|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fauchelevent actually carry out of the convent in a coffin in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
2. Fauchelevent tells Valjean that he and Cosette are in the garden of what convent in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
3. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
4. Fauchelevent believes that Valjean is hiding from whom in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
5. To how many years in prison was Jean Valjean initially sentenced for stealing a loaf of bread?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of the Battle of Waterloo for the French, according to the narrator in Book I of Part II – Cosette?
2. How is the character of Javert described in Part I – Fantine? What role does Javert play in the novel?
3. How does Jean Valjean succeed in rescuing Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
4. In whose care does Fantine leave Cosette in Part I – Fantine? How is Cosette treated by these characters?
5. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
6. What information is related from the character named Boulatruelle in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
7. What tips Javert off to Jean Valjean’s trail in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
8. How old is Cosette when she is reintroduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette? How is her living situation described?
9. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
10. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Fantine’s obstacles as she searches for work in Book IV of Part I – Fantine. Why does Cosette’s presence threaten Fantine’s ability to find a job? Do you agree or disagree with Fantine’s choice to leave Cosette with the innkeepers? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character Fauchelevent in the novel. Where is the reader first introduced to Fauchelevent? Why does Fauchelevent agree to help Jean Valjean at Petit-Picpus? What are Fauchelevent’s impressions of Jean Valjean and Cosette?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the character of Javert in the novel. What is Javert’s principle concern with Jean Valjean? How do Javert’s actions in Book V of Part I – Fantine help to define his character? How does Javert’s character evolve throughout the novel?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)