|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does M. Myriel insist that Jean Valjean take with him when he is brought back to Myriel’s home by the police?
2. Fantine is fired from her job at the factory for what reason in Book V of Part I – Fantine?
3. What is the name of the police inspector who acts as a nemesis to Jean Valjean throughout Les Miserables?
4. Why was Jean Valjean’s prison sentence extended?
5. Who is Cosette’s mother in the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the significance of the Battle of Waterloo for the French, according to the narrator in Book I of Part II – Cosette?
2. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
3. How has Jean Valjean changed after he’s been out of prison for two years in Part I – Fantine? How does Jean Valjean first encounter Fantine?
4. How does Jean Valjean succeed in rescuing Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
5. What does Bishop Myriel tell Jean Valjean about his suffering in Part I – Fantine?
6. How is Fantine’s position in society described when she is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
7. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
8. From what narrative point of view is Les Miserables related? What are the characteristics of this narrative style?
9. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
10. What internal conflict does Jean Valjean face in Book VI of Part I – Fantine? How does he resolve the conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Charles Myriel in the novel. In what year was Charles Myriel born? Charles Myriel was forced to flee Italy during the French Revolution of what year? Whom did Charles Myriel have a chance encounter with in 1806 that led to his current position? How do Myriel’s actions affect Jean Valjean?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the following four characters from Book I – Fantine: Tholomyès, Listolier, Fameuil, and Blacheville. What is each character’s relationship to the others? How would you describe their financial situations? What are the characters studying?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the motif of industrialization and technological progress seen in Les Miserables. How does the author use the progress in Montreuil-sur-mer to address the greater issues resulting from industrialization worldwide? Do you think Hugo views industrialization as a positive or negative influence on society? Why?
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)