|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After discovering the handkerchief he believes is Cosette’s, Marius re-nicknames her what in Part III – Marius?
2. What thief pounces on Jean Valjean in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What does Eponine write on a piece of paper to prove she’s literate in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
4. What is the title of Book VII in Part IV – Saint Denis?
5. Gavroche’s makeshift home in Book VI of Part IV – Saint Denis is inside a statue of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What historical event is described in Book I of Part IV – Saint Denis? What consequences of this event does the narrator point out?
2. What information does Eponine leak to Marius about Cosette in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What consumes Marius’s mind in Book II of Part IV – Saint Denis? Where does he spend his time?
4. Where does Gavroche live in the beginning of Part III – Marius? Who are Gavroche’s parents?
5. Who introduces Marius to the Friends of the ABC in Book IV of Part III – Marius? What are Marius’s impressions of the group?
6. What exchange takes place between Marius and Monsieur Gillenormand in Book VIII of Part IV – Saint Denis?
7. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
8. How is Marius led to Cosette’s whereabouts in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
9. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
10. What is the “Patron-Minette” and who comprises this group?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character Fauchelevent in the novel. Where is the reader first introduced to Fauchelevent? Why does Fauchelevent agree to help Jean Valjean at Petit-Picpus? What are Fauchelevent’s impressions of Jean Valjean and Cosette?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the following four characters from Book I – Fantine: Tholomyès, Listolier, Fameuil, and Blacheville. What is each character’s relationship to the others? How would you describe their financial situations? What are the characters studying?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Battle of Waterloo and the reign of Napoleon Bonaparte as Emperor of France. When was the battle fought? How many battles comprised the Napoleonic Wars? What was the outcome of Waterloo?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)