|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. By what name does Fauchelevent address Jean Valjean when he first meets him in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
2. What are the names of the Thénardiers’ two daughters whom they spoil?
3. What officer promises to always remember Thénardier for saving his life in Book I of Part II – Cosette?
4. What are the two luxuries that Charles Myriel holds onto out of consideration for his housekeeper?
5. How old is Cosette when she is introduced in Book III of Part II – Cosette?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Jean Valjean’s epiphany in Book II of Part I – Fantine? What does he realize?
2. What internal conflict does Jean Valjean face in Book VI of Part I – Fantine? How does he resolve the conflict?
3. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
4. What does Bishop Myriel tell Jean Valjean about his suffering in Part I – Fantine?
5. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
6. How does Jean Valjean respond to the advice of Bishop Myriel in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where do his actions lead him?
7. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
8. How is Fantine’s position in society described when she is introduced in Part I – Fantine?
9. In whose care does Fantine leave Cosette in Part I – Fantine? How is Cosette treated by these characters?
10. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of Gavroche in Les Miserables. How did Gavroche come to be a street urchin? What does this term mean? Who are Gavroche’s parents? What has led Gavroche’s parents to abandon him?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jean Valjean’s rescue of Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette. How much money does he agree to give the Thénardiers? Why? How does Jean Valjean respond when the Thénardiers attempt to stop him from taking Cosette after he’s paid them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the shifts in the narrative style of Les Miserables. Where in the novel does the author step out of the action to provide commentary on politics, culture, history, and opinion? How do Hugo’s digressions affect you as a reader? How do these chapters stand in relation to the plot?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)