|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where in France does the novel begin in Book I of Part I – Fantine?
2. What is the title of Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
3. Who is the convict on the chain gang who saves the sailor from drowning on the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
4. Fauchelevent tells the nuns that Jean Valjean is his brother named what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
5. Fauchelevent helps Jean Valjean secure work as what in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jean Valjean escape and reenter the convent in Book VIII of Part II – Cosette?
2. How is the history of Petit-Picpus described in Book VI of Part II – Cosette?
3. What is related in the newspaper article concerning the Orion in Book II of Part II – Cosette?
4. What tips Javert off to Jean Valjean’s trail in Book IV of Part II – Cosette?
5. How does Jean Valjean respond to the advice of Bishop Myriel in Book II of Part I – Fantine? Where do his actions lead him?
6. How does Jean Valjean escape from the dead-end alleyway in Book V of Part II – Cosette?
7. How is the character of Javert described in Part I – Fantine? What role does Javert play in the novel?
8. What was the significance of the Battle of Waterloo for the French, according to the narrator in Book I of Part II – Cosette?
9. How has Jean Valjean changed after he’s been out of prison for two years in Part I – Fantine? How does Jean Valjean first encounter Fantine?
10. Who does Jean Valjean meet in the garden in Book V of Part II – Cosette? Where has he met this character before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the Church and monasticism in France and author Victor Hugo’s commentary on monasticism in the novel. What does the author assert monasticism leads to? Would you say he’s a proponent or opponent of monasticism? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Jean Valjean’s rescue of Cosette in Book III of Part II – Cosette. How much money does he agree to give the Thénardiers? Why? How does Jean Valjean respond when the Thénardiers attempt to stop him from taking Cosette after he’s paid them?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the shifts in the narrative style of Les Miserables. Where in the novel does the author step out of the action to provide commentary on politics, culture, history, and opinion? How do Hugo’s digressions affect you as a reader? How do these chapters stand in relation to the plot?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)