|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was defeated at the Battle of Waterloo?
2. Whom does Fantine beg to look after her daughter as she seeks work in Part I – Fantine?
3. How old is Cosette when she is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
4. What is the title of Book IV of Part I – Fantine?
5. What is the name of Fantine’s daughter in Part I – Fantine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author comment on regarding monasticism in Book VII of Part II – Cosette?
2. How old is Cosette when she is reintroduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette? How is her living situation described?
3. How does Jean Valjean succeed in rescuing Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
4. What was the significance of the Battle of Waterloo for the French, according to the narrator in Book I of Part II – Cosette?
5. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
6. What leads to Jean Valjean’s epiphany in Book II of Part I – Fantine? What does he realize?
7. What tips Javert off to Jean Valjean’s trail in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
8. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
9. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
10. When and where does the narrative begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine? How is Bishop Myriel described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the Society of the Rights of Man and its role in the Paris Uprising of 1832. Where did this secret society form? What were its beliefs? How does the Society of the Rights of Man compare with the Friends of the ABC in Les Miserables?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the trial of Champmathieu in Part I – Fantine. Why does this trial cause Jean Valjean internal conflict? What will occur if Valjean steps forward with his true identity? What will happen if he doesn’t?
Essay Topic 3
a. Discuss the plot structure of Les Miserables. In what ways is the narrative related and what effect does this have on the reader?
b. How does Les Miserables compare with other novels written during this time period? Are there specific stylistic elements that can be seen in Victor Hugo’s writing?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)