy’s father?
3. The Friends of the ABC is led by what fiery student in Part III – Marius?
4. What is the name of the churchwarden who tells Marius in Book III of Part III – Marius that his father came to Mass to see him?
5. What is Book IV’s title in Part IV – Saint Denis?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the outbreak of the June Rebellion described in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
2. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
3. How does Gavroche help the revolutionaries in Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis?
4. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
5. What information does Eponine leak to Marius about Cosette in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. Why does Marius go to see his father in Book III of Part III – Marius? What does he find at his father’s home?
7. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
8. How does the narrator describe Marius’s progression in school in Book V of Part III – Marius? What is his financial situation like?
9. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
10. What leads to conflict between Jean Valjean and Cosette in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the author’s use of a third-person omniscient narrator in Les Miserables. Why do you think the narrator chose this perspective? What are the advantages of this narrative style? What are the disadvantages?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the Church and monasticism in France and author Victor Hugo’s commentary on monasticism in the novel. What does the author assert monasticism leads to? Would you say he’s a proponent or opponent of monasticism? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the Society of the Rights of Man and its role in the Paris Uprising of 1832. Where did this secret society form? What were its beliefs? How does the Society of the Rights of Man compare with the Friends of the ABC in Les Miserables?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)