|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cosette spends her time in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis longing for the young man from where?
2. What group in 1830 supported the deposed Bourbon dynasty?
3. Where did the insurgents in the Paris Uprising of 1832 make their stronghold?
4. Book X of Part IV – Saint Denis is set on what date?
5. What is the title of Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What attack does Gavroche witness in Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? What is the outcome of the conflict?
2. What leads to conflict between Jean Valjean and Cosette in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
3. What historical event is described in Book I of Part IV – Saint Denis? What consequences of this event does the narrator point out?
4. What are Marius’s impressions of Cosette when he first sees her in Book VI of Part III – Marius?
5. How does Marius inject himself into the lives of Cosette and Valjean in Book V of Part IV – Saint Denis?
6. How is the setting of “The House on Rue Plumet” described in Book III of Part IV – Saint Denis?
7. What does Gavroche do at the end of Book IV of Part IV – Saint Denis? Who benefits from Gavroche’s action?
8. How is Marius led to Cosette’s whereabouts in Book VIII of Part III – Marius?
9. What does Marius learn about his father from Mabeuf in Book III of Part III – Marius? How does this information affect Marius?
10. How does the narrator describe Marius’s progression in school in Book V of Part III – Marius? What is his financial situation like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Charles Myriel in the novel. In what year was Charles Myriel born? Charles Myriel was forced to flee Italy during the French Revolution of what year? Whom did Charles Myriel have a chance encounter with in 1806 that led to his current position? How do Myriel’s actions affect Jean Valjean?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Fantine’s obstacles as she searches for work in Book IV of Part I – Fantine. Why does Cosette’s presence threaten Fantine’s ability to find a job? Do you agree or disagree with Fantine’s choice to leave Cosette with the innkeepers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the trial of Champmathieu in Part I – Fantine. Why does this trial cause Jean Valjean internal conflict? What will occur if Valjean steps forward with his true identity? What will happen if he doesn’t?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)